There are 495 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Lack of YAK isn't helping

Teams have scouted Shanahan and are moving their safeties closer together to take away the middle. Reid's poach on the first pick is a good example.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I don't think we are watching the same player…no way in hell does Alex smith have a stronger arm than Purdy and I loved Alex.

I hated watching Alex play and he absolutely did. Brock has one of the weakest arms among any starter in the league. He is throwing balloons out there. He shows decent velocity on quick hitters over the middle. He is able to complete sideline passes using top tier anticipation.
Originally posted by dj43:
Teams have scouted Shanahan and are moving their safeties closer together to take away the middle. Reid's poach on the first pick is a good example.

Reid was playing off but no one to hold that safety and he didn't buy the run fake. and the soft toss enabled him to drive on the ball make a play on it
KC's defense is under-rated, IMO. They have excellent speed at LB - Chenal and Bolton fly around and make plays. Secondary is solid. DL revolves around Jones but they have depth and Spag makes good use of them. They held the Ravens to 20 and the Bengals to 25 - both of them have some firepower. Their other wins have been against meh teams but they held them to 17, 10, and 13.

Bengals were down Higgins who's shown he's baller. Ravens should have won that game.

I know they got a really good D…if Brock's gonna be the man he's gotta show up in those big moments like Mahomes did today, regardless if he was playing poorly prior
Originally posted by NYniner85:
BA is more than fine off the LOS. His releases are not the problem lol. We got an issue now with him being done for the year most likely.

I don't get the no slot threat and talking about breaking ankles at the LOS? They get free releases all game in the slot.

we lost BA half way thru the game. Deebo had a tummy ache and didn't even play. Ricky hasn't played football in forever. That all showed up today vs a really good pass D.

BA is fine, I agree. What I was mostly agreeing with in that post, and I should have bolded it, was the bottom portion of the post about our scheme.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Reid was playing off but no one to hold that safety and he didn't buy the run fake. and the soft toss enabled him to drive on the ball make a play on it

He wasn't as far off as safeties were playing us last year. That is typical of the way safeties have been playing the 49ers this year.

He wasn't as far off as safeties were playing us last year. That is typical of the way safeties have been playing the 49ers this year.

Bellichik gave that formula as how you beat the 49ers on the Manning cast a couple weeks ago. He said the 49ers don't like to throw outside the numbers and are a throw middle team. He said you clog the middle and make them beat you outside the numbers. He is obviously right.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Because there's no slot threat...

People are correct in saying ayuik can win man coverage but he usually doesn't do it off the line.

You need a wr or two who can break a dudes ankles off the line and get open in a step or two on a quick slant...

We have yet to see that done. Cowing or pearsall may be capable but need more time to tell.

Part of the problem is the scheme and play calling is already tailored to scheme these long developing routes open. There's hardly any quick man beating plays...

Agree with this.

BA is more than fine off the LOS. His releases are not the problem lol. We got an issue now with him being done for the year most likely.

I don't get the no slot threat and talking about breaking ankles at the LOS? They get free releases all game in the slot.

we lost BA half way thru the game. Deebo had a tummy ache and didn't even play. Ricky hasn't played football in forever. That all showed up today vs a really good pass D.

None of our WR are speed threats. That's the problem; that makes it difficult when the D plays man or tight at line of scrimmage.

you see huge cushions when the D respects speed of a WR.
[ Edited by MBNINER90266 on Oct 20, 2024 at 7:36 PM ]
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:

Bellichik gave that formula as how you beat the 49ers on the Manning cast a couple weeks ago. He said the 49ers don't like to throw outside the numbers and are a throw middle team. He said you clog the middle and make them beat you outside the numbers. He is obviously right.

So just like they were with Garappollo.
Originally posted by Heed49er:

Brock is Jimmy 2.0 but with some quick speed bursts.

Originally posted by JC_916:

Brock is Jimmy 2.0 but with some quick speed bursts.

He's definitely better than Garapollo but not sure he's worth 60M.

In some ways. Brock is considerably more poised under pressure, more accurate, a better processor, and able to extend plays with his legs.

He's basically better at everything but still not suited to consistently stretch defenses.
Why are we assuming the under throw of cowing was an arm strength issue? Cowing is a fast player and maybe Brock just miscalculated. It's funny how yall are jumping to the conclusion that Purdy isn't great over one bad game against the best team in the league.

Dude he's under thrown the ball plenty of times. You can make a list of pros and cons of QBs. His arm strength overall is not a positive. It's just the truth of it.

Like others said, he does plenty of other things well.

today was a bad day for the team as a whole, including our QB.

I'm not saying he has a big rifle arm but y'all are acting like he's noodle armed Alex smith which just isn't true. His arm is average and good enough to make all the throws you need to make. His arm strength is Brady tier (don't come at me not saying he's Brady just comparing the arm strength)

This is Brady throwing about 68-70 yards, not counting the extra 5 or so yards from being the opposite hash mark to the numbers.

Don't think Brock can do that.... or needs to do that. But he needs to hit these missed deep TDs.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 20, 2024 at 7:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Why are we assuming the under throw of cowing was an arm strength issue? Cowing is a fast player and maybe Brock just miscalculated. It's funny how yall are jumping to the conclusion that Purdy isn't great over one bad game against the best team in the league.

Dude he's under thrown the ball plenty of times. You can make a list of pros and cons of QBs. His arm strength overall is not a positive. It's just the truth of it.

I'm not saying he has a big rifle arm but y'all are acting like he's noodle armed Alex smith which just isn't true. His arm is average and good enough to make all the throws you need to make. His arm strength is Brady tier (don't come at me not saying he's Brady just comparing the arm strength)

This is Brady throwing about 68-70 yards, not counting the extra 5 or so yards from being the opposite hash mark to the numbers.

Don't think Brock can do that.... or needs to do that. But he needs to hit these missed deep TDs.

the ball would still be in the air if brock threw this.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

the ball would still be in the air if brock threw this.

Yes after it bounced off his Olineman's helmet shooting straight up to the stars.
Share 49ersWebzone