• Veteran
Keep it going rook.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Manning did until he got hurt.

meh, arm was always average

No, he had a good arm. I say slightly above average.
Originally posted by mayo49:

he was no jeff george

Tony Romo comp. Exactly what I was seeing
Originally posted by FrankBullitt:
Yes and Team paid $2M to Nate Sudfeld then cut him for Brock to make the 53!

That was when I knew they saw something in him. After watching the preseason games I felt like they should keep Purdy and cut Sudfeld and they did too obviously
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

he was no jeff george

A brain is a terrible thing to waste.
How the hell did this bloke fall to 262
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by FrankBullitt:
Yes and Team paid $2M to Nate Sudfeld then cut him for Brock to make the 53!

That was when I knew they saw something in him. After watching the preseason games I felt like they should keep Purdy and cut Sudfeld and they did too obviously

He was pretty good in his first game against Green Bay. He showed in that game that he was a good scrambler.
His fade throw for the two points conversion was almost perfect. I was like "Damn, a Niner QB doing a fade throw. And it worked!". By the way, he looks like Christian Bale a little bit.

As for Peyton Manning, he didn´t have a big arm. He could still make all the throws. You don´t have to be John Elway to succeed in the NFL but you still need to hit a certain threshold. Burrow is outstanding and he doesn´t have an elite arm IMHO. But he can still kill you downfield. I think ultimately if you have a good arm and if you are a strong processor of the game, you will win games in NFL specially if you are mobile. I think being mobile is maybe more important than having a rocket arm in modern NFL.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
It's not being negative to point out that he has a weak arm. It's uplifting because it shows how he's managed to be successful in spite of his disability.

We have seen some balls die on him these last few games and we haven't really seen him attempt many difficult throws that would require him to throw with higher velocity.
As to the former, that's simply untrue.

As to the latter: Proof? Cite? Video? TIA.

The one ball that egregiously died on him was when he was getting leveled by a DT. And it still was a touchdown.

Originally posted by pdc20:
He was pretty good in his first game against Green Bay. He showed in that game that he was a good scrambler.
His fade throw for the two points conversion was almost perfect. I was like "Damn, a Niner QB doing a fade throw. And it worked!". By the way, he looks like Christian Bale a little bit.

As for Peyton Manning, he didn´t have a big arm. He could still make all the throws. You don´t have to be John Elway to succeed in the NFL but you still need to hit a certain threshold. Burrow is outstanding and he doesn´t have an elite arm IMHO. But he can still kill you downfield. I think ultimately if you have a good arm and if you are a strong processor of the game, you will win games in NFL specially if you are mobile. I think being mobile is maybe more important than having a rocket arm in modern NFL.

So Joe Montana was a pioneer after all. Being quick in the pocket and being able to get out of trouble to either find another throwing opportunity or to extend plays breathes life into failing protection and keeps offenses on the field and/or opens up big plays downfield
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The one ball that egregiously died on him was when he was getting leveled by a DT. And it still was a touchdown.

Yea he made the right call and had the balls to deliver
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
And I bet you will always bring up his arm strength every chance you get!

At least until another 'shortcoming' shows itself. That's the worst thing you can hang on Purdy at this point. He doesn't have elite arm strength, elite speed, or ideal size for the position. None of it is necessary.

his 95 percentile 10 yard split begs to differ

Elite speed, elite arm strength, incoming claim about elite height, 4 year starter. How did he drop to the 7th round?

Part of why he dropped was things like this:

So it wasn't something like "he has Chad Pennington's arm." He had a really good sophomore season and then kind of stagnated. He was always accurate, but no, he didn't showcase a howitzer. But he certainly was capable of making every throw. His delivery wasn't particularly fast. Why he fell that hard could do with things beyond him as well, such as the needs of other teams, or teams thinking they could sneak him in as an UDFA, since he was projecting as a 3rd or 2nd string QB. You don't see lots of QBs drafted after round 3 who don't have tremendous physical ability (beyond merely short area quickness).
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 31, 2022 at 6:11 AM ]
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
So Joe Montana was a pioneer after all. Being quick in the pocket and being able to get out of trouble to either find another throwing opportunity or to extend plays breathes life into failing protection and keeps offenses on the field and/or opens up big plays downfield

Bill Walsh ideally wanted QBs that had nimble feets to execute the WCO IIRC.
I think it´s also the reason they didn´t draft Tom Brady.
Joe was an athlete, agile, not as fast as Steve but still great scrambler. He would have been even better in modern NFL IMHO.

The ability to extend plays today is really important. Sure people will talk about Brady but he is the outlier of the outliers.
That´s what I like with Purdy. He has the quickness and the instincts to avoid the pressure and it feels natural when he throws on the run. This offense doesn´t need a running QB. It needs someone being able to be extend the play if everything goes wrong on pass situations.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
potential kiss of death for BCB, looks like Grant is starting to ride his nuts... hey Grant, get back to your Lunch Trey love articles and leave Brock alone

Cohn's been on his nuts for weeks actually. He said he didn't think the 49ers could win the Super Bowl all year, and then as soon as Brock took over has been saying they could, precisely because of Brock.
Share 49ersWebzone