There are 194 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
From an article in the newsfeed.

"He was a two-time First Team All-Big 12 choice, started 46 games for the Cyclones and threw 81 touchdowns while rushing for 19 more."

"He was named the Gatorade Arizona boys football player of the year in 2017 out of Perry High School".

Experience matters, also love how fired up he was after his TDs. I think it showed a lot of confidence and grit. Let's go Brock. !!
My first impression was I have no issue with him as a spot starter back up.

He has balls. That's big believe it or not. His size and arm strength are probably why he fell because he definitely reads a defense. That's being said his arm strength seemed good because he has anticipation for a route. He must be accurate as well.

Thinking ahead it's fairly simple imo. Teams are going to tell Kyle: Make Purdy beat us. So....How do we scheme that and can he do it.
Let's go Brock, we're behind you!
There is, of course, more to the game than physical attributes, but ask yourself this: Physically, what can Jimmy do that Purdy can't? Jimmy's arm is a little stronger and his release is a bit quicker. He's also an inch or so taller.

Anything else?

If Purdy minimizes the mistakes and throws the ball where Kyle asks, we should still put together a few wins and secure a playoff spot. From there, it's all gravy. That's the case every year. You just need to get to the dance.

The Bucs are up next. And they lost to PJ Walker. We can win that game.
Originally posted by BYisGod:
There is, of course, more to the game than physical attributes, but ask yourself this: Physically, what can Jimmy do that Purdy can't? Jimmy's arm is a little stronger and his release is a bit quicker. He's also an inch or so taller.

Anything else?

If Purdy minimizes the mistakes and throws the ball where Kyle asks, we should still put together a few wins and secure a playoff spot. From there, it's all gravy. That's the case every year. You just need to get to the dance.

Purdy is more mobile which should help him buy time on occasion. That may have been Jimmy's biggest physical weakness. I saw at least 2 plays yesterday where Purdy escaped a pass rush that probably would have resulted in a sack for Jimmy.
Breaking news. Mayfield might be available. We gotta put in a claim. He can backup purdy or
maybe he can even be a game manager for us
Originally posted by BYisGod:

Anything else?

Agree, it's not like we are Buffalo and lost Josh Allen. In Purdy's first start I saw nothing but confidence. Moment was nowhere near too big for him. His first 'start' was better than Lance's. Granted, it's his first start, but I was really impressed.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Tbh, my first thought after Jimmy was carted off the sideline was that this season was over. But after watching the rest of the game, I have a lot more confidence that we can still be competitive even without Jimmy.

The first thing I noticed about Purdy is that the game is not too big for him. MIA really threw the heat at him with those blitzes. Purdy made them pay a few times and they started to back off of it.

The second thing is he is no sitting duck in the pocket and is willing to extend plays with his legs. He also throws well when on the move.

The last thing was he played very well on 3rd down which is too me one of the biggest factors in winning football games. He didn't convert them all but he made several big throws on key drives to keep the chains moving. Even threading the needle on a couple over the middle.

Obviously his experience is very limited and playoffs are a completely different beast. But I am not ready to hit the panic button just yet. Lets see if he can grow a little more over the next 5 weeks and see if he can do enough to give us something to keep cheering about come January.

Good post.

Purdy has played a lot more football than most rookies coming into the league, certainly a lot more than Trey Lance. I didn't see much difference in the plays KS was calling after Jimmy went out.

Miami's defense is pretty good. They don't get as much press as the offense but they are good.
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
Breaking news. Mayfield might be available. We gotta put in a claim. He can backup purdy or

No thanks, I'll pass on that. Mayfield is another one of those QBs that just seems to have a toxic personality, Plus Bosa probably hates him.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
No thanks, I'll pass on that. Mayfield is another one of those QBs that just seems to have a toxic personality, Plus Bosa probably hates him.

imagine practices where Bosa goes full steam and injures Mayfield on principle

Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by Jubwub88:

At this point in the season what have we got to lose? Your a Super Bowl roster without a qb. At least let him ride the bench. He's much better than Josh Johnson who they must signed. He sucks but he did have somthing to
be drafted no. 1 or whatever he was
[ Edited by Jubwub88 on Dec 5, 2022 at 8:03 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Tbh, my first thought after Jimmy was carted off the sideline was that this season was over. But after watching the rest of the game, I have a lot more confidence that we can still be competitive even without Jimmy.

The first thing I noticed about Purdy is that the game is not too big for him. MIA really threw the heat at him with those blitzes. Purdy made them pay a few times and they started to back off of it.

The second thing is he is no sitting duck in the pocket and is willing to extend plays with his legs. He also throws well when on the move.

The last thing was he played very well on 3rd down which is too me one of the biggest factors in winning football games. He didn't convert them all but he made several big throws on key drives to keep the chains moving. Even threading the needle on a couple over the middle.

Obviously his experience is very limited and playoffs are a completely different beast. But I am not ready to hit the panic button just yet. Lets see if he can grow a little more over the next 5 weeks and see if he can do enough to give us something to keep cheering about come January.

Good post.

Purdy has played a lot more football than most rookies coming into the league, certainly a lot more than Trey Lance. I didn't see much difference in the plays KS was calling after Jimmy went out.

Miami's defense is pretty good. They don't get as much press as the offense but they are good.

MIA's defense is good at stopping the run (10th). They have 1 really good corner and some pass rushers but were ranked 22nd in pass defense overall and ranked 28th in redzone efficiency. We still have to face the 5th ranked pass defense (TB) and the 9th ranked pass defense (WAS). Should be a good test for the young man. Hopefully we lean more on the run game going forward though. I would like to see a heavy dose of Mason who is averaging 5.4 yards per carry.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Mayfield behind Purdy would be a big distraction. Don't need it. We need to just go all in on Purdy and give him all the support he needs to make this work. LFG.
Originally posted by kray28:
Mayfield behind Purdy would be a big distraction. Don't need it. We need to just go all in on Purdy and give him all the support he needs to make this work. LFG.

Pretty much this is it.
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by kray28:

Pretty much this is it.

No it isn't.
Share 49ersWebzone