LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 285 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Really didn't like the interception. Hopefully it was just a "we'll beat the Patriots anyway, gotta get Aiyuk his first TD" shot. Doing that with a 14-point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter is inexcusable.

He had some really good deep throws though. He's on track to be our franchise QB

he will learn.....

He is coming off a nearly flawless week that the media kept asking him about one throw.....well.....he lost a defender in coverage, tried the throw and got picked off......
There is a balance to taking shots...he will get there....

Lord knows we have watched guys do less with more

If they can figure out how to keep teams from taking away that bread and butter deep crossing stuff they like to throw, plus mix in some deep connections he will be a 300-400 yard passer week in and week out.

I think it is absolutely critical that he keeps taking those shots. Yes, a bit smarter, but in my mind that shows command. It also means, regardless of whether it is with this version of the team or not, we have a chance with #13 back there.

It is kinda funny that he went a week with guys saying "just throw it deep to Aiyuk even if you're not sure of the coverage" and this week he did just that and was picked. If I was big on conspiracy theories I'd almost think he did it to prove a point about wanting to be sure where the defenders are before chucking it deep.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 30, 2024 at 5:01 PM ]
Purdy proving he is a true baller.
To expand on that, overall I think it's mostly due to analytics.

Silky is correct when he's talking about teams copying each other. Ball control is more key now a days. A short pass is just as good. Teams are playing a lot of 2 safety coverages from what I keep seeing/hearing. INT #s overall look down as well so it correlates. Teams just seem to playing more safe, taking advantage of the pass coverage LBs and pass rushing DTs, so it's made it easier to run the ball as well. Then I think one of the most important issues is OL play in the league.

There just aren't enough quality OL to field a good s5 for most teams. DL talent has just surpassed OL talent by a lot. QBs just don't have to time to go through progressions and find the open guy. Hence the quick, 3-4 yard passes, less down the field passes / completions. Saw a crazy stat yesterday that Pat's 54 yard pass was his longest since 2022 .
Really didn't like the interception. Hopefully it was just a "we'll beat the Patriots anyway, gotta get Aiyuk his first TD" shot. Doing that with a 14-point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter is inexcusable.

He had some really good deep throws though. He's on track to be our franchise QB

Interceptions are never good. However, doing it with a 14 point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter might be the best time one could throw one. I mean, when would be a more ideal time to make a mistake? Big lead, deep in opponent territory, 4th quarter.....whats a better time?

I didnt have nearly the issue with Brock making a mistake there than you clearly do. It was kind of like a heat check 3 point shot attempt.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Interceptions are never good. However, doing it with a 14 point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter might be the best time one could throw one. I mean, when would be a more ideal time to make a mistake? Big lead, deep in opponent territory, 4th quarter.....whats a better time?

I didnt have nearly the issue with Brock making a mistake there than you clearly do. It was kind of like a heat check 3 point shot attempt.

Really? That's an interesting mindset there.

I doubt any coach/smart QB in the NFL is like ya, lets test s**t out in the 4th QT and see what happens, while it's only a 2 score game... lol. Plays like that is what you do early in the game for the most part.

Same time, I doubt what Fanatic said was Purdy's mindset on that play. Just a bad read, it happens.
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Sep 30, 2024 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by Dshearn:

he will learn.....

He is coming off a nearly flawless week that the media kept asking him about one throw.....well.....he lost a defender in coverage, tried the throw and got picked off......
There is a balance to taking shots...he will get there....

Lord knows we have watched guys do less with more

If they can figure out how to keep teams from taking away that bread and butter deep crossing stuff they like to throw, plus mix in some deep connections he will be a 300-400 yard passer week in and week out.

I think it is absolutely critical that he keeps taking those shots. Yes, a bit smarter, but in my mind that shows command. It also means, regardless of whether it is with this version of the team or not, we have a chance with #13 back there.

I think the days of the 300-400 yard passer are dwindling away. I'm not saying they won't happen anymore, but QBs are throwing a historically low number of yards this year. It's all about a good run game, deceptive reverses, short passing game to create yac. Alot of teams are mimicking each other. Even Mahomes hasn't hit 300 yards this season yet. I think scoring and the total number of TDs are historically low as well.

Maybe everyone sucks and we are living in the post legends era? Are we watching extremely mid football being played by almost everyone?

The consensus second and third-best QBs in the league are probably Josh Allen and Joe Burrow. The consensus best QB in the NFC is either Dak, Purdy or a 36-year-old Stafford.

I always thought Andrew Luck was a tad overrated, but there's a good chance he's considered a top 3 QB in the league if he's still playing.

I definitely think this all says something about QB play around the league. The days of Brady-Manning-Brees-Rodgers are long gone.

Yea at one point it was Both Mannings, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers who was just pure entertainment, and several others.

Todays Top 5 sucks. Barely anyone even has a SB besides Pat. My list is Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Purdy, and Stroud. None of them besides Pat have a historic playoff win let alone a SB. The days of the legendary QBs are gone

I'm sorry what were we talking about
[ Edited by Silky on Sep 30, 2024 at 6:04 PM ]
It's Patrick Mahomes...

A fair distance.

Everyone else.
Originally posted by Silky:
Yea at one point it was Both Mannings, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers who was just pure entertainment, and several others.

Todays Top 5 sucks. Barely anyone even has a SB besides Pat. My list is Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Purdy, and Stroud. None of them besides Pat have a historic playoff win let alone a SB. The days of the legendary QBs are gone

I'm sorry what were we talking about

Purdy & SF comeback against Lions was fairly historic.

INEXCUSABLE

relax, man
Can you imagine if Purdy missed a wide open receiver in the end zone like Lamar did, or scored like Josh Allen did yesterday? This forum would go nuts. Purdy takes a shot, and some forum guys are all over him. Wonder what their life is like, not making mistakes ever or taking a chance?
[ Edited by 8080849ers on Sep 30, 2024 at 6:46 PM ]

Purdy now without CMC and with Aiyuk a shell of himself is now proving he's no game manager. Now all he needs is for the defense to stop a nose bleed and for his OL to tighten up a bit and all his detractors will have to eat crow

nice, and not worried about the future of the offense as long as Brock is back there.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Purdy now without CMC and with Aiyuk a shell of himself is now proving he's no game manager. Now all he needs is for the defense to stop a nose bleed and for his OL to tighten up a bit and all his detractors will have to eat crow

He is a game manager,...but he's other things as well. As far as "only" being a game manager,...well....he's not proving something that was clearly never the case. Purdy throwing the ball beyond 5 to 8 yards has been his M.O. from day 1.
Share 49ersWebzone