There are 280 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by dj43:
I haven't seen the All-22, but from what I could see on the TV, there was no check down option available on many plays. Kyle appears to have decided to take advantage of Purdy's desire to go down field, and that is where the receivers are running. Kyle clearly does not trust Mason the way he trusted CMC (with good reason), but that doesn't mean he should ignore the option entirely.
if our current #1 RB is not allowed to be the check down option, then he shouldn't be on the roster...sorry for the offtopic.

Meh I saw Mason as an available check down multiple times tonight and Brock doesn't even look his way. All for pushing the ball downfield, but you gotta take that check down when it's there and pressure is coming down on you.

YAC is not there this yr because the play calling isn't there for that to happen as much. Love to know the why on that from Kyle.
Purdy needs to have a balance between creating and taking what the D gives. He can't keep trying to dance for ten seconds back there, that's the Iowa State Brock.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Purdy needs to have a balance between creating and taking what the D gives. He can't keep trying to dance for ten seconds back there, that's the Iowa State Brock.

Said the same thing a few pages ago. I completely agree.
They just showed the highlights on NBC. That second INT—my god. No one near Kittle from the start. Incredibly frustrating and borderline sickening to watch. Brock absolutely deserves a chunk of the blame.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
if our current #1 RB is not allowed to be the check down option, then he shouldn't be on the roster...sorry for the offtopic.

An NFL leader in rushing shouldn't be on the roster.
its the system, not him. he isn't special.
yes, he can
Bro running around like sir Fran Tarkenton out there. He seems to be looking for those long developing kill shot. Dump it off and take what is given. Maybe he needs to talk to Alex Smith about the art of check down.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Needs to check it down more. Trying to get the big play every down. That's not a winning formula. Needs to go back to basics and just take what the defense gives you. On the last play he had Kittle open right away and holds the ball way too long. Just give it to Kittle, get the first down and spike the ball.
he didn't have time, defender came almost immediately at him.

That play was sadly reminiscent of the last play in the Super Bowl where Burford broke his assignment and blocked the wrong guy.

On this play, Mason broke his assignment by not blocking the inside rusher. Again, just as in the Super Bowl, all Brock needed was a split second more and that ball is in Kittle's hands for a 12-15 yard gain, likely stopping the clock as he had room to get OB.
Originally posted by BYisGod:

Said the same thing a few pages ago. I completely agree.

spot on take in my opinion
That play was sadly reminiscent of the last play in the Super Bowl where Burford broke his assignment and blocked the wrong guy.

On this play, Mason broke his assignment by not blocking the inside rusher. Again, just as in the Super Bowl, all Brock needed was a split second more and that ball is in Kittle's hands for a 12-15 yard gain, likely stopping the clock as he had room to get OB.
i am starting to hate Mason!!!!!

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I haven't seen the All-22, but from what I could see on the TV, there was no check down option available on many plays. Kyle appears to have decided to take advantage of Purdy's desire to go down field, and that is where the receivers are running. Kyle clearly does not trust Mason the way he trusted CMC (with good reason), but that doesn't mean he should ignore the option entirely.

Meh I saw Mason as an available check down multiple times tonight and Brock doesn't even look his way. All for pushing the ball downfield, but you gotta take that check down when it's there and pressure is coming down on you.

YAC is not there this yr because the play calling isn't there for that to happen as much. Love to know the why on that from Kyle.

Yeah...tons of open backs.... Endo was open a few times in his limited play time and Mason was open quite a bit... Brock often scrambled for the first instead...a 1st down is a 1st down...but getting the ball out will change how the defense treats the deeper guys too...you win by getting the ball in your players hands.

As far as Yac....

These dudes, even on crossers are getting tackled quickly...they are not causing side line to side line separation. Even BAs big Yac play was a comeback.....

That bread and butter, 17-25 yard crossing pattern is gone... seems like that has been the go to money play for Brock...and it just is not there right now.

I don't know if teams are taking away certain routs, or if Shanny has kept things in his back pocket thinking the offense is good enough to win without what use to be money routs.

What if I told you Mason believes in free market capitalism?
They just showed the highlights on NBC. That second INT—my god. No one near Kittle from the start. Incredibly frustrating and borderline sickening to watch. Brock absolutely deserves a chunk of the blame.
Absolutely.

Purdy should have reached out his Superman stiff arm to knock down the inside rusher thereby allowing Mason to block the outside rusher...and then throw the ball to Kittle.

Jesus Christ...he DID block the inside guy.

Absolutely.

Purdy should have reached out his Superman stiff arm to knock down the inside rusher thereby allowing Mason to block the outside rusher...and then throw the ball to Kittle.

The play was there to be made before the rusher arrived. Brock simply was looking for a different receiver—in this case, BA. He literally said as much at his press conference. The ball should have gone to Kittle from the jump.
Share 49ersWebzone