There are 367 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Allen and Lamar can do it, but I think Mahomes is on another level. They aren't going to get through 4 playoff defenses with juju as #1 like Mahomes

I think Stroud has looked good not trying to take anything away from him. Just thought another young qb would be a better comparison

Mahomes has had a better situation around him than either one of those other guys pretty much every season. Maybe an exception last year with Baltimore. Splitting hairs either way I guess, as they're all great players.

I think your comparison with Stroud and Brock made sense… I just wouldn't consider either of them in that top tier group and use the comparison to prop the other up (if that makes sense).
Originally posted by jays9ers:
If you pay Brock 50+ million would be the biggest mistake. He doesn't elevate other players. Paying him well gut this already depleted roster. Brock is top 13-20 qb tops. We end up in no man's land of we pay him top dollar

It takes teams 10+ years of mediocrity to find a QB as good as Brock. You ready to go back to the Alex Smith Tim Ratay, Cody Picket days cuz I'm not
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by GLT49ers:
NFL live talking about how purdy can't play without all his stars playing. They are right purdy is just below average qb

How many QB's play with what we are fielding? Every skill position but one is down to backups.

Mahomes is doing it. no RB1, no WR1, no WR2. pretty similar. everyone does, this is pro football. injuries all over the league.

Sure, Mahomes is winning. But had 2 Ints and 150 yards passing the other day, against our defense. Against the Niners defense, let that sink in. On the season, he has more Interceptions then Purdy, Less TDs, Less yards, worst passer rating. Everything statistically is worst. Mahomes is winning because that defense is elite, and coaching that has creative play calling that generates scoring even when the talent is sub par.

Regardless of the fact that his top 3 WRs were out, yesterday Purdy was terrible and that is on him. He has got to play better then that even when the talent isn't there and when you are going against the best defense in football. I just think this narrative that Purdy has been carried throughout his career by superstars, and wouldn't survive on a another team, is just wrong. His pass blocking has be awful throughout his career and he has a bunch of WRs who struggle to to get separation against man coverage. Again, not excusing yesterdays performance, that was on him.
Originally posted by Bloodless:
NFL live talking about how purdy can't play without all his stars playing. They are right purdy is just below average qb

How many QB's play with what we are fielding? Every skill position but one is down to backups.

Mahomes is doing it. no RB1, no WR1, no WR2. pretty similar. everyone does, this is pro football. injuries all over the league.

Sure, Mahomes is winning. But had 2 Ints and 150 yards passing the other day, against our defense. Against the Niners defense, let that sink in. On the season, he has more Interceptions then Purdy, Less TDs, Less yards, worst passer rating. Everything statistically is worst. Mahomes is winning because that defense is elite, and coaching that has creative play calling that generates scoring even when the talent is sub par.

Regardless of the fact that his top 3 WRs were out, yesterday Purdy was terrible and that is on him. He has got to play better then that even when the talent isn't there and when you are going against the best defense in football. I just think this narrative that Purdy has been carried throughout his career by superstars, and wouldn't survive on a another team, is just wrong. His pass blocking has be awful throughout his career and he has a bunch of WRs who struggle to to get separation against man coverage. Again, not excusing yesterdays performance, that was on him.

If your comparing mahomes to purdy then your point is laughable

i watched his 2 ints, it's a DL getting a paw up and its a WR falling down. he played well even if the stats are what they are. you have to look at the TOs in the context of what took place.
I think it's fair to say we need to see more. The rest of the season. In the big picture of playing he's still early in and for the most part only seen him in optimum situations. I really do think this is Trent's last year. How's it going to be.

I am actually glad to be seeing this. He is either going to learn from it or it is part of him. Better to see now than later.

Is Mahomes really doing it though? He's winning but his stats are not good at all. The difference is he has both an elite defense and an elite special teams unit.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Is Mahomes really doing it though? He's winning but his stats are not good at all. The difference is he has both an elite defense and an elite special teams unit.

Its just a reminder that most of the stats people use are team stats and don't mean very much.

comparing two QBs is far from laughable. Exactly apples to apples.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

Sure but Mahomes is a much better player than Purdy and thinking otherwise is delusional.

Originally posted by sick9erfan:
If you pay Brock 50+ million would be the biggest mistake. He doesn't elevate other players. Paying him well gut this already depleted roster. Brock is top 13-20 qb tops. We end up in no man's land of we pay him top dollar

It takes teams 10+ years of mediocrity to find a QB as good as Brock. You ready to go back to the Alex Smith Tim Ratay, Cody Picket days cuz I'm not

Whats wrong with Alex Smith? He almost got the 49ers to the Superbowl and he would of won over 100 games for his career if not for a terrible leg injury.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

Mahomes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> purdy

Mahomes is better then Purdy. I am not saying that. But I am saying Mahomes over the last two years without weapons, has been struggling. Statistically it hasnt even been average over the last two years.
i watched his 2 ints, it's a DL getting a paw up and its a WR falling down. he played well even if the stats are what they are. you have to look at the TOs in the context of what took place.

I do think Mahomes play slightly better then Purdy yesterday but He had one of the worst passer ratings of his career when the opposing QB turned the ball over 3 times and that was against our defense, not the best defense in football. My point is that Mahomes is struggling with no receivers. But everyone is pretending Mahomes is the one out there winning all these games for the Chiefs. How many of those measly 150 yards yesterday were screen passes? He overthrew a wide open TD. everyone bashed Purdys two deep throws. But at least he put those were they could and were completed.
[ Edited by Bloodless on Oct 21, 2024 at 2:48 PM ]
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by sick9erfan:

Whats wrong with Alex Smith? He almost got the 49ers to the Superbowl and he would of won over 100 games for his career if not for a terrible leg injury.

lol no. He was a bust. And up to the Trey Lance pick, he was regarded as the worst pick in our history (with the overall pick). Dude was damaged goods for years. Only when Harbaugh gave him a great defense and some offensive weapons he became a game manager. And even a mediocre one at that (think Giants NFCC game). Harbs did the right thing benching his ass. Actually tried to trade him to Miami the offseason before when he tried to woo Manning into SF…
Mahomes is better then Purdy. I am not saying that. But I am saying Mahomes over the last two years without weapons, has been struggling. Statistically it hasnt even been average over the last two years.

I do think Mahomes play slightly better then Purdy yesterday but He had one of the worst passer ratings of his career when the opposing QB turned the ball over 3 times and that was against our defense, not the best defense in football. My point is that Mahomes is struggling with no receivers. But everyone is pretending Mahomes is the one out there winning all these games for the Chiefs. How many of those measly 150 yards yesterday were screen passes?

How many of his completions and scrambles were on 3rd down? Weren't they like 8-14 or something like that? That's really good.

Not having high skill guys surrounding Mahomes has hurt his production (stats). And I think he hasn't played consistently well this season outside of isolating his production. But he played well yesterday and he's still at the top of the league.
Share 49ersWebzone