LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 245 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Montana played pretty well when his defense did too. When he lost to the Giants and Vikings in the playoffs with his defense not playing as well? Hey, he didn't look as good. Go figure.
Originally posted by captveg:
Montana played pretty well when his defense did too. When he lost to the Giants and Vikings in the playoffs with his defense not playing as well? Hey, he didn't look as good. Go figure.

The Craig fumble game?

I think the Vikes game he was rushing back from injury....but I might just be miss remembering
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:

The Craig fumble game?

I think the Vikes game he was rushing back from injury....but I might just be miss remembering

I don't think he is referring to the Craig fumble game. I mean the defense on that day was playing great. Matter of fact that was a defensive game not much offense to mention.
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Our defense sucks rn among other things, so yes, our structure is not as sound as it was. It is flimsy and falling apart lol.

BP plays his best I think when the defense does well. He lets loose and is himself. He goes after it without trying to do too much. There is less pressure. Now with the defense being as garbage as it has been, injuries etc. BP probably just is putting to much pressure on himself to make up for all the things gone wrong, when he just needs to be Brock Purdy.

It is true that the offense needs to make up some for the crappy D but probably is putting just too much on his shoulders to try and make stuff happen. Smart dude though, he has talked about this mental balance and knows what to get back to. I wonder if Shanny is asking different things from him idk. Is BP perfect? Nope, no player is but he's been close. The 20 yrd backpedal was probably the only time I have said, "Ooh Brock idk about that" but hey, if somehow he made a play there then cool but really probably is something to avoid. Great at elusiveness but that was a bit lol. I don't expect that to happen again much at all. He learns and cleans things up well.

He doesn't need to do it all, just be Brock. He has been fantastic and very happy to have him. It would be great if we just had a dang defense.

i keep hoping Belichick just wakes up one day and decides to help our D out
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
i keep hoping Belichick just wakes up one day and decides to help our D out

Lol I kinda want Hitner
Originally posted by bud49:
Originally posted by Dshearn:

The Craig fumble game?

I don't think he is referring to the Craig fumble game. I mean the defense on that day was playing great. Matter of fact that was a defensive game not much offense to mention.

Correct. I was talking about the 1985-1987 one-and-done playoff stretch. 1985: Giants 17, 49ers 3. 1986: Giants 49, 49ers 3 (Montana knocked out on Pick 6 play that put Giants up 28-3 at end of 1st half). 1987: Vikings 36, 49ers 24 (Montana benched mid 3rd with score 27-10). Montana put up 9 net points in 8 and a half quarters (16 - 7 for INT) vs. 65 points (17 + 21 + 27) given up by the 49er defense in that time. Easily the worst stretch of consecutive playoff games in 49er history.

In fact, it's the only time the team has lost three playoff games in a row. The only other time the franchise has lost two playoff games in a row were to Cleveland in 1949 (last year of AAFC) & Detroit in 1957, Dallas in 1971 & Dallas again in 1972, and Atlanta in 1998 and Green Bay in 2001. Every other playoff loss has been followed by at least one playoff win in the next postseason the team made.
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 8, 2024 at 3:03 AM ]
The Baldy breakdown didn't help absolve Purdy of the biggest mistakes, but it did show the disturbing fact that despite all the time in the world, our guys STILL couldn't get open.
on the last INT, who was responsible for that?
According to Coaches film I would guess that #24 was ok because even if he had protected outside in, a rusher would be free?
I'd rather question the decision by C and LG to block against one defender instead of the C sliding to the right so that, at the end, the right side has as many blockers as rushers
Originally posted by communist:
According to Coaches film I would guess that #24 was ok because even if he had protected outside in, a rusher would be free?
I'd rather question the decision by C and LG to block against one defender instead of the C sliding to the right so that, at the end, the right side has as many blockers as rushers

This is exactly what I saw after rewatching the tape. To me, Brendel is the one who really botched it. We had a hat on a hat—6 blockers against 6 rushers. Brendel, for some reason, lent his efforts to a double team, thereby creating the free rusher.

Purdy. That ball has to come out way faster. Take what's there and keep the chains moving.

The OL screwed up too but Purdy has to be quicker in those situations.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Purdy. That ball has to come out way faster. Take what's there and keep the chains moving.

I also agree with this. Kittle was WIDE open from the jump. Throw it hot.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
The Baldy breakdown didn't help absolve Purdy of the biggest mistakes, but it did show the disturbing fact that despite all the time in the world, our guys STILL couldn't get open.

Which is why Pearsall was drafted.

Also the receivers need to be better coached up on a scramble drill. A couple of times when Purdy was scrambling around, the receivers were just kind of standing around instead of flying back to the ball.
Originally posted by BYisGod:

I am confused by the term "hot". Why do you call it "Throw is hot"?
I know the hot route only, was that the hot route on the play pre-snap?
Originally posted by BYisGod:

I am confused by the term "hot". Why do you call it "Throw is hot"?
I know the hot route only, was that the hot route on the play pre-snap?

I believe once a blitz is identified Kittle runs a hot route (short route so he's open for the QB), so Purdy gets it out to him ASAP. This is on them to realize as the ball is snapped etc. Looks like Purdy didn't realize the guy blitzed from the right side. nor did Brendel as he did not slide the protection over etc. I could be wrong or certainly not using the correct terminology but that's the gist of it.
Share 49ersWebzone