LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 183 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
And I bet you will always bring up his arm strength every chance you get!

At least until another 'shortcoming' shows itself. That's the worst thing you can hang on Purdy at this point. He doesn't have elite arm strength, elite speed, or ideal size for the position. None of it is necessary.
And "not elite" does not equal "weak," at least to most.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
And "not elite" does not equal "weak," at least to most.

Definitely. Purdy has average arm strength. It's adequate. Provided a QB can hit the baseline minimum of necessary arm strength, accuracy, timing, and decision making are going to be much more important traits. He's excelling in those areas so far for the most part.

Count me in the group that wants to build off that ideally, rather than go backwards to see if the guy with the canon can develop those things... especially in the middle of a Super Bowl window.
Definitely. Purdy has average arm strength. It's adequate. Provided a QB can hit the baseline minimum of necessary arm strength, accuracy, timing, and decision making are going to be much more important traits. He's excelling in those areas so far for the most part.

Count me in the group that wants to build off that ideally, rather than go backwards to see if the guy with the canon can develop those things... especially in the middle of a Super Bowl window.
I'm not even concerned about next year at this point. Why bother? Worst case is we end up with two young, talented men pushing each other to be the starter. That's a win-win.
the weakest arm ive ever seen in the nfl eas chad pennington, and even he made a career in the nfl

purdy has a much better arm, it's perfectly suitable for a starting qb
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
And I bet you will always bring up his arm strength every chance you get!

At least until another 'shortcoming' shows itself. That's the worst thing you can hang on Purdy at this point. He doesn't have elite arm strength, elite speed, or ideal size for the position. None of it is necessary.

his 95 percentile 10 yard split begs to differ

Elite speed, elite arm strength, incoming claim about elite height, 4 year starter. How did he drop to the 7th round?

there have been many discussions about how pre-draft QB evaluations could change in the future because of Brock.
[ Edited by boast on Dec 30, 2022 at 2:19 PM ]
I'm not even concerned about next year at this point. Why bother? Worst case is we end up with two young, talented men pushing each other to be the starter. That's a win-win.

That's fair enough. I've just seen enough of Ring's posts to have a good idea why he's making these criticisms. Its been present across the QB discussions to discussions around the team's current ceiling.
It's a discussion forum. Should we not discuss Purdy? Do we need to only point out the good things? The arm strength debate is only going to take up as much space as the amount of effort people put into pushing back against that critique.

For some reason this forum loves sacred cows. Can't criticize Jimmy. Can't criticize Purdy. Could say whatever you want about Mike McGlinchey and no one would ever push back on it as long as it wasn't positive about him.

no my point is purdy can win games and look great doing it, but as soon as he underthrows a pass (which all qbs do) you will whine about him not having a cannon for an arm
Always throw it to Kittle.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Always throw it to Kittle.

"Kittle is the 49ers' ultimate match-up nightmare."

I'll see you that, sir, and raise you:

"Samuel is the 49ers' ultimate match-up nightmare."

"McCaffrey is the 49ers' ultimate match-up nightmare."

UR
WEL
CUM
!
gotta love the Iowa St to Iowa connection. the jabs they make at each other about their schools have been entertaining.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by Disp:
It's not being negative to point out that he has a weak arm. It's uplifting because it shows how he's managed to be successful in spite of his disability.

We have seen some balls die on him these last few games and we haven't really seen him attempt many difficult throws that would require him to throw with higher velocity.
As to the former, that's simply untrue.

As to the latter: Proof? Cite? Video? TIA.

He's probably talking about the long TD to Aiyuk against TB where there was pressure in Brocks face and he took a hit as he was throwing it, and Aiyuk had to wait for the ball. So something that would happen to any other qb in the same situation.

That's actually not one of the throws I was talking about. They were against Seattle and Washington in the first half.

Oh, so you are going to judge his arm strength based on games he played in with a partial tear of his oblique? Do you understand throwing mechanics at all?

I'm going to judge him by what he does. It's not like there was a significant or noticeable drop in his arm strength in those two games either. He wasn't firing rockets against Miami and TB. His worst throw might have been the one against Miami where he tried to hit Deebo in the endzone.

He has a weak arm. That's ok. Many successful QBs have overcome that. Tua has one. Old Drew Brees had one. We don't need to pretend that he's perfect to acknowledge that he's played really well.

He was late on that throw to Deebo more than anything else.

And he could have gotten away with it with a stronger arm.

I'd rather a QB be on time than have a stronger arm to try and make up for it. Processing >>>> arm strength.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's not being negative to point out that he has a weak arm. It's uplifting because it shows how he's managed to be successful in spite of his disability.

We have seen some balls die on him these last few games and we haven't really seen him attempt many difficult throws that would require him to throw with higher velocity.

He's probably talking about the long TD to Aiyuk against TB where there was pressure in Brocks face and he took a hit as he was throwing it, and Aiyuk had to wait for the ball. So something that would happen to any other qb in the same situation.

That's actually not one of the throws I was talking about. They were against Seattle and Washington in the first half.

Oh, so you are going to judge his arm strength based on games he played in with a partial tear of his oblique? Do you understand throwing mechanics at all?

I'm going to judge him by what he does. It's not like there was a significant or noticeable drop in his arm strength in those two games either. He wasn't firing rockets against Miami and TB. His worst throw might have been the one against Miami where he tried to hit Deebo in the endzone.

He has a weak arm. That's ok. Many successful QBs have overcome that. Tua has one. Old Drew Brees had one. We don't need to pretend that he's perfect to acknowledge that he's played really well.

I'd rather a QB be on time than have a stronger arm to try and make up for it. Processing >>>> arm strength.

Joe is a great example of that.
I'm very sorry Mister Joe Montana. So very sorry. Even if you offered Brock Purdy the option of wearing the #16 jersey number that you made famous, Brock Purdy would be very gracious in turning you down flat. Switching uniform numbers would be an insult to his boyhood idol, and the favorite player of Brock's father: Dan Marino.

Yes, our new QB star in the making did not grow up idolizing the likes of Joe Montana or even Steve Young. He may have thought Tom Brady or Peyton Manning was cool, but it was always Marino in his book. When his father was teaching him to pass the football, he told his son that he "needed to have a quick release like Marino."

I wonder who Joe Montana's boyhood NFL idol was? I know it probably wasn't John Brodie. Roger the Dodger maybe?

Interesting interview here: https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/brock-purdy-explains-how-the-49ers-discovered-him. Grant Cohn's piece is interesting, but it's the full video of Purdy in front of the media that is most interesting.

You can have both.
Purdy has average arm strength. It's adequate.

Everyone is due an opinion. I just disagree with it. I don't see how you can make that statement, but I will agree that I've seen Purdy float a few passes. But that is intentional. He's got an internal timing clock in his head that can instantly translate into how much arm strength is needed, or what kind of arm strength is needed, for each throw. He just doesn't chuck it. I've seen enough of him now to understand this.

If you want a good illustration of the kid's arm strength, I think the TD pass he threw to Kittle against Washington is a good example of it. It's the play that was designed to go to Ray-Ray, but Kittle took it instead because Kittle is a beast. It was described by the play-by-play man as a "34-yard laser" and it was. Plus, to be honest, Purdy chucked that thing from the 39 yard line and hit Kittle two yards into the endzone. But, that's only if you want to get technical about it.

That is Brock Purdy's arm strength. That isn't "average." It isn't "adequate" either. I'd call it pretty darn good.
Share 49ersWebzone