There are 286 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Interceptions are never good. However, doing it with a 14 point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter might be the best time one could throw one. I mean, when would be a more ideal time to make a mistake? Big lead, deep in opponent territory, 4th quarter.....whats a better time?

I didnt have nearly the issue with Brock making a mistake there than you clearly do. It was kind of like a heat check 3 point shot attempt.

Originally posted by 8080849ers:
Can you imagine if Purdy missed a wide open receiver in the end zone like Lamar did, or scored like Josh Allen did yesterday? This forum would go nuts. Purdy takes a shot, and some forum guys are all over him. Wonder what their life is like, not making mistakes ever or taking a chance?

First of all, I said Purdy had a good game and proved himself with multiple deep shots. I'm just criticizing a really bad decision that could've cost us against a better team.

Second of all, I was criticizing the interception because a 14-point lead in field goal range early in the 4th is an absurdly bad time to throw one. A 17-point lead basically seals the win and all he had to do at that point was not turn it over. I get doing that with a 17-point lead, or even a 12-point lead, but a 14-point lead on 2nd down is just a colossally stupid time to throw it at high risk of the other team getting it. I'm sitting on the couch with no experience and know that taking a 5 or even 10-yard sack is 10x better in that situation. I would hope he does.

And I strongly disagree with the idea that it was "an absurdly bad time to throw one." I think someone could name plenty of worse times. Thats all I am saying.

Hey Montana threw 2 picks in the Superbowls that were FLAT OUT dropped by the defense, that likely would have set his Super Bowl record to 2-2.

There is a worse time to throw an interception

INTs that are dropped can't be counted any more than passes that are dropped can be completions. It's part of the game. We like to go back and say if only this or that had happened but we can't.

Also how many INT are the receivers fault? Such as running the wrong route or right off his hands into a defender etc.
Trent Williams is all of us on having Brock. Trent might play extra couple of years because of Brock
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
I feel like Brock has a lot of extremely awesome plays that have not counted because of drops(looking at you Aiyuk on multiple occasions) or because of penalties. Seems like more than other QBs so far in his career but maybe that's just because I notice it more?

No doubt. I can think of two egregious drops from BA. Not sure there's been more than that?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Trent Williams is all of us on having Brock. Trent might play extra couple of years because of Brock

I would love to hear his REAL thoughts on our previous QBs.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
I would love to hear his REAL thoughts on our previous QBs.

He would tell it like it is, no doubt
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Interceptions are never good. However, doing it with a 14 point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter might be the best time one could throw one. I mean, when would be a more ideal time to make a mistake? Big lead, deep in opponent territory, 4th quarter.....whats a better time?

I didnt have nearly the issue with Brock making a mistake there than you clearly do. It was kind of like a heat check 3 point shot attempt.

Originally posted by 8080849ers:
Can you imagine if Purdy missed a wide open receiver in the end zone like Lamar did, or scored like Josh Allen did yesterday? This forum would go nuts. Purdy takes a shot, and some forum guys are all over him. Wonder what their life is like, not making mistakes ever or taking a chance?

First of all, I said Purdy had a good game and proved himself with multiple deep shots. I'm just criticizing a really bad decision that could've cost us against a better team.

Second of all, I was criticizing the interception because a 14-point lead in field goal range early in the 4th is an absurdly bad time to throw one. A 17-point lead basically seals the win and all he had to do at that point was not turn it over. I get doing that with a 17-point lead, or even a 12-point lead, but a 14-point lead on 2nd down is just a colossally stupid time to throw it at high risk of the other team getting it. I'm sitting on the couch with no experience and know that taking a 5 or even 10-yard sack is 10x better in that situation. I would hope he does.

And I strongly disagree with the idea that it was "an absurdly bad time to throw one." I think someone could name plenty of worse times. Thats all I am saying.

Hey Montana threw 2 picks in the Superbowls that were FLAT OUT dropped by the defense, that likely would have set his Super Bowl record to 2-2.

There is a worse time to throw an interception

INTs that are dropped can't be counted any more than passes that are dropped can be completions. It's part of the game. We like to go back and say if only this or that had happened but we can't.

