LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 284 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Brock is the QB of the future, I have no doubt. But he really needs to be MORE of a game manager.

Huh? He's been the opposite of that this yr. In fact imo part of the "problem" or whatever you want to call it, is he's not managing the game 100%.

take those easy plays, it doesn't have to be 20+ balls every drop back. There's gotta be a balance

That's exactly what I am saying....

Read that wrong…sorry
Brock is the QB of the future, I have no doubt. But he really needs to be MORE of a game manager.

Huh? He's been the opposite of that this yr. In fact imo part of the "problem" or whatever you want to call it, is he's not managing the game 100%.

take those easy plays, it doesn't have to be 20+ balls every drop back. There's gotta be a balance

Read that wrong…sorry

Have you guys been listening to what's he's saying? They are taking away those easy plays this year. He's needed to adjust.
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
Have you guys been listening to what's he's saying? They are taking away those easy plays this year. He's needed to adjust.

I think its part of why Kyle is changing up the offense. Half the league is running a variant of his scheme and defenses are getting really good against it and you have a lot of bright young defensive minds that are coming up with all kinds of chaos to throw the offense off its timing so an adjustment is necessary. I'm not a fan of the empty back sets though, especially as more of the league is moving towards a more power oriented ground attack with heavy formations to counter the lighter, pass-defense oriented schemes out there.

I also think the results would look significantly different if you had McCaffrey in there drawing constant attention from defenses.

some of the crossers and things like that aren't as open as they once were. He has absolutely missed on some underneath stuff in favor of chucking it deep, which is fine. We should want to be balanced, but there's nothing wrong with making a 5 yard completion on 1/2nd down. I think the play calling isn't helping either. They need to get back to the staple PA stuff.

Brock (along with everyone else) needs to be better post snap with blitzing as well.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 7, 2024 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think its part of why Kyle is changing up the offense. Half the league is running a variant of his scheme and defenses are getting really good against it and you have a lot of bright young defensive minds that are coming up with all kinds of chaos to throw the offense off its timing so an adjustment is necessary. I'm not a fan of the empty back sets though, especially as more of the league is moving towards a more power oriented ground attack with heavy formations to counter the lighter, pass-defense oriented schemes out there.

I also think the results would look significantly different if you had McCaffrey in there drawing constant attention from defenses.

There are many reasons but this the biggest by far. He was the major part of the offense last year. He was the guy that Purdy could throw to when the receivers were covered and the pressure was on. He was the fast shifty back that was able to find the end zone and a big reason they were the leagues' best in the red zone. He was as important to the offense as some QBs are to other teams.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Oct 7, 2024 at 8:19 AM ]
Not a film guy overall, are they constantly daring Brock to push the ball downfield? If so this isn't some new thing…teams been playing against Kyle like that since the early JG days.

If SF is gonna become a straight drop back team that's not using PA or moving Brock around…then we're doomed behind that OL.

All the motions and not allowing teams to just pin their ears back is what Kyle uses. Yes the league is using a ton of it across the league, s**t still works though.
Not a film guy overall, are they constantly daring Brock to push the ball downfield? If so this isn't some new thing…teams been playing against Kyle like that since the early JG days.

If SF is gonna become a straight drop back team that's not using PA or moving Brock around…then we're doomed behind that OL.

All the motions and not allowing teams to just pin their ears back is what Kyle uses. Yes the league is using a ton of it across the league, s**t still works though.

The Patriots were regularly dropping 8 into coverage. The Vikings threw just about every coverage possible. They're flooding the zones to stop yards after catch specifically so that when one someone catches the ball, they have at least a couple defenders descending on them.

I think they're having a hard time trying to adjust to nit having CMC. Mason runs okay but he's not a threat as a receiver. It doesn't seem like they're spreading the ball around as much. One week it's Kittle. Next week it's Jennings. Yesterday we finally saw Aiyuk have a big game. It's just isn't looking like the well oiled machine we're used to seeing. Having a defense that isn't getting stops doesn't help either.

Read that wrong…sorry

I don't mind the scrambling when he truly needs to make something happen but he's bailing sometimes too quickly. He's moving away from what he was good at. The guy can cook from muddied pockets. Just didn't like the recklessness today. Shanahans s**t playcalling didn't help. Shanahan sure seems to be missing his genius offensive assistants who left… the kubiaks and McDaniel etc
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I think they're having a hard time trying to adjust to nit having CMC. Mason runs okay but he's not a threat as a receiver. It doesn't seem like they're spreading the ball around as much. One week it's Kittle. Next week it's Jennings. Yesterday we finally saw Aiyuk have a big game. It's just isn't looking like the well oiled machine we're used to seeing. Having a defense that isn't getting stops doesn't help either.
He runs ok? He was top 3 I believe in rushing yards coming into yesterday's game. I imagine he is still top 5 currently with a real nice average per carry. He also is definitely a threat as a receiver. He should have had a receiving touchdown last week if it wasn't for Kittle's ticky tack holding penalty. Is he a CMC like threat as receiver? No. But that's also the case for the rest of the league. Mason has only a few targets in the passing game but I don't recall him dropping any that were catchable.

Originally posted by socalfan21:

Read that wrong…sorry

I don't mind the scrambling when he truly needs to make something happen but he's bailing sometimes too quickly. He's moving away from what he was good at. The guy can cook from muddied pockets. Just didn't like the recklessness today. Shanahans s**t playcalling didn't help. Shanahan sure seems to be missing his genius offensive assistants who left… the kubiaks and McDaniel etc
I have this strange feeling he is gonna get his buddy McDaniel back soon.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by socalfan21:

Read that wrong…sorry

I was thinking Salah.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The Patriots were regularly dropping 8 into coverage. The Vikings threw just about every coverage possible. They're flooding the zones to stop yards after catch specifically so that when one someone catches the ball, they have at least a couple defenders descending on them.

I mean this can't be a new this vs Kyle?
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:

McDaniel just sign an extension thru 2028 a little over a month ago
i notice when he plays like a chicken with his head off he is not really putting the ball downfield like J Daniels did yesterday or Mahomes does. he just runs around like a chicken then gains a few yards and sticks the ball out when he goes out of bounds. does anyone share this observation? i wish he'd get the ball out a lil more quick and in rhythm. sometimes he falls in love with his own ability to run around back there.
Share 49ersWebzone