There are 290 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
s**t happens... but we got into the redzone hella times (5+?)...and only one TD.

We got shut out in the second half.

Brock will blame himself for that. Might start pressing, when it is obviously the playcalling. It has always been the play calling in big games... having issues putting teams away with a f**king lead! With ALL OUR WEAPONS ON OFFENSE!

I mean why is it obviously the play calling? Felt like there was a couple plays in the Rz that had some guys open and the ball didn't go there. No Kyle isn't calling a clean game. I think there's layers to not being as consistent in the RZ. It's not just one thing.
  • jed_X
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Needs to check it down more. Trying to get the big play every down. That's not a winning formula. Needs to go back to basics and just take what the defense gives you. On the last play he had Kittle open right away and holds the ball way too long. Just give it to Kittle, get the first down and spike the ball.

This, Kittle was wide open and would be running for another 20-30 yards.....

Looks like a hi-lo read to me. Ball looks like for kittle but just got hit as he thew the ball. But this is new development. We're actually asking our QB now to throw check downs a little more
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
I agree that he wasnt sharp today and is looking for the big play too much

That is play calling. Kyle has him in shotgun much more than in the past - looking for big plays, (I believe Mike Silver wrote about that.)

With Mason running as well as he is, play-action should be very effective. Yet we are using it less than any time I can remember with Brock.
  • jed_X
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

That is play calling. Kyle has him in shotgun much more than in the past - looking for big plays, (I believe Mike Silver wrote about that.)

With Mason running as well as he is, play-action should be very effective. Yet we are using it less than any time I can remember with Brock.

Ain't no way some of these playcalls don't have built in check downs though. He got all the time in the world today and if the big play is not there take the check down and live with the 4-6 yards gain rather than running around hoping somebody gets open and if not you throw it away.

this is the next step for brock. Just take what the defense is giving you and keep the chain moving. That's what he was elite at in 22 and 23 but this year it's just big play hunting all the time.
Originally posted by jed_X:
Ain't no way some of these playcalls don't have built in check downs though. He got all the time in the world today and if the big play is not there take the check down and live with the 4-6 yards gain rather than running around hoping somebody gets open and if not you throw it away.

this is the next step for brock. Just take what the defense is giving you and keep the chain moving. That's what he was elite at in 22 and 23 but this year it's just big play hunting all the time.

I think you'd be surprised that our dropback passing game doesn't always have the answers it should in certain situations.

Obviously the last pick from Brock stands out but dropback passing is not Kyle's strength by any means. We're leaning into it though.
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Originally posted by northoakland510:
He sitting in the pocket playing with the ball too much. He has been doing it all year.

Yup. Way too much dancing.
that one i don't get. you want him to throw the ball away or getting sacked instead???
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

I think you'd be surprised that our dropback passing game doesn't always have the answers it should in certain situations.

Obviously the last pick from Brock stands out but dropback passing is not Kyle's strength by any means. We're leaning into it though.

True but early in the game Brock missed two wide open out patterns. Can't put that on KS

I haven't seen the All-22, but from what I could see on the TV, there was no check down option available on many plays. Kyle appears to have decided to take advantage of Purdy's desire to go down field, and that is where the receivers are running. Kyle clearly does not trust Mason the way he trusted CMC (with good reason), but that doesn't mean he should ignore the option entirely.
At this point in time, do you give Purdy:

A. 30 million
B. 40 million
C. 50 million
D. 60 million
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Needs to check it down more. Trying to get the big play every down. That's not a winning formula. Needs to go back to basics and just take what the defense gives you. On the last play he had Kittle open right away and holds the ball way too long. Just give it to Kittle, get the first down and spike the ball.
he didn't have time, defender came almost immediately at him.

Originally posted by lamontb:
True but early in the game Brock missed two wide open out patterns. Can't put that on KS

On the first drive he did, though I think Aiyuk's route might be to blame at least in part for the 2nd. We'll see.
I haven't seen the All-22, but from what I could see on the TV, there was no check down option available on many plays. Kyle appears to have decided to take advantage of Purdy's desire to go down field, and that is where the receivers are running. Kyle clearly does not trust Mason the way he trusted CMC (with good reason), but that doesn't mean he should ignore the option entirely.
if our current #1 RB is not allowed to be the check down option, then he shouldn't be on the roster...sorry for the offtopic.
Originally posted by communist:
if our current #1 RB is not allowed to be the check down option, then he shouldn't be on the roster...sorry for the offtopic.

An NFL leader in rushing shouldn't be on the roster.

I posted this during the game... and it wasn't necessarily only this game but in the past as well..

It's just frustrating...we have some nice runs from under center... and bam, the next play we line up out of gun.

I never understood that s**t with Kyle.

Like what's the point of establishing the run, if we're not going PA out of the same/similar under center formation?... on the same drive? where we have the defense worried about powerful ass Mason.

I'm sure the checkdown to Mason or someone will still be there worse case scenario.

Edit- I'm claiming we never PA.. but imo we come out of gun randomly, that imo, can affect momentum...rhythm. hell if we came out undercenter, then shifted to gun in those scenarios... that's better than just immediately lining up in gun.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 6, 2024 at 5:54 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by lamontb:

On the first drive he did, though I think Aiyuk's route might be to blame at least in part for the 2nd. We'll see.

I thought he threw it on his back foot fading away a bit but yeah... Like you said, film will tell.
Share 49ersWebzone