LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 255 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
You can't teach deep arm strength. The best bet for Brock in those cases, like today's missed TDs, is to throw the ball a second earlier. He's usually good at throwing with anticipation in other scenarios. Will need to do it on these deep passes it seems.

But also because of this, I don't think it would be wise to give a long term contract to Brock at so much per season ($50-$60+ mill a year).

It might be better to franchise tag him, so yes he will get paid a lot for that one year, but we won't be committed many years at a high cap it. Hell the Vikes did it with Kirk Cousins for quite a few years.

And if Brock balls out, then he could get a long term deal.

Would he hold out? but it would give another QB an opportunity to be in Kyle's offense... with these weapons. So I doubt Brock (and his Agent) would take that chance/hold out.

We could draft QBs along the way.

what happens is you get picked being an anticipatory thrower, like he did early, then you hold the ball wanting to 'see it'.

I think Brock needs to be way better situationally. Just don't hurt the freaking team, and he's been doing that a lot lately. Way too much. He did it against AZ, and he did it pretty much all day today.
You can't teach deep arm strength. The best bet for Brock in those cases, like today's missed TDs, is to throw the ball a second earlier. He's usually good at throwing with anticipation in other scenarios. Will need to do it on these deep passes it seems.

But also because of this, I don't think it would be wise to give a long term contract to Brock at so much per season ($50-$60+ mill a year).

It might be better to franchise tag him, so yes he will get paid a lot for that one year, but we won't be committed many years at a high cap it. Hell the Vikes did it with Kirk Cousins for quite a few years.

Would he hold out? but it would give another QB an opportunity to be in Kyle's offense... with these weapons. So I doubt Brock (and his Agent) would take that chance/hold out.

We cannot pay him big $, cannot do it, would be a huge mistake, Cleveland Browns Deshawn Watson type mistake.

He will likely end this year with as many picks as TD passes that should sink his value plenty.
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Difference between good and great.

Huge difference.

A Mahomes or Brady can win SB titles with average players.

Purdy needs talent around him. Lots of it. Just like Jimmy.

Um, yes and no. Almost no one, or no quarterback wins a SB with "average players'. Even if their weapons are deemed average, there's usually a decent amount of talent somewhere. Belichick during his run of course had Brady but also usually really good defenses and special teams units. Peyton Manning won a second Super Bowl behind an awesome defense because he almost literally couldn't even throw.

Brock played poorly and he's not Mahomes or Brady. But what kind of drives me crazy, and it's mostly outside the fan base, is of course the people who are always ready to pounce whenever he's missing some pieces and weapons. I saw a tweet today from someone saying, "If he continues to struggle I can see them calling Brady." It's like, do people not remember Brady's last year in New England? He had Edelman to throw to and basically no one else. Edelman had 100 catches and the next highest WR/TE was Phillip Dorsett with 29. He looked visibly frustrated for much of the year and even came across as pouty and as kind of pointing fingers. Their season ended in the Wild Card round with him throwing a game ending pick six to Logan Ryan. Kyle and Lynch looked at the tape of him that year and decided he didn't look much better than Jimmy and indeed most thought he was maybe washed. Turns out he wasn't but he didn't play remotely like Brady.

Mahomes wasn't a MVP finalist last year and this year is tied for the league lead in interceptions thrown and has more picks than touchdowns. Now after today Brock is one behind him. But still Mahomes hasn't played particularly well this year even though they are 6-0. Then there was the Super Bowl against Brady where he ran for his life the entire game and got blown out.

Again Brock didn't play well. But every quarterback struggles without a healthy or good supporting cast. Some do have more of a margin for error. But none of them carry the team by themselves.

So Lynch and Shanny screwed that up?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

what happens is you get picked being an anticipatory thrower, like he did early, then you hold the ball wanting to 'see it'.

I think Brock needs to be way better situationally. Just don't hurt the freaking team, and he's been doing that a lot lately. Way too much. He did it against AZ, and he did it pretty much all day today.

yeah he went full idiot at the goalline that was dumb
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Brock is still a damn good QB. This wasn't his best game.

arm strength isn't and issue until you need it. Lost two TDs today because of it. IMO it's the difference between guys like Love and Stoud.

yup you took criticism on that you were right he just doesn't sling it. it is frustrating.

Yeah I still like Brock and he has other skills sets that gets him where he needs to be in order to be successful.

arm strength isn't one and will never be. That's always been the case and I got labeled a hater for pointing it out.

He's suppose to be an elite processor. For whatever reason he didn't show that today. Players around and Kyle didn't help. Gotta wait and see what the film shows.

would have liked him to use his feet more today
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
We cannot pay him big $, cannot do it, would be a huge mistake, Cleveland Browns Deshawn Watson type mistake.

Unless Brock rapes some women it cannot be worse than Watson's.

He's also been a really good QB for 30+ games. Hating over one or two games is pathetic reflection of our "faithful" fans.
Well, it's a good think we didn't make a move for Adams to help Purdy for some 4th round pick. Smart by management.
At least he can get some Camry's and Applebees for his family
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
We won't win the Super Bowl with him making 60M per season

We won't because we have to lose other assets. We just paid Trent and BA. Both look like they will eat into our cap the next few years without much in return. Therefore we will take the hit in other areas. Guys like Ward. Maybe Demo. Maybe Greenlaw. Doesn't look like we're in any position to sign a star D lineman across Bosa, so that will all be about developing young players from the draft. On offense, Juice will probably be out, as will Deebo. We will bank on maybe signing a decent o lineman next offseason than hoping to replace Brendel and Trent with draftees.

this team about to embark on a mini rebuild. Maybe it's starts with a new scheme. A new coaching staff as well.
Why are we assuming the under throw of cowing was an arm strength issue? Cowing is a fast player and maybe Brock just miscalculated. It's funny how yall are jumping to the conclusion that Purdy isn't great over one bad game against the best team in the league.

Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:

Unless Brock rapes some women it cannot be worse than Watson's.

He's also been a really good QB for 30+ games. Hating over one or two games is pathetic reflection of our "faithful" fans.

What's the alternative? Get lucky in the draft again or pay another QB 60 million? Top elite QBs don't leave their current team. It's a Kirk cousins level qb at best.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Why are we assuming the under throw of cowing was an arm strength issue? Cowing is a fast player and maybe Brock just miscalculated. It's funny how yall are jumping to the conclusion that Purdy isn't great over one bad game against the best team in the league.

Fair point. Doubt Purdy and Cowing have been the priority to practice that since the season started.

I think it was on the online more than anything, but there have been several under throws this year in multiple games, even some behind

Brock's been off for whatever reason
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

He has a gunslinger mentality, he doesn't have the proper gun to make that work.

Well we don't have to isolate that play for one thing. It also happened earlier with Kittle.

And it was routinely on his film last year that he would turn down later developing open deep shots that required real arm strength to complete.

he has below average arm strength. It hasn't changed since he became the starter. We're lying to ourselves if we pretend otherwise. How critical the skill is is up for debate. At least on the underthrown ball to Cowing it wouldn't have been a big issue had he not handed the ball to the Chiefs moments later.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 20, 2024 at 6:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone