LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 162 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
I thought the ranking of Brock's throws was a little strange. It's pretty rare for announcers to keep calling throws "average" when they're completed. Like every deep ball that Stafford hit or got pi on against us was underthrown, but never once was there an "average throw" comment. The throws were definitely not perfect, but going out of his way to point it out on multiple deep completions was weird imo

Totally weird.

Made me laugh when Mahomes threw an uncharacteristically bad incompletion and the announcer started his sentence "Even on that throw... " and started to manufacture some kind of inherent greatness. I had to turn the commentary off for a bit then, which something I hardly ever do.

Don't get me wrong, Mahomes is the guy, but they got locked into worship mode on one side of the ball, and hyper-critical mode on the other.
[ Edited by joeknows on Oct 24, 2024 at 5:06 AM ]
Originally posted by joeknows:
Totally weird.

Made me laugh when Mahomes threw an uncharacteristically bad incompletion and the announcer started his sentence "Even on that throw... " and started to manufacture some kind of inherent greatness. I had to turn the commentary off for a bit then, which something I hardly ever do.

Don't get me wrong, Mahomes is the guy, but they got locked into worship mode on one side of the ball, and hyper-critical mode on the other.

Reminds me of a game long time ago, Green Bay and Brett F. On a particular play, the announcer said, "Brett Favre is the only quarterback that can make that throw."
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
You read the article here on this site and see for yourself. You see I'm a 49er fan and I don't give a good god damn about Brady but just like him. I said what I said. To me his take was trash and Purdy has played exceptionally well for a guy that got zero reps his rookie year then had no offseason his second year and now his first full year with an offseason with worn down vets holding out wanting to be paid as if they won the chip and with Brock playing for pennies

I am not about wreckless criticism of our QB when he's busting his a$$ trying to will our team into wins. 7 games in and folk wanna talk all slick at the mouth but let's see what's up at season's end

Again....what did Brady say specifically that makes you conclude it was 'trash?'
Originally posted by elguapo:
That Tom Brady take was trash. Purdy has played light years better than Brady could have dreamed to start his own career.

Purdy wishes he could be carried by his defense and special teams and game winning FGs his first three chips

This!

Give Brock the KC defense or even this defense with Spags as DC, this isn't even an issue. Defense and especially the DC are garbage.
It is one thing for the ignorant Cam Newton to have his trash take but for someone as knowledgeable as Brady is supposed to be? Cmon man. If Brady had played like Purdy did when he first hit the scene NE would've not had to rely on that damn kicker to close out games and that defense. In the early days it was Bellicheck known as the genius not Tom. If Tom played like Purdy did there would not have been a debate as to whether Tom or Peyton was the best during the peak of their era.

Yep, I remember when Tom first came on the scene, much more was thought of Bellicheck and not so much Tom. I remember people saying that he was a scrappy guy with not very impressive throws. But people did get spoiled with Favre and so, people would compare perhaps unfairly some to him.

Tom seems to have gotten a bit of arrogance over time, not the extent of say, Elway though lol. But the dude has seven rings though lol so, understandable some. Or maybe it is just his fierce mindset. But Brock came on the scene and made the guy look like he was very much at the door of retirement. Actually, it was like he was thrown through the door that day. I believe they cut that Tampa game off during the 3rd quarter and showed a different game cause the ass whipping was so bad, iirc. Lol. Tom even said that he got his ass kicked lol. It was a great game.
My take was that Tom did not like that Brock destroyed him his first season, and that he is threatened by Brocks story. Could he be this shallow and petty? He's a celebrity so you bet your ass he could be, it was weird and borderline unprofessional.

Brady what sixth rounder? Maybe seven but Brock the absolute last pick.
Brock tearing up League statistically, Brady was on an absolute Defensive Juggernaut his first few years, I remember Alot of sub 200 yard performances from Pretty Boy early on.
Just looked up Brady's early stats and they are beyond Average, Passer rating 85 his first three years, Brock is 106.
Just goes to show you that you can be incredibly rich incredibly good looking and also incredibly insecure.
Originally posted by sick9erfan:
Just looked up Brady's early stats and they are beyond Average, Passer rating 85 his first three years, Brock is 106.
Just goes to show you that you can be incredibly rich incredibly good looking and also incredibly insecure.

Just cuz Brady said some mean stuff about Brock let's not get stupid now. Brady was playing with way weaker skill players around him in a worse system during a time when defenses could actually hit people, including QBs.

However I also don't know what crawled up Tom's ass in that game. Sure Brock played poorly but the whole "average throw" does come off petty and unnecessary. Tom know as well as anyone how important having guys you trust out there considering he talked about how he refused to throw to young players who didn't have his trust. We've also seen him struggle without his proven guys and he was not taking it well.

Basically he's talking out both sides of his mouth but comparing their play early in their careers is still dumb. Not comparable. Just need to remind Tom how he didn't look his best against a Spags defense with a historically great offense around him, let alone if he was forced to throw to 2 rookies who were going into that game without a single NFL catch and two guys who was a 10 year vet who never broke 800 yards in a season even when getting serious playing time and still running routes poorly at times and Ronnie Bell. 2nd year player who already cost you a game.
Originally posted by Isosceles:
Totally weird.

Reminds me of a game long time ago, Green Bay and Brett F. On a particular play, the announcer said, "Brett Favre is the only quarterback that can make that throw."

The only time I have ever seen throws no one else could have made was the game after Brett Farve's Dad died....I don't think I have ever seen such an amazing collection of improbably completions...

Outside of that one game ...well...and a few of Cunningham's throws (the fall down throw comes to mind) tons of great throws could be made by a handful of QBs...
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
I thought the ranking of Brock's throws was a little strange. It's pretty rare for announcers to keep calling throws "average" when they're completed. Like every deep ball that Stafford hit or got pi on against us was underthrown, but never once was there an "average throw" comment. The throws were definitely not perfect, but going out of his way to point it out on multiple deep completions was weird imo

Totally weird.

I know what you mean. It's like that with all big name athletes. When Judge or Ohtani hit a HR it's always a monster even when it only goes 415 ft. An average player hits one 430 and they don't get near as excited about it.

Brock better not sh*t the bed against the Cowpokes like he did against the Chiefs..

If he does, the national media will come after him.
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Brock better not sh*t the bed against the Cowpokes like he did against the Chiefs..

If he does and continues to struggle than maybe we can lock him up on a Baker type deal But for more years lol
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:

If he does and continues to struggle than maybe we can lock him up on a Baker type deal But for more years lol

Haha Shanny s**tting the bed on purpose to fool the league and get Brock for 10 for 250, then unleash pure Brocky.
Shanny needs to bench Brock and then we will get him for a few stale donuts.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
This is insane.

Share 49ersWebzone