There are 305 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BYisGod:
He holds the ball for far too long this season. On both INTs the options were there right away. Throw the ball.

I was a jerk for pointing this out a couple games ago tho....lol.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Yeah...tons of open backs.... Endo was open a few times in his limited play time and Mason was open quite a bit... Brock often scrambled for the first instead...a 1st down is a 1st down...but getting the ball out will change how the defense treats the deeper guys too...you win by getting the ball in your players hands.

As far as Yac....

These dudes, even on crossers are getting tackled quickly...they are not causing side line to side line separation. Even BAs big Yac play was a comeback.....

That bread and butter, 17-25 yard crossing pattern is gone... seems like that has been the go to money play for Brock...and it just is not there right now.

I don't know if teams are taking away certain routs, or if Shanny has kept things in his back pocket thinking the offense is good enough to win without what use to be money routs.

Teams have been pinching their safeties to the middle which takes away most of the medium depth in-cuts. It also reduces YAC for check downs and short crossers. Sidelines should be more available but we haven't seen much adjustment to that yet.
Yeah...tons of open backs.... Endo was open a few times in his limited play time and Mason was open quite a bit... Brock often scrambled for the first instead...a 1st down is a 1st down...but getting the ball out will change how the defense treats the deeper guys too...you win by getting the ball in your players hands.

As far as Yac....

These dudes, even on crossers are getting tackled quickly...they are not causing side line to side line separation. Even BAs big Yac play was a comeback.....

That bread and butter, 17-25 yard crossing pattern is gone... seems like that has been the go to money play for Brock...and it just is not there right now.

I don't know if teams are taking away certain routs, or if Shanny has kept things in his back pocket thinking the offense is good enough to win without what use to be money routs.

Yeah you're right, it's weird for sure. Not sure why the PA isn't being used more either. Some Shannon staples aren't there as much anymore.
Originally posted by random49er:
He holds the ball for far too long this season. On both INTs the options were there right away. Throw the ball.

I will go back and time both of those plays, but my reaction was the the ball came out on time. In one case, Puni did not stay engaged with the DT who was able to raise his hand and deflect the ball. In the other, the ball game out on time but a free rusher beat the timing of the play. It's a team game. Pass protectors have to do their job.
Originally posted by dj43:
I will go back and time both of those plays, but my reaction was the the ball came out on time. In one case, Puni did not stay engaged with the DT who was able to raise his hand and deflect the ball. In the other, the ball game out on time but a free rusher beat the timing of the play. It's a team game. Pass protectors have to do their job.

With you on the first INT. Put in on Puni and general bad luck that it ended up in a defender's hands.

I've stated my opinion on the second play, and Brock openly acknowledged that the ball needed to come out sooner. As for the first play, the ball also should have come out sooner—there was no reason for Brock to wait. If it's out on time, it doesn't get deflected.

I've stated my opinion on the second play, and Brock openly acknowledged that the ball needed to come out sooner. As for the first play, the ball also should have come out sooner—there was no reason for Brock to wait. If it's out on time, it doesn't get deflected.

One thing we should know about Purdy by now is that he will always accept the blame for himself rather than throw a teammate under the bus.

In this case, he is taking the blame for someone else's failure.

One thing we should know about Purdy by now is that he will always accept the blame for himself rather than throw a teammate under the bus.

Agree to disagree. Maybe the All-22 will show something different than what I saw live. I like Brock a lot, but there's a troubling trend in his play—it's silly to deny it.

Yep
Originally posted by NYniner85:

As far as Yac....

Yeah you're right, it's weird for sure. Not sure why the PA isn't being used more either. Some Shannon staples aren't there as much anymore.

That has to be intentional

I don't often criticize Shanny, and I am not really intending to be deeply critical here....

but

Playaction works, and we can't play action out of an empty back field, and we run best out of a single back look or a two back under center look.

Right now....there is no doubt....on at least some level....the defense is getting some warning of when a run is coming.

Right now, it sure seems the offense is as predictable as it has ever been.

It is great that Purdy is way up on the passing charts regardless of how predictable it has been, but clearly it is having an effect on scoring.

I don't know if the team has made a fundamental change on how the offense is run, or if they have gotten too cute trying to skew tendencies for later in the season...or if they are just trying to ram passing plays down Brock's throat so he can see as many different things in the early part of his career as possible....

I don't know what is causing it, but it certainly feels like it is costing games...so I don't know how much longer they want to do this before they have to get really serious about running plays with a high percentage of success.

Yea this year we seem to be shotgun heavy. At least from my perspective. I think this is why we don't PA as much. I also think it's disrupting Brocks timing.

The timing of this offense just seems off.
Brock has been successful throwing the ball with timing and anticipation. This backyard football scrambling was fine once a game, but he's doing it way too much now. I'm not sure what he's seeing to not trust getting the ball out.
Originally posted by krizay:

Yea this year we seem to be shotgun heavy. At least from my perspective. I think this is why we don't PA as much. I also think it's disrupting Brocks timing.

The timing of this offense just seems off.

They are shotgun heavy because they are trying to compensate for the garbage OL.
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
They are shotgun heavy because they are trying to compensate for the garbage OL.

I don't think so.

You're not helping your offensive line by broadcasting that you are passing.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
I'm seeing some things.
Share 49ersWebzone