QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Got to love how humble Brock is:

That's our boy!

Man he looks real small next to Kittle

I am sure players changed their weight, but in the official weight listed Purdy was only 4 pounds lighter than Trey.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Dec 30, 2022 at 5:04 PM ]
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
It's not being negative to point out that he has a weak arm. It's uplifting because it shows how he's managed to be successful in spite of his disability.

We have seen some balls die on him these last few games and we haven't really seen him attempt many difficult throws that would require him to throw with higher velocity.
As to the former, that's simply untrue.

As to the latter: Proof? Cite? Video? TIA.

He's probably talking about the long TD to Aiyuk against TB where there was pressure in Brocks face and he took a hit as he was throwing it, and Aiyuk had to wait for the ball. So something that would happen to any other qb in the same situation.

That's actually not one of the throws I was talking about. They were against Seattle and Washington in the first half.

Oh, so you are going to judge his arm strength based on games he played in with a partial tear of his oblique? Do you understand throwing mechanics at all?

I'm going to judge him by what he does. It's not like there was a significant or noticeable drop in his arm strength in those two games either. He wasn't firing rockets against Miami and TB. His worst throw might have been the one against Miami where he tried to hit Deebo in the endzone.

He has a weak arm. That's ok. Many successful QBs have overcome that. Tua has one. Old Drew Brees had one. We don't need to pretend that he's perfect to acknowledge that he's played really well.

He was late on that throw to Deebo more than anything else.

And he could have gotten away with it with a stronger arm.

I'd rather a QB be on time than have a stronger arm to try and make up for it. Processing >>>> arm strength.

Joe is a great example of that.

So is Brady and Manning.

Brady and Manning both had cannons.

Uhh no

Manning did until he got hurt.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Manning did until he got hurt.

Nah and he threw wobblers
No, they did not. They had adequate arm strength. Neither had elite arm strength.

Brady's arm strength was better than Manning's. Payton's arm wasn't special at all, but yeah neither were known for elite arm strength.

I think their arms got stronger later in their careers but their arms were not elite coming into the league. Anyone saying otherwise should checkout their draft scouting reports.

As long as a QB can throw the ball at least 54 mph, they can have long term success in the NFL. Its much more important to be able to process the field quickly than it is to be able to throw the ball 60+ mph.
Nah and he threw wobblers

Yea, Peyton had elite anticipation and accuracy. Definitely not arm strength. Neither did Brady, but Brady's was still pretty good and better than Peyton's.
I think their arms got stronger later in their careers but their arms were not elite coming into the league. Anyone saying otherwise should checkout their draft scouting reports.

As long as a QB can throw the ball at least 54 mph, they can have long term success in the NFL. Its much more important to be able to process the field quickly than it is to be able to throw the ball 60+ mph.

In Brady's case I definitely think that's true. Manning was pretty consistent until the neck injury.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

In Brady's case I definitely think that's true. Manning was pretty consistent until the neck injury.

Manning did have a good arm coming into the league (not arguing that) but it was not elite. Manning's neck injury absolutely affected his throwing velocity and was what eventually drove him into retirement.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's not being negative to point out that he has a weak arm. It's uplifting because it shows how he's managed to be successful in spite of his disability.

We have seen some balls die on him these last few games and we haven't really seen him attempt many difficult throws that would require him to throw with higher velocity.

He's probably talking about the long TD to Aiyuk against TB where there was pressure in Brocks face and he took a hit as he was throwing it, and Aiyuk had to wait for the ball. So something that would happen to any other qb in the same situation.

That's actually not one of the throws I was talking about. They were against Seattle and Washington in the first half.

Oh, so you are going to judge his arm strength based on games he played in with a partial tear of his oblique? Do you understand throwing mechanics at all?

I'm going to judge him by what he does. It's not like there was a significant or noticeable drop in his arm strength in those two games either. He wasn't firing rockets against Miami and TB. His worst throw might have been the one against Miami where he tried to hit Deebo in the endzone.

He has a weak arm. That's ok. Many successful QBs have overcome that. Tua has one. Old Drew Brees had one. We don't need to pretend that he's perfect to acknowledge that he's played really well.

I'd rather a QB be on time than have a stronger arm to try and make up for it. Processing >>>> arm strength.

So is Brady and Manning.

No, they did not. They had adequate arm strength. Neither had elite arm strength.

Maybe, not elite, but they both had good arms - I agree.

So is Brady and Manning.

When you say cannon, I am thinking 60+ mph.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Dec 30, 2022 at 5:25 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

So is Brady and Manning.

When you say cannon, I am thinking 60+ mph.

Yeah, they had enough zip to get it into those tight windows.

Clemson just ran the Purdy.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I am sure players changed their weight, but in the official weight listed Purdy was only 4 pounds lighter than Trey.

Dudes got a baby face with RB legs.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Dudes got a baby face with RB legs.

Yo those legs are a real sign of physical gift. Foundation is the key! And it shows in his play. Gotta love it.
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Dec 30, 2022 at 5:53 PM ]
potential kiss of death for BCB, looks like Grant is starting to ride his nuts... hey Grant, get back to your Lunch Trey love articles and leave Brock alone
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Got to love how humble Brock is:

That's our boy!

Man he looks real small next to Kittle
Kittle isn't regular sized person.

if you've ever been on the sidelines or at camp when they as a group walk by you quickly realize how unusually massive nfl players are.
Share 49ersWebzone