LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 238 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Answer: Steve Spagnuolo.

Until the 49ers get some guys that can beat man defense and Shanahan learns how to use them, nothing will change. The man is that good.

BA can and does beat man coverage. KC traded their best man cover DB. McDuffe is damn good, but acting like every single guy they have in coverage is elite at that is simply not true.

Spags is a stud no doubt, their talent on defense isn't special.

Brock has to be better. Mahomes was not good today BUT again when they needed to have it he came though in the clutch. Brock threw multiple INTs when SF needed him to show up.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 20, 2024 at 7:09 PM ]
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
I just watched Wilson just toss a ball quickly up for grabs in end zone which Pickett caught for a td. Purdy doesn't do that.

Kittle TD against Pats was a "let your guy go up and get it" pass.

Sorry I misspoke - he rarely if ever does that. Needs to do it more

I don't think Kyle wants him doing that too much. I would only trust Kittle and Jennings for those passes anyway.

They're still trying to run the red zone offense the way they did with CMC, but without CMC a lot of those plays don't work because defenses don't care about Mason beating them. CMC allowed the WRs to be secondary concerns in the redzone.
Ehhhhhh.... I'm not breaking the bank on Purdy. I like him but I don't love him.
I don't think Kyle wants him doing that too much. I would only trust Kittle and Jennings for those passes anyway.

They're still trying to run the red zone offense the way they did with CMC, but without CMC a lot of those plays don't work because defenses don't care about Mason beating them. CMC allowed the WRs to be secondary concerns in the redzone.

Because there's no slot threat...

People are correct in saying ayuik can win man coverage but he usually doesn't do it off the line.

You need a wr or two who can break a dudes ankles off the line and get open in a step or two on a quick slant...

We have yet to see that done. Cowing or pearsall may be capable but need more time to tell.

Part of the problem is the scheme and play calling is already tailored to scheme these long developing routes open. There's hardly any quick man beating plays...
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

People are correct in saying ayuik can win man coverage but he usually doesn't do it off the line.

You need a wr or two who can break a dudes ankles off the line and get open in a step or two on a quick slant...

We have yet to see that done. Cowing or pearsall may be capable but need more time to tell.

Part of the problem is the scheme and play calling is already tailored to scheme these long developing routes open. There's hardly any quick man beating plays...

Agree with this.
Lack of YAK isn't helping
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Why are we assuming the under throw of cowing was an arm strength issue? Cowing is a fast player and maybe Brock just miscalculated. It's funny how yall are jumping to the conclusion that Purdy isn't great over one bad game against the best team in the league.

Dude he's under thrown the ball plenty of times. You can make a list of pros and cons of QBs. His arm strength overall is not a positive. It's just the truth of it.

Like others said, he does plenty of other things well.

today was a bad day for the team as a whole, including our QB.

I'm not saying he has a big rifle arm but y'all are acting like he's noodle armed Alex smith which just isn't true. His arm is average and good enough to make all the throws you need to make. His arm strength is Brady tier (don't come at me not saying he's Brady just comparing the arm strength)
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
We cannot pay him big $, cannot do it, would be a huge mistake, Cleveland Browns Deshawn Watson type mistake.

Unless Brock rapes some women it cannot be worse than Watson's.

He's also been a really good QB for 30+ games. Hating over one or two games is pathetic reflection of our "faithful" fans.

What's the alternative? Get lucky in the draft again or pay another QB 60 million? Top elite QBs don't leave their current team. It's a Kirk cousins level qb at best.

Who can we possibly find to throw 3 picks and zero TDs against the Chiefs?

The bar ain't that high, should be a few guys that can cut the mustard.
I'm not saying he has a big rifle arm but y'all are acting like he's noodle armed Alex smith which just isn't true. His arm is average and good enough to make all the throws you need to make. His arm strength is Brady tier (don't come at me not saying he's Brady just comparing the arm strength)

Alex was pick 1. do the math. why do you think brock was round 7 exactly?

Alex Smith had a better arm than Purdy, though it wasn't elite. Alex Smith was a checkdown artist because he was risk adverse to a fault. Tom Brady had considerably better arm strength than Purdy, though also not elite.

His arm strength isn't average. It's one of the weaker starting arms in the league. He has generally very good processing and decision making and has been able to overcome that limitation.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

Agree with this.

BA is more than fine off the LOS. His releases are not the problem lol. We got an issue now with him being done for the year most likely.

I don't get the no slot threat and talking about breaking ankles at the LOS? They get free releases all game in the slot.

we lost BA half way thru the game. Deebo had a tummy ache and didn't even play. Ricky hasn't played football in forever. That all showed up today vs a really good pass D.
Why are we assuming the under throw of cowing was an arm strength issue? Cowing is a fast player and maybe Brock just miscalculated. It's funny how yall are jumping to the conclusion that Purdy isn't great over one bad game against the best team in the league.

It's not 1 bad game. He's had a number this year, this was just the worst by far. His numbers are reflecting that too with his QB rating now in the low 90s for the season.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by dj43:
Answer: Steve Spagnuolo.

Until the 49ers get some guys that can beat man defense and Shanahan learns how to use them, nothing will change. The man is that good.

BA can and does beat man coverage. KC traded their best man cover DB. McDuffe is damn good, but acting like every single guy they have in coverage is elite at that is simply not true.

Spags is a stud no doubt, their talent on defense isn't special.

Brock has to be better. Mahomes was not good today BUT again when they needed to have it he com though in the clutch. Brock threw multiple INTs when SF needed him to show up.

KC's defense is under-rated, IMO. They have excellent speed at LB - Chenal and Bolton fly around and make plays. Secondary is solid. DL revolves around Jones but they have depth and Spag makes good use of them. They held the Ravens to 20 and the Bengals to 25 - both of them have some firepower. Their other wins have been against meh teams but they held them to 17, 10, and 13.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Alex Smith had a better arm than Purdy, though it wasn't elite. Alex Smith was a checkdown artist because he was risk adverse to a fault. Tom Brady had considerably better arm strength than Purdy, though also not elite.

His arm strength isn't average. It's one of the weaker starting arms in the league. He has generally very good processing and decision making and has been able to overcome that limitation.

I don't think we are watching the same player…no way in hell does Alex smith have a stronger arm than Purdy and I loved Alex.

I never said he had a noodle arm. I said his arm strength is not a positive. It doesn't ultimately matter, until it does like today….it wasn't "good enough" or there would have been two more TDs.

his arm is not as strong as Tom's and he doesn't have a cannon.
Share 49ersWebzone