There are 199 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Interesting - Brock Purdy is the first Mr Irrelevant ever to throw a TD pass and he is also going to be the first Mr Irrelevant to start an NFL game. lol kinda wild
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I don't care what anyone says, this is the one team that's built to win the SB with a rookie QB.

I'd argue that the 2000 Ravens would have something to say about that. haha all jokes aside, If he can play mistake free football and keep the chains moving, we have a chance. He seems to have a ton of poise and that helps keep the rest of the team calm and confident.
To win the division, we'd need to win 2 games (including the SEA game) or 3 games (excluding the SEA game). To make the playoffs, it'll probably take 9 wins (one more win, but definitely 2 wins will do it).

Brock remains an unknown for now. So was Mullens. We should have a little advantage on that front for the first few games. And the ARI game at the end of ten season should be a winnable game.
I've seen many backup QBs come into games and look good. Sometimes that continues for 3 or 4 games. We saw it in Dallas this year. The Jets backup looks better than Wilson. Purdy looked confident and capable yesterday so I'm hoping he can take thus team to the playoffs.

Kyle's offense is designed to be QB friendly as long as the player grasps the concepts. It doesn't require the QB to make a lot of big plays for the offense to be successful. Purdy's skill set looks similar to Jimmy's with the exception that he moves better. We'll have to see if he can play as well as he did yesterday and keep our fingers crossed that he doesn't get hurt. Josh Johnson is now the backup. His performance yesterday was about what we get from Jimmy every week.
Brock Purdy looks like he is Bosa's cousin or something. haha
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I don't care what anyone says, this is the one team that's built to win the SB with a rookie QB.

I'd argue that the 2000 Ravens would have something to say about that. haha all jokes aside, If he can play mistake free football and keep the chains moving, we have a chance. He seems to have a ton of poise and that helps keep the rest of the team calm and confident.

2000 Ravens didn't have to face Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow
Interesting - Brock Purdy is the first Mr Irrelevant ever to throw a TD pass and he is also going to be the first Mr Irrelevant to start an NFL game. lol kinda wild

Number 6, here we come!

Made for the movies!

Tbh, my first thought after Jimmy was carted off the sideline was that this season was over. But after watching the rest of the game, I have a lot more confidence that we can still be competitive even without Jimmy.

The first thing I noticed about Purdy is that the game is not too big for him. MIA really threw the heat at him with those blitzes. Purdy made them pay a few times and they started to back off of it.

The second thing is he is no sitting duck in the pocket and is willing to extend plays with his legs. He also throws well when on the move.

The last thing was he played very well on 3rd down which is too me one of the biggest factors in winning football games. He didn't convert them all but he made several big throws on key drives to keep the chains moving. Even threading the needle on a couple over the middle.

Obviously his experience is very limited and playoffs are a completely different beast. But I am not ready to hit the panic button just yet. Lets see if he can grow a little more over the next 5 weeks and see if he can do enough to give us something to keep cheering about come January.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cortana49:

Number 6, here we come!

Made for the movies!

Right. I hope it's a Netflix instead of Disney.
Originally posted by titan:
Right. I hope it's a Netflix instead of Disney.
I don't honestly believe this, BUT, wow, it would be pretty special.

Will be interesting to see how he does after taking all the 1st team reps all week and how Shanahan tailors a game plan for him rather than Jimmy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HL9ZuKKSwXw

For questions about his arm strength it looks slightly weaker than Jimmys but he has adequate arm strength to do what we need him to and plenty in the KS offense. It seems his range is 40-50 yards and that's plenty.

we never bomb it 70 yards anyway. If he can launch it 40 yards down and let the receivers do the rest that's good enough
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Will be interesting to see how he does after taking all the 1st team reps all week and how Shanahan tailors a game plan for him rather than Jimmy.

i think we will be ok a lot harder to win the SB but we have a lot of weapons and i think they will be some issues going through reads so it will all be about simplifying the offense a bit

He did do a good job on a lot of these throws especially against the blitno deer in the headlights which is huge. He did miss some open guys though that will show up on film ( i was at the game) but overall it was a good start
  • thl408
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Tbh, my first thought after Jimmy was carted off the sideline was that this season was over. But after watching the rest of the game, I have a lot more confidence that we can still be competitive even without Jimmy.

The first thing I noticed about Purdy is that the game is not too big for him. MIA really threw the heat at him with those blitzes. Purdy made them pay a few times and they started to back off of it.

The second thing is he is no sitting duck in the pocket and is willing to extend plays with his legs. He also throws well when on the move.

The last thing was he played very well on 3rd down which is too me one of the biggest factors in winning football games. He didn't convert them all but he made several big throws on key drives to keep the chains moving. Even threading the needle on a couple over the middle.

Obviously his experience is very limited and playoffs are a completely different beast. But I am not ready to hit the panic button just yet. Lets see if he can grow a little more over the next 5 weeks and see if he can do enough to give us something to keep cheering about come January.

I like his mobility, which allows him to go off schedule a bit, and his willingness to throw into tight windows with no hesitation. He did that a number of times.

He actually has a bit too much gunslinger in him as evidenced by him throwing across his body, into the middle of the field - a big no no. Luckily it ended up in a defensive PI.

I need to see Brock suck in order to throw in the towel on the season and I didn't see that yesterday. He can game manage his way to some wins so that should be the winning formula going forward.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Does Purdy have a stronger arm than Jimmy?
Share 49ersWebzone