QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
It's not being negative to point out that he has a weak arm. It's uplifting because it shows how he's managed to be successful in spite of his disability.

We have seen some balls die on him these last few games and we haven't really seen him attempt many difficult throws that would require him to throw with higher velocity.
As to the former, that's simply untrue.

As to the latter: Proof? Cite? Video? TIA.

He's probably talking about the long TD to Aiyuk against TB where there was pressure in Brocks face and he took a hit as he was throwing it, and Aiyuk had to wait for the ball. So something that would happen to any other qb in the same situation.

That's actually not one of the throws I was talking about. They were against Seattle and Washington in the first half.

Oh, so you are going to judge his arm strength based on games he played in with a partial tear of his oblique? Do you understand throwing mechanics at all?

I'm going to judge him by what he does. It's not like there was a significant or noticeable drop in his arm strength in those two games either. He wasn't firing rockets against Miami and TB. His worst throw might have been the one against Miami where he tried to hit Deebo in the endzone.

He has a weak arm. That's ok. Many successful QBs have overcome that. Tua has one. Old Drew Brees had one. We don't need to pretend that he's perfect to acknowledge that he's played really well.

He was late on that throw to Deebo more than anything else.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Seems like some are manufacturing things to nit pick No one claims BCB has a cannon but anyone claiming he lacks arm strength to make all the throws should back that up with evidence IMO

Apparently his arm is a "disability"

All the more reason to enshrine him in the HOF. First disabled NFL QB.
Seems like some are manufacturing things to nit pick No one claims BCB has a cannon but anyone claiming he lacks arm strength to make all the throws should back that up with evidence IMO

Apparently his arm is a "disability"

All the more reason to enshrine him in the HOF. First disabled NFL QB.

Definitely winning the Superbowl this year with that kind of story on our side.
And I bet you will always bring up his arm strength every chance you get!

At least until another 'shortcoming' shows itself. That's the worst thing you can hang on Purdy at this point. He doesn't have elite arm strength, elite speed, or ideal size for the position. None of it is necessary.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by Disp:
It's not being negative to point out that he has a weak arm. It's uplifting because it shows how he's managed to be successful in spite of his disability.

We have seen some balls die on him these last few games and we haven't really seen him attempt many difficult throws that would require him to throw with higher velocity.
As to the former, that's simply untrue.

As to the latter: Proof? Cite? Video? TIA.

He's probably talking about the long TD to Aiyuk against TB where there was pressure in Brocks face and he took a hit as he was throwing it, and Aiyuk had to wait for the ball. So something that would happen to any other qb in the same situation.

That's actually not one of the throws I was talking about. They were against Seattle and Washington in the first half.

Oh, so you are going to judge his arm strength based on games he played in with a partial tear of his oblique? Do you understand throwing mechanics at all?

I'm going to judge him by what he does. It's not like there was a significant or noticeable drop in his arm strength in those two games either. He wasn't firing rockets against Miami and TB. His worst throw might have been the one against Miami where he tried to hit Deebo in the endzone.

He has a weak arm. That's ok. Many successful QBs have overcome that. Tua has one. Old Drew Brees had one. We don't need to pretend that he's perfect to acknowledge that he's played really well.

He was late on that throw to Deebo more than anything else.

And he could have gotten away with it with a stronger arm.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about, lol. It's already been covered here that he's got an above average arm and what he did to improve it.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

At least until another 'shortcoming' shows itself. That's the worst thing you can hang on Purdy at this point. He doesn't have elite arm strength, elite speed, or ideal size for the position. None of it is necessary.

his 95 percentile 10 yard split begs to differ

It's a discussion forum. Should we not discuss Purdy? Do we need to only point out the good things? The arm strength debate is only going to take up as much space as the amount of effort people put into pushing back against that critique.

For some reason this forum loves sacred cows. Can't criticize Jimmy. Can't criticize Purdy. Could say whatever you want about Mike McGlinchey and no one would ever push back on it as long as it wasn't positive about him.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

You don't have a clue what you're talking about, lol. It's already been covered here that he's got an above average arm and what he did to improve it.

Yes, the numbers show his arm is as good as Justin Herbert's. It's already been pointed out.
  • thl408

It's a discussion forum. Should we not discuss Purdy? Do we need to only point out the good things? The arm strength debate is only going to take up as much space as the amount of effort people put into pushing back against that critique.

For some reason this forum loves sacred cows. Can't criticize Jimmy. Can't criticize Purdy. Could say whatever you want about Mike McGlinchey and no one would ever push back on it as long as it wasn't positive about him.

You can criticize whatever you want.

Originally posted by boast:

Elite speed, elite arm strength, incoming claim about elite height, 4 year starter. How did he drop to the 7th round?

Sure, lol, but you know damn well what I'm saying.

When a person (Ring) hitches his wagon to a player that has those elite traits, this is the best criticism they can come up with for Brock. These are luxuries, not necessities. Only one of our young QBs has shown the ability to handle the necessities of the position in their very limited time playing.

Elite speed, elite arm strength, incoming claim about elite height, 4 year starter. How did he drop to the 7th round?

I don't think anyone is claiming Elite status. But very few are claiming Disability status.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

I don't think anyone is claiming Elite status. But very few are claiming Disability status.

The disability thing was a joke. His arm is just subpar, not terminal.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

The disability thing was a joke. His arm is just subpar, not terminal.

It's not even subpar, it is above average, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone