There are 259 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Really didn't like the interception. Hopefully it was just a "we'll beat the Patriots anyway, gotta get Aiyuk his first TD" shot. Doing that with a 14-point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter is inexcusable.

He had some really good deep throws though. He's on track to be our franchise QB

Interceptions are never good. However, doing it with a 14 point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter might be the best time one could throw one. I mean, when would be a more ideal time to make a mistake? Big lead, deep in opponent territory, 4th quarter.....whats a better time?

I didnt have nearly the issue with Brock making a mistake there than you clearly do. It was kind of like a heat check 3 point shot attempt.

100% agree with this. Would also be nice for his $30M "#1" WR to make a play against contested coverage.

Agree with Furlow and SWH, Brock isn't stupid.
Interceptions are never good. However, doing it with a 14 point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter might be the best time one could throw one. I mean, when would be a more ideal time to make a mistake? Big lead, deep in opponent territory, 4th quarter.....whats a better time?

I didnt have nearly the issue with Brock making a mistake there than you clearly do. It was kind of like a heat check 3 point shot attempt.

Originally posted by 8080849ers:
Can you imagine if Purdy missed a wide open receiver in the end zone like Lamar did, or scored like Josh Allen did yesterday? This forum would go nuts. Purdy takes a shot, and some forum guys are all over him. Wonder what their life is like, not making mistakes ever or taking a chance?

First of all, I said Purdy had a good game and proved himself with multiple deep shots. I'm just criticizing a really bad decision that could've cost us against a better team.

Second of all, I was criticizing the interception because a 14-point lead in field goal range early in the 4th is an absurdly bad time to throw one. A 17-point lead basically seals the win and all he had to do at that point was not turn it over. I get doing that with a 17-point lead, or even a 12-point lead, but a 14-point lead on 2nd down is just a colossally stupid time to throw it at high risk of the other team getting it. I'm sitting on the couch with no experience and know that taking a 5 or even 10-yard sack is 10x better in that situation. I would hope he does.

And I strongly disagree with the idea that it was "an absurdly bad time to throw one." I think someone could name plenty of worse times. Thats all I am saying.

Hey Montana threw 2 picks in the Superbowls that were FLAT OUT dropped by the defense, that likely would have set his Super Bowl record to 2-2.

There is a worse time to throw an interception
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Can you imagine if Purdy missed a wide open receiver in the end zone like Lamar did, or scored like Josh Allen did yesterday? This forum would go nuts. Purdy takes a shot, and some forum guys are all over him. Wonder what their life is like, not making mistakes ever or taking a chance?

First of all, I said Purdy had a good game and proved himself with multiple deep shots. I'm just criticizing a really bad decision that could've cost us against a better team.

Second of all, I was criticizing the interception because a 14-point lead in field goal range early in the 4th is an absurdly bad time to throw one. A 17-point lead basically seals the win and all he had to do at that point was not turn it over. I get doing that with a 17-point lead, or even a 12-point lead, but a 14-point lead on 2nd down is just a colossally stupid time to throw it at high risk of the other team getting it. I'm sitting on the couch with no experience and know that taking a 5 or even 10-yard sack is 10x better in that situation. I would hope he does.

And I strongly disagree with the idea that it was "an absurdly bad time to throw one." I think someone could name plenty of worse times. Thats all I am saying.

You just going to stalk every post I make or are you do you actually have something to add to the conversation? You disagree with my opinion?

lol my god stop taking yourself so seriously.

So nothing to add to the conversation. Got it.

You just going to stalk every post I make or are you do you actually have something to add to the conversation? You disagree with my opinion?

lol my god stop taking yourself so seriously.

So nothing to add to the conversation. Got it.

I couldn't disagree with your opinion more, now let me tell you why your opinion is wrong and stupid. Trying to put a positive spin on an interception is just silly and the sign of someone who just wants to pick apart someone's gripe. Is that better?
Originally posted by Dshearn:

Hey Montana threw 2 picks in the Superbowls that were FLAT OUT dropped by the defense, that likely would have set his Super Bowl record to 2-2.

The dreaded almost-interception! Now you've opened up a can of worms.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Thats my qb *tears*.

he's had a great start to the season even though he's been surrounded by injuries and his WRs haven't been playing to their usual caliber.

It's going to just get better and better the guys get in their groove! I think we are going to tear off a huge run of wins here to stabilize this B!
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:

The dreaded almost-interception! Now you've opened up a can of worms.

No.....

His point was......he disagrees about Purdy's pick being an absurdly bad to time to throw a pick......

I disagree too

Montana's almost pick would be a much worse time to throw an actual pick then Purdy's.....
Originally posted by tankle104:
Thats my qb *tears*.

he's had a great start to the season even though he's been surrounded by injuries and his WRs haven't been playing to their usual caliber.

It's going to just get better and better the guys get in their groove! I think we are going to tear off a huge run of wins here to stabilize this B!

I am used to these charts where BP just knocks it out of the park lol. Like yep, I know the red dot is gunna out there somewhere lol. I hope we do have a string of wins, will see.
Brock Tarkenton will keep doing his thing.

• All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Really didn't like the interception. Hopefully it was just a "we'll beat the Patriots anyway, gotta get Aiyuk his first TD" shot. Doing that with a 14-point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter is inexcusable.

He had some really good deep throws though. He's on track to be our franchise QB

he will learn.....

He is coming off a nearly flawless week that the media kept asking him about one throw.....well.....he lost a defender in coverage, tried the throw and got picked off......
There is a balance to taking shots...he will get there....

Lord knows we have watched guys do less with more

If they can figure out how to keep teams from taking away that bread and butter deep crossing stuff they like to throw, plus mix in some deep connections he will be a 300-400 yard passer week in and week out.

I think it is absolutely critical that he keeps taking those shots. Yes, a bit smarter, but in my mind that shows command. It also means, regardless of whether it is with this version of the team or not, we have a chance with #13 back there.

I think the days of the 300-400 yard passer are dwindling away. I'm not saying they won't happen anymore, but QBs are throwing a historically low number of yards this year. It's all about a good run game, deceptive reverses, short passing game to create yac. Alot of teams are mimicking each other. Even Mahomes hasn't hit 300 yards this season yet. I think scoring and the total number of TDs are historically low as well.

Maybe everyone sucks and we are living in the post legends era? Are we watching extremely mid football being played by almost everyone?

Bad O-linemen era is my guess.

It's because half the league is from the Shanahan coaching tree.
This was a sick play

having a QB that's scramble ability has to be accounted for is pretty neat.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This was a sick play

Brock has mentioned several times how his mobility was a big emphasis for him this off season and I think it's showing. He ran for numerous first downs and bought time to make bigger plays several times already. He always did it but I feel like he's doing it more often this year, it's awesome. I just don't want to see him taking any big hits - keep sliding! Lol

that scrambling ability will be a big reason why we make a deep playoff push - cause this o line isn't very reliable in pass pro, so having that to help make up for it is major.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This was a sick play

I feel like Brock has a lot of extremely awesome plays that have not counted because of drops(looking at you Aiyuk on multiple occasions) or because of penalties. Seems like more than other QBs so far in his career but maybe that's just because I notice it more?

INTs that are dropped can't be counted any more than passes that are dropped can be completions. It's part of the game. We like to go back and say if only this or that had happened but we can't.
Share 49ersWebzone