LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 169 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Why are we assuming the under throw of cowing was an arm strength issue? Cowing is a fast player and maybe Brock just miscalculated. It's funny how yall are jumping to the conclusion that Purdy isn't great over one bad game against the best team in the league.

it was. he does his rainbow lollipops. those were his picks also. just soft tossing. ball in the air a while, that gives the D a shot. it's been like this all year. no real velo to speak of. that's just who he is. he has to almost throw blind, with a lot of anticipation, and some times the picture gets muddy while that thing is floating in air. teams are breaking on the intermediate stuff we know he likes.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think Brock needs to be way better situationally. Just don't hurt the freaking team, and he's been doing that a lot lately. Way too much. He did it against AZ, and he did it pretty much all day today.

He has a gunslinger mentality, he doesn't have the proper gun to make that work.

This is spot-on.
I think Brock needs to be way better situationally. Just don't hurt the freaking team, and he's been doing that a lot lately. Way too much. He did it against AZ, and he did it pretty much all day today.

He has a gunslinger mentality, he doesn't have the proper gun to make that work.

Needs to take a page from Alex Smith's playbook, play within your limits man.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
He folds in big games too much

Umm…

He folded against the Ravens last year and in this one… but otherwise what big game has he folded in? I can think of more big games where he delivered in than not tbh.

It feels like he folds in "marquee" intra-conference regular season matchups like the Ravens last year or this game today. But in playoff games and very important regular season games he does just fine. Even the Super Bowl he was pretty good.

He needs to play better
Yeah I still like Brock and he has other skills sets that gets him where he needs to be in order to be successful.

arm strength isn't one and will never be. That's always been the case and I got labeled a hater for pointing it out.

He's suppose to be an elite processor. For whatever reason he didn't show that today. Players around and Kyle didn't help. Gotta wait and see what the film shows.

would have liked him to use his feet more today

Answer: Steve Spagnuolo.

Until the 49ers get some guys that can beat man defense and Shanahan learns how to use them, nothing will change. The man is that good.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Why are we assuming the under throw of cowing was an arm strength issue? Cowing is a fast player and maybe Brock just miscalculated. It's funny how yall are jumping to the conclusion that Purdy isn't great over one bad game against the best team in the league.

Dude he's under thrown the ball plenty of times. You can make a list of pros and cons of QBs. His arm strength overall is not a positive. It's just the truth of it.

Like others said, he does plenty of other things well.

today was a bad day for the team as a whole, including our QB.
I just watched Wilson just toss a ball quickly up for grabs in end zone which Pickett caught for a td. Purdy doesn't do that.
The arm strength is a factor in the endzone for tighter window throws but it isnt a big deal. Those underthrows arent because of a weak arm imo. Its just less accuracy there as distance increases. Its not like Brock stepped into those throws and flung it with all his body and still came up short.

Im less concerned with that than I am with his propensity to always try for the big explosive even in situations where you should just take what the D gives you
Originally posted by dj43:
Yeah I still like Brock and he has other skills sets that gets him where he needs to be in order to be successful.

arm strength isn't one and will never be. That's always been the case and I got labeled a hater for pointing it out.

He's suppose to be an elite processor. For whatever reason he didn't show that today. Players around and Kyle didn't help. Gotta wait and see what the film shows.

Until the 49ers get some guys that can beat man defense and Shanahan learns how to use them, nothing will change. The man is that good.

kyle's had 4 chances to figure it out.
Originally posted by dj43:

Here's what I don't get. Spagnolo is the reason. Isn't Kyle the offensive savant?

Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
I just watched Wilson just toss a ball quickly up for grabs in end zone which Pickett caught for a td. Purdy doesn't do that.

Kittle TD against Pats was a "let your guy go up and get it" pass.
kyle's had 4 chances to figure it out.

that's what's disappointing. we got 20 in the SB ages ago. and 19 in 4 qtrs last year. and 18 today.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Here's what I don't get. Spagnolo is the reason. Isn't Kyle the offensive savant?

Kyle's staples on offense is running the ball and playaction. Chiefs didnt really respect running the ball and hence weren't biting on PA. Play man, blitz and have LBs not biting on PA is the blueprint to beat Kyle. Doesnt hurt to have great players on D who can actually play man coverage and also can come down in a hurry to make a tackle in run game.
I think Brock needs to be way better situationally.

IMO, he was better last year. It seems once Shanahan found out he was good at pushing the ball down the field when he had a chance, KS changed the way he was calling plays. PA seems to be nearly non-existent where last year it seemed like the bread-and-butter.
Originally posted by captveg:

Kittle TD against Pats was a "let your guy go up and get it" pass.

Sorry I misspoke - he rarely if ever does that. Needs to do it more
Share 49ersWebzone