QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Montana:
I still hate Brady /j lol he kinda stinks at announcing though lol

yeah. i remember Seifert and Montana couldn't do it. meanwhile Mark Sanchez and Romo are naturals. go figure.

Announcing is much different than playing. Just like coaching is much different from playing. Just because you were great in one category doesn't mean you will be in another. Completely different skill sets. Sometimes a star player had it easy because of skills and can't teach as effectively or be a coach. Because they just can't understand how the guys don't get it. It came to them so easily.

As for announcing he probably needs more time. To get comfortable explaining things to the audience. He certainly understands what is happening. It's a matter of communicating that in a way that is fun and teachable to the viewers. At an easier level people can understand.

Madden was the all time best. he could speak to the seasoned fan and the beginner fan at once, and would get my eye off the ball and onto line play. he also had a ton of passion for the game.

What was great about Madden was he was funny as hell and fun. But not in an annoying way. Plus highly enthusiastic. Best announcer ever in sports. Not only could he explain the game he would do eccentric but fun things at the end. Like in a blowout at Candlestick he would talking about the Seagulls or birds that come in at the end of the game to eat the food left over in the stands. Just little funny things even about nature that he would notice and be fun. He would notice all aspects of life. Even the breeze off the Bay or the birds or nature in some fun way. He was a very unique guy. He was genuine about it too. Not faking it or anything. Just a natural part of his personality.

madden was a national treasure.....

there is probably YouTube on this...but on 9/11 Madden was walking around NY, and through circumstance became an on the scene reporter... just a horrible, horrible moment in our history....if you were not alive during that time, hard to even describe it...I guess that is how people felt about Pearl Harbor....I worked in a TV store at the time, so surrounded by at least a 100 big screen TVs and people were gathering in my store (in a mall) I had probably 50-80 people just standing there slack jawed....men and woman just crying....and one of the news stations just cuts to a reporter on the streets of New York....It was John Madden.

Chaos everywhere, and here is John Madden, no make up people, no hair people, no script... just Madden trying to help people get through a horrible day. Just John, a mic and a camera guy.

Being a New Yorker, probably the only reason I did not break down that day in front of my employees.

Just to finish the story, most of the employees at the mall ended up in my store that day...we had roughly waist size platforms to display old CRT style TVs on, we moved them off and people just sat there and watched...the pizza guys from the food court made tons of Pizzas and carried them over...I doubt I sold anything over the next couple of days...but that day it was just a bunch of Mall people bonded by grief....trying to get though the day. Thank God for John Madden.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Montana:
I still hate Brady /j lol he kinda stinks at announcing though lol

yeah. i remember Seifert and Montana couldn't do it. meanwhile Mark Sanchez and Romo are naturals. go figure.

Announcing is much different than playing. Just like coaching is much different from playing. Just because you were great in one category doesn't mean you will be in another. Completely different skill sets. Sometimes a star player had it easy because of skills and can't teach as effectively or be a coach. Because they just can't understand how the guys don't get it. It came to them so easily.

As for announcing he probably needs more time. To get comfortable explaining things to the audience. He certainly understands what is happening. It's a matter of communicating that in a way that is fun and teachable to the viewers. At an easier level people can understand.

Madden was the all time best. he could speak to the seasoned fan and the beginner fan at once, and would get my eye off the ball and onto line play. he also had a ton of passion for the game.

What was great about Madden was he was funny as hell and fun. But not in an annoying way. Plus highly enthusiastic. Best announcer ever in sports. Not only could he explain the game he would do eccentric but fun things at the end. Like in a blowout at Candlestick he would talking about the Seagulls or birds that come in at the end of the game to eat the food left over in the stands. Just little funny things even about nature that he would notice and be fun. He would notice all aspects of life. Even the breeze off the Bay or the birds or nature in some fun way. He was a very unique guy. He was genuine about it too. Not faking it or anything. Just a natural part of his personality.

madden was a national treasure.....

there is probably YouTube on this...but on 9/11 Madden was walking around NY, and through circumstance became an on the scene reporter... just a horrible, horrible moment in our history....if you were not alive during that time, hard to even describe it...I guess that is how people felt about Pearl Harbor....I worked in a TV store at the time, so surrounded by at least a 100 big screen TVs and people were gathering in my store (in a mall) I had probably 50-80 people just standing there slack jawed....men and woman just crying....and one of the news stations just cuts to a reporter on the streets of New York....It was John Madden.

Chaos everywhere, and here is John Madden, no make up people, no hair people, no script... just Madden trying to help people get through a horrible day. Just John, a mic and a camera guy.

Being a New Yorker, probably the only reason I did not break down that day in front of my employees.

Just to finish the story, most of the employees at the mall ended up in my store that day...we had roughly waist size platforms to display old CRT style TVs on, we moved them off and people just sat there and watched...the pizza guys from the food court made tons of Pizzas and carried them over...I doubt I sold anything over the next couple of days...but that day it was just a bunch of Mall people bonded by grief....trying to get though the day. Thank God for John Madden.

He made me love football that much more. I was in college on 9-11 and had ashes landing on me from the towers collapse. Him/football and the Yankee's playoff run really helped the city at the time.
Share 49ersWebzone