Blah

The point was Purdy threw a pick at an absurdly bad time

Some do not see it that way

There are worst times to throw an interception

Case in point, the last drive against Cincinnati would have been a much much much worse time to throw a pick by Joe.

Joe is badass, this has nothing to do with an almost pick, that is just a reference point to a much worse time to throw a pick then Purdy taking a knockout shot in a game the 49ers were already winning

I wish he wouldn't have demanded top dollar so you know, they can acquire better players around him and Brock.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I have zero doubts about this kid at this kid at this point. The last thing I had to see was how effective he was when missing a good chunk of his weapons. I didn't think he'd be horrible, but he far exceeded my expectations there, which doesn't surprise me.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
This was a sick play

having a QB that's scramble ability has to be accounted for is pretty neat.

Brock has mentioned several times how his mobility was a big emphasis for him this off season and I think it's showing. He ran for numerous first downs and bought time to make bigger plays several times already. He always did it but I feel like he's doing it more often this year, it's awesome. I just don't want to see him taking any big hits - keep sliding! Lol

that scrambling ability will be a big reason why we make a deep playoff push - cause this o line isn't very reliable in pass pro, so having that to help make up for it is major.

There were a few times last year that he seemed to "run himself into the ground" and lose his footing for no apparent reason. So my guess is he worked on his hip mobility and strength as well as knee drive to be able to maintain his speed for longer distances. His 10 yard split (explosiveness) has always been excellent, long speed is what he was lacking. Not this season. He looks much more comfortable and fluid during his longer scrambles.

Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I wish he wouldn't have demanded top dollar so you know, they can acquire better players around him and Brock.

Erm, whilst I understand your point, just go through the O in your mind. Qb, we, rb, te, fb, the only place I see them getting better players is RT and C. Maybe at Guard but the two young guards are looking good. Even the depth except on the line is starting to look good. Obviously, injuries excepted.
with all the all 22 stuff hitting us at the midpoint in the week....

dude

duuuuudddeeeee

Brock is getting the Peyton Manning treatment....

I don't recall ANY 49er QB in my life time getting such a heavy dose of 3 man rushes.... This is the stuff they did to Peyton, the blitz did not work, the 4 man rush did not work...so teams put 8 in coverage.

You know you have arrived when teams are dropping 8 into coverage, cause they likely have tried everything else....
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by tankle104:
This was a sick play

having a QB that's scramble ability has to be accounted for is pretty neat.

Brock has mentioned several times how his mobility was a big emphasis for him this off season and I think it's showing. He ran for numerous first downs and bought time to make bigger plays several times already. He always did it but I feel like he's doing it more often this year, it's awesome. I just don't want to see him taking any big hits - keep sliding! Lol

that scrambling ability will be a big reason why we make a deep playoff push - cause this o line isn't very reliable in pass pro, so having that to help make up for it is major.

There were a few times last year that he seemed to "run himself into the ground" and lose his footing for no apparent reason. So my guess is he worked on his hip mobility and strength as well as knee drive to be able to maintain his speed for longer distances. His 10 yard split (explosiveness) has always been excellent, long speed is what he was lacking. Not this season. He looks much more comfortable and fluid during his longer scrambles.

Not to mention(knocks on wood) that he's not an absolute moron and he protects himself either by sliding or getting out of bounds before getting hit. This is an art that some QBs simply do not understand.
with all the all 22 stuff hitting us at the midpoint in the week....

dude

duuuuudddeeeee

Brock is getting the Peyton Manning treatment....

I don't recall ANY 49er QB in my life time getting such a heavy dose of 3 man rushes.... This is the stuff they did to Peyton, the blitz did not work, the 4 man rush did not work...so teams put 8 in coverage.

You know you have arrived when teams are dropping 8 into coverage, cause they likely have tried everything else....

It's cool seeing the trendy strategies defenses are deploying to slow brock down. If brock keeps having success against 8 man coverage, we won't be seeing it anymore.
Share 49ersWebzone