There are 199 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Kyle needs to revisit the run game if he wants to help Purdy.

The run game has been very hit or miss. Defenses will dare the 49ers to throw it with a rookie QB.

In all fairness they're down to the 3rd string RB. I don't consider CMC as a pure RB since he 's used all over. Mitchell was their best pure RB and he's gone until the playoffs.

CMC is a third stringer? Or are you saying that Eli is #1, Jeff Wilson is #2, and CMC is not a runningback?
I feel like we can certainly win with Purdy. In terms of velocity and ball placement, I think he's very similar to Mac Jones. He can place it quite well, even if he doesn't have the strongest arm. He is more mobile than Mac though, and might take a few more chances, but just on the small sample size, since that's all we've got right now, I feel like he's got the tools to play solid within our system.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
We'll see how Brock looks going forward but I don't think there's a huge drop off from Jimmy.

He sure wasn't yesterday.

Nick Mullens looked good in his first start as well. Prudy looked good yesterday. I hope he can keep it up, but I am not very confidence about that.

Mullens vs a bad Raiders team
Purdy vs a top 5 potential playoff team

🤔
Jaguars fans were excited on Minchew at one point. Same for Panthers fans on Kyle Allen. Same for Niners fans on Nick Mullens.

Not sure if Purdy will be anything more than a good back up QB in his career. To say there is not much of a drop off between Purdy and Jimmy G after one game is simply insane. I certainly hope I am wrong.
Defenses are gonna sell out to stop runs and short passing

They will mix in blitzes as well to see if he gets frazzled

Hit the quick medium routes (JG hot zone) and take a few deep shots (Grey gets to be active?)

21+pts is what we need to grind out per game

Probably gonna look like the Harbaugh years the next few games
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I feel like we can certainly win with Purdy. In terms of velocity and ball placement, I think he's very similar to Mac Jones. He can place it quite well, even if he doesn't have the strongest arm. He is more mobile than Mac though, and might take a few more chances, but just on the small sample size, since that's all we've got right now, I feel like he's got the tools to play solid within our system.

He looks really good on his College highlights on YouTube. Throwing with decent velocity and accuracy too. He looks better than where he was picked honestly. If you look at his College highlights and yesterday too. There is some arm talent and accuracy there. I think he feel for not being that big. Not being tall. But he was a multi year starter and you do see accuracy if you look at his highlights or yesterday for that matter.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'm with you! He showed me a ton yesterday coming into that situation against a team competing for the #1 seed in the AFC. Let's see how he does with a week practicing with the 1s and a gameplan tailored to his strengths. We are still going to make the playoffs. Once we're in the playoffs, can he at least replicate the #s Jimmy put up in the playoffs? That shouldn't be hard. Keep this thing rolling!!!
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
We'll see how Brock looks going forward but I don't think there's a huge drop off from Jimmy.

He sure wasn't yesterday.

Nick Mullens looked good in his first start as well. Prudy looked good yesterday. I hope he can keep it up, but I am not very confidence about that.

Mullens vs a bad Raiders team
Purdy vs a top 5 potential playoff team

🤔

The Dolphins is a very good team that has perhaps the most explosive offense on the NFL right now. Their defense is below average.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Dec 5, 2022 at 10:33 AM ]
Jaguars fans were excited on Minchew at one point. Same for Panthers fans on Kyle Allen. Same for Niners fans on Nick Mullens.

Not sure if Purdy will be anything more than a good back up QB in his career. To say there is not much of a drop off between Purdy and Jimmy G after one game is simply insane. I certainly hope I am wrong.

It's a big drop off in experience, reading the defense, calling audibles, managing the team. Accuracy is a little more with Jimmy G too. I think they are kidding themselves. But I hope for the best.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

Hit the quick medium routes (JG hot zone) and take a few deep shots (Grey gets to be active?)

They've been doing that all season.

Gotta love WZ. We had a great win yesterday with a surprise showing from Mr Irrelevant - who arguably probably played better than Jimmy G would have. And everyone is saying the season is over. Think about these things…

The moment was not too big for him. He was a starter in college and has loads more experience than Trey.

He came in and orchestrated two drives leading to touchdowns before the half - notably two throws to CMC that were right on the money (first one was dropped). The second was one was thrown to CMC before he even turned around! Look at that timing!

He was elusive in and out the pocket and extended plays - when does Jimmy do this?

He came in and did what needed to be done to win the game.

Also - Kyle believed in him enough to keep throwing the ball. Otherwise we keep trying to run the ball unsuccessfully.

Now it's Kyle's job to prep him vs the Tampa defense and coach him to not be a hero and just take it one play at a time.

You guys need to relax and enjoy the ride. As long as defense does its job and Big C-ck Brock doesn't try to play hero ball…we might be okay. We might get into the playoffs and then let's f-ing ride.
[ Edited by kdoggie on Dec 5, 2022 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by kdoggie:
Gotta love WZ. We had a great win yesterday with a surprise showing from Mr Irrelevant - who arguably probably played better than Jimmy G would have. And everyone is saying the season is over. Think about these things…

The moment was not too big for him. He was a starter in college and has loads more experience than Trey.

He came in and orchestrated two drives leading to touchdowns before the half - notably two throws to CMC that were right on the money (first one was dropped). The second was one was thrown to CMC before he even turned around! Look at that timing!

He was elusive in and out the pocket and extended plays - when does Jimmy do this?

Now it's Kyle's job to prep him vs the Tampa defense and coach him to not be a hero and just take it one play at a time.

You guys need to relax and enjoy the ride. As long as defense does its job and Big C-ck Brock doesn't try to play hero ball…we might be okay. We might get into the playoffs and then let's f-ing ride.

Come on he's not in the same league as Jimmy G. But he played well for 1 game. Honestly he has more starting experience than Trey from College and is further ahead in the mental aspect of the game. I hope he can do well. But there will likely be some drop off here.

Most understand he's a rookie and was the very last pick for a reason. He played very well but one game means little. If he can continually play like this we will be fine but to act like it's all going to be peaches and cream with a 7th round rookie is pretty hopeful.

i believe
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

They've been doing that all season.

Yeah its not like teams were scared of JG passing the ball beyond 10 yards. They knew they had to stop the run and stop anything short.
Share 49ersWebzone