There are 244 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I don't care what anyone says, this is the one team that's built to win the SB with a rookie QB.

I'd argue that the 2000 Ravens would have something to say about that. haha all jokes aside, If he can play mistake free football and keep the chains moving, we have a chance. He seems to have a ton of poise and that helps keep the rest of the team calm and confident.

2000 Ravens didn't have to face Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow

I was thinking oh Eli wasn't that bad. I mean he upped the GOAT 2x. But it was Kerry Collins. That's like a Ryan Tannehill yeah?
Originally posted by JMC52:
Does Purdy have a stronger arm than Jimmy?

Doesn't look like it. Release speed and arm strength are the two characteristics Jimmy has more of…
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Tbh, my first thought after Jimmy was carted off the sideline was that this season was over. But after watching the rest of the game, I have a lot more confidence that we can still be competitive even without Jimmy.

The first thing I noticed about Purdy is that the game is not too big for him. MIA really threw the heat at him with those blitzes. Purdy made them pay a few times and they started to back off of it.

The second thing is he is no sitting duck in the pocket and is willing to extend plays with his legs. He also throws well when on the move.

The last thing was he played very well on 3rd down which is too me one of the biggest factors in winning football games. He didn't convert them all but he made several big throws on key drives to keep the chains moving. Even threading the needle on a couple over the middle.

Obviously his experience is very limited and playoffs are a completely different beast. But I am not ready to hit the panic button just yet. Lets see if he can grow a little more over the next 5 weeks and see if he can do enough to give us something to keep cheering about come January.

I like his mobility, which allows him to go off schedule a bit, and his willingness to throw into tight windows with no hesitation. He did that a number of times.

He actually has a bit too much gunslinger in him as evidenced by him throwing across his body, into the middle of the field - a big no no. Luckily it ended up in a defensive PI.

I need to see Brock suck in order to throw in the towel on the season and I didn't see that yesterday. He can game manage his way to some wins so that should be the winning formula going forward.

I agree. No need to force things. Especially if the defense keeps playing the way it has. I would also like to see Kyle go back to leaning on the run game a little more. I would like to see Mason get a bigger dose of the carries going forward.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Doesn't look like it. Release speed and arm strength are the two characteristics Jimmy has more of…

Nope purdy has a range of about 40 yrds but he's fairly accurate. I woke up watching his old YouTube videos and he's doing the same thing he did in college and preseason. He works the middle well and evades the rush and throws a fairly accurate pass. And I think he has the best spiral out of the bunch if that matters at all. He's got some wheels too.

it's a bad situation but it's the best we can actually ask for in a no.3 qb. It's like that meme so your telling me there's a chance

That's probably true, but it doesn't seem by much IMHO, especially in the former. Brock seems to have that same talent of super fast release while not set. He brings more mobility, but Jimmy brings more experience and arm strength (based on pre-season stuff on Brock).

We'll see how well Brock's four years starting serve him in the coming weeks when teams start planning for him. Hopefully his calm under pressure and skill at going through progressions is no clever ruse. And hopefully he'll get better at understanding what's going on around him more so he won't fail to see the open guy (not that he's terrible at it).
No rookie QB has ever won SB. But the law of averages says that at some point it will happen. This 49ers team is built to do it, to make history. I may be a homer on this, but so what. I really think this team can do it. The tools around Purdy is just too good. The defense is too good. The coach is too good. I think we can still get this done.
Originally posted by 49erKing:
I don't care what anyone says, this is the one team that's built to win the SB with a rookie QB.

I'd argue that the 2000 Ravens would have something to say about that. haha all jokes aside, If he can play mistake free football and keep the chains moving, we have a chance. He seems to have a ton of poise and that helps keep the rest of the team calm and confident.

I was thinking oh Eli wasn't that bad. I mean he upped the GOAT 2x. But it was Kerry Collins. That's like a Ryan Tannehill yeah?

Collins competed 58% of his passes that season.
Originally posted by 49erKing:

I suppose that is a fair comparison career trajectory wise, but those two players had pretty different playing styles.
Guys we have zero chance of getting to and winning the SB. Im gonna go ahead and say that with certainty right now. 0.00% chance.

we can however hopefully get in to the playoffs and take one focused swing at a contender and ruin their season too. Im good with that. I want the cowboys. I wanna send them home.

it's like telling people there is no Santa. It's brutal and hard but we gotta accept it
[ Edited by Jubwub88 on Dec 5, 2022 at 7:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
Guys we have zero chance of getting to and winning the SB. Im gonna go ahead and say that with certainty right now. 0.00% chance.

we can however hopefully get in to the playoffs and take one focused swing at a contender and ruin their season too. Im good with that. I want the cowboys. I wanna send them home

idk if a Rookie QB playing the Cowboys defense in the playoffs is a good idea. haha.

Brock's little brother Chubba Purdy was a top high school prospect in the country. He never started at FSU for some reason and now he is at Nebraska; started one game for them this season.
You guys remember that guy chad Pennington? And there is another guy Vinny testeverde that I vaguely remember. They were kinda noodle armed but average accurate players. He kinda reminds me of them.

Jimmy G if you hate him or not had the bare minimum that would put him in the average to above average qb tier. His deep ball was bad but theoretically he could pass it 60ish yards in the air. I'd say jimmy had an adequate arm. And he was fairly accurate this season. Huge loss for us.

Jimmy's arm may be stronger but doesn't seem to help him on deep throws. Purdy looks like he gets rid of the ball fairly quickly and he was making some throws into tight windows yesterday.
That POS on the dolphins ruined a Super Bowl season. Fcking hate that guy. Fck the dolphins
Originally posted by Jubwub88:

we can however hopefully get in to the playoffs and take one focused swing at a contender and ruin their season too. Im good with that. I want the cowboys. I wanna send them home.

it's like telling people there is no Santa. It's brutal and hard but we gotta accept it

I would love nothing better than to send the Cowboys packing. THAT will be my high expectation for this year.
Share 49ersWebzone