LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 270 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by communist:
qb driven league = qb driven market. Either you pay an above average qb elite money, think Goff, Tua, Dak or you got nothing for at least a year (you could end up like the Panthers...).

I'd rather not go in circles with you. I already stated I don't think Tua, Goff, and Dak are compelling arguments to pay Purdy. Especially not when our coach can get near top of the league level efficiency from even a Jimmy G quality player.

You can disagree with that idea. I'm good with it.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 20, 2024 at 5:41 PM ]
He seems regressed. Thats my issue. The pass protection sucks and it has given him happy feet. Tom Brady literally said as much on the broadcast.

I remember most of us saying holy sweet jesus Brock looks great... and after he went down in the Philly game we asked for an upgraded line to protect this guy.
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
This goes against how we have been successful under Shanahan, which is pound the ball through the run, control the clock, open up the pass.
We needed an all pro team and luck to be successful.

Bosa, Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk have been playing on rookie contracts a lot of the time. AA, Warner, Greenlaw, Tarrt+Ward (their last season at least). That's a lot of talent and that's what you need if you want to be successful in this league without a very good qb.
This goes against how we have been successful under Shanahan, which is pound the ball through the run, control the clock, open up the pass.

Bosa, Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk have been playing on rookie contracts a lot of the time. AA, Warner, Greenlaw, Tarrt+Ward (their last season at least). That's a lot of talent and that's what you need if you want to be successful in this league without a very good qb.

Yesh well if we pay 60M for Purdy we will have what we saw today with the type of talent we saw today.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
qb driven league = qb driven market. Either you pay an above average qb elite money, think Goff, Tua, Dak or you got nothing for at least a year (you could end up like the Panthers...).

I'd rather not go in circles with you. I already stated I don't think Tua, Goff, and Dak are compelling arguments to pay Purdy. Especially not when our coach can get near top of the league level efficiency from even a Jimmy G quality player.

You can disagree with that idea. I'm good with it.
I hear you. imho, your opinion is based purely on your belief but unfortunately it does not align with the current reality of the NFL :)
just want you to save you from too high expectations.

Yesh well if we pay 60M for Purdy we will have what we saw today with the type of talent we saw today.

And lynch and company clearly haven't done a good job of putting cheap young talent around him the past few years. See Detroit for that.
I hear you. imho, your opinion is based purely on your belief but unfortunately it does not align with the current reality of the NFL :)

I think I have a pretty good grasp of what's happening in the NFL, lol. None of your examples have actually been successful, with Goff as a possible short term exception.

And you can cut the BS as far as my 'expectations' go, as I've said more than once in this conversation that we have a lot more time evaluate. It's not even guaranteed it would take a top of the market contract to re-sign Brock.

Trent won't be here forever. And yes, we can carry ONE very good WR, Kittle and JJ.
A lot of other teams that haven't been drafting high during the last 2-3 seasons have the same issue. Purdy showed against the Rams that he is capable of dealing with that very fine.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

I think I have a pretty good grasp of what's happening in the NFL, lol. None of your examples have actually been successful, with Goff as a possible short term exception.

And you can cut the BS as far as my 'expectations' go, as I've said more than once in this conversation that we have a lot more time evaluate. It's not even guaranteed it would take a top of the market contract to re-sign Brock.
it is not about being anyone of them successful. it is about you take them for a lot of money or end up with guys like Fields, Hoyer etc

Trent won't be here forever. And yes, we can carry ONE very good WR, Kittle and JJ.
A lot of other teams that haven't been drafting high during the last 2-3 seasons have the same issue. Purdy showed against the Rams that he is capable of dealing with that very fine.

I don't understand your Rams comment, but one elite WR would be great and then supplemental beyond. We don't have an elite WR. We overpaid for Aiyuk and deebo is washed.

Third year Kyle s**t. QBs thrive under Shanahan until they become over-saturated with his strategies.

And lynch and company clearly haven't done a good job of putting cheap young talent around him the past few years. See Detroit for that.
Detroit was drafting high a lot.
If you think that Kittle, JJ, BA, Deebo + Trent and CMC are not good, then we should stop the conversation
it is not about being anyone of them successful. it is about you take them for a lot of money or end up with guys like Fields, Hoyer etc

You're wrong about this as well. You aren't guaranteed to end up with a dysfunctional player at the QB position simply because you pass on paying top dollar to an above average one. It's simply a possibility, and I think an unlikely one given our coach tends to make QBs look much better than they are.

Look at the Vikings as an easy example. They have their best team in the last 5-6 years and that was after their above average but incredibly expensive starter walked to a different team. Seahawks two years ago would also fit.
I don't understand your Rams comment, but one elite WR would be great and then supplemental beyond. We don't have an elite WR. We overpaid for Aiyuk and deebo is washed.
BA is fine.

we played against the Rams with nothing at WR and TE, yet we were in the game, Purdy was basically perfect (22/30, 6 drops).
Purdy played like hot garbage today aside from a few throws.
Share 49ersWebzone