There are 174 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kdoggie:
Gotta love WZ. We had a great win yesterday with a surprise showing from Mr Irrelevant - who arguably probably played better than Jimmy G would have. And everyone is saying the season is over. Think about these things…

The moment was not too big for him. He was a starter in college and has loads more experience than Trey.

He came in and orchestrated two drives leading to touchdowns before the half - notably two throws to CMC that were right on the money (first one was dropped). The second was one was thrown to CMC before he even turned around! Look at that timing!

He was elusive in and out the pocket and extended plays - when does Jimmy do this?

He came in and did what needed to be done to win the game.

Also - Kyle believed in him enough to keep throwing the ball. Otherwise we keep trying to run the ball unsuccessfully.

Now it's Kyle's job to prep him vs the Tampa defense and coach him to not be a hero and just take it one play at a time.

You guys need to relax and enjoy the ride. As long as defense does its job and Big C-ck Brock doesn't try to play hero ball…we might be okay. We might get into the playoffs and then let's f-ing ride.

I think we'll be fine. But I'm certainly not overreacting.

This happens all the time in the NFL. Mike White looked great for the Jets for one game also.

Next couple of games will be the real test.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Defenses are gonna sell out to stop runs and short passing

They will mix in blitzes as well to see if he gets frazzled

Hit the quick medium routes (JG hot zone) and take a few deep shots (Grey gets to be active?)

21+pts is what we need to grind out per game

Probably gonna look like the Harbaugh years the next few games

They've been doing that all season.

Yeah its not like teams were scared of JG passing the ball beyond 10 yards. They knew they had to stop the run and stop anything short.

And failed to do so.
Oh no. I fully expect a drop off next game vs Tampa defense. And if he plays well enough to win…great!

If not…well let's see how the next game goes.

As long as THE TEAM spanks Seattle's ass in Seattle - we will win the division.
Originally posted by ItsX4Number6:
Most understand he's a rookie and was the very last pick for a reason. He played very well but one game means little. If he can continually play like this we will be fine but to act like it's all going to be peaches and cream with a 7th round rookie is pretty hopeful.

draft position means nothing once a guy's made the NFL. we've seen plenty of NFL greats born out of UDFAs.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Jaguars fans were excited on Minchew at one point. Same for Panthers fans on Kyle Allen. Same for Niners fans on Nick Mullens.

Not sure if Purdy will be anything more than a good back up QB in his career. To say there is not much of a drop off between Purdy and Jimmy G after one game is simply insane. I certainly hope I am wrong.

It's a big drop off in experience, reading the defense, calling audibles, managing the team. Accuracy is a little more with Jimmy G too. I think they are kidding themselves. But I hope for the best.

Sure it's a big drop in experience but he brings something to the game that JG doesn't have. Mobility. I think he's about the same as Jimmy as far as accuracy goes and he's not much slower in his release. He's smaller so he'll probably need to roll out more but he was a good player in college. If he was 3 or 4 inches taller he probably would have been picked somewhere in rounds 3-5. Kyle saw enough to keep him over Nate Sudfeld who had more experience in the Niners camp.

At any rate, he's what we have now so all we can do is watch and hope. Jimmy taking the team to the SB would have been a great story after the off season he had. Purdy taking them to the SB would be a movie.
If Trey came in for jimmy in that game and played like Purdy we would be thinking we are Super Bowl bound
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Defenses are gonna sell out to stop runs and short passing

They will mix in blitzes as well to see if he gets frazzled

Hit the quick medium routes (JG hot zone) and take a few deep shots (Grey gets to be active?)

21+pts is what we need to grind out per game

Probably gonna look like the Harbaugh years the next few games

They've been doing that all season.

LOL.

But yeah, Purdy does have a similar skillset to Jimmy, but obviously without the 9 years of experience.
The gameplan should remain the same, but yeah, they're going to really try and test Purdy.
Purdy is not a 4th or 5th rd pick, he is the last pick. Just lucky that the Dolphins were a little taken aback, and didn't know how to adjust once Jimmy G. went down. He played well, what else can you ask for.
Tampa Bay will prepare for him, and once again, it all rests on the defense & the running game.

Somehow, at this point, get into the playoffs, that's the first most difficult part. After that, just see how far we can go.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Purdy is not a 4th or 5th rd pick, he is the last pick. Just lucky that the Dolphins were a little taken aback, and didn't know how to adjust once Jimmy G. went down. He played well, what else can you ask for.
Tampa Bay will prepare for him, and once again, it all rests on the defense & the running game.

Somehow, at this point, get into the playoffs, that's the first most difficult part. After that, just see how far we can go.

I doubt they run cover 0 blitzes at him like MIA. They will probably disguise their coverages and try to confuse him post snap.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Dec 5, 2022 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by kdoggie:
Gotta love WZ. We had a great win yesterday with a surprise showing from Mr Irrelevant - who arguably probably played better than Jimmy G would have. And everyone is saying the season is over. Think about these things…

The moment was not too big for him. He was a starter in college and has loads more experience than Trey.

He came in and orchestrated two drives leading to touchdowns before the half - notably two throws to CMC that were right on the money (first one was dropped). The second was one was thrown to CMC before he even turned around! Look at that timing!

He was elusive in and out the pocket and extended plays - when does Jimmy do this?

He came in and did what needed to be done to win the game.

Also - Kyle believed in him enough to keep throwing the ball. Otherwise we keep trying to run the ball unsuccessfully.

Now it's Kyle's job to prep him vs the Tampa defense and coach him to not be a hero and just take it one play at a time.

You guys need to relax and enjoy the ride. As long as defense does its job and Big C-ck Brock doesn't try to play hero ball…we might be okay. We might get into the playoffs and then let's f-ing ride.

I think we'll be fine. But I'm certainly not overreacting.

This happens all the time in the NFL. Mike White looked great for the Jets for one game also.

Next couple of games will be the real test.

I dont even wanna respond to people like kdoggie but the logic is so flawed i feel i have to.
We lost 2 starters behind a shakey OL and you think somehow purdy might be immune to this?
Also if you watched football for more than 1 month at a time you know somtimes players can play will for 1 game but doesnt mean they are the next tom brady.

The roster is superbowl worthy. you gotta try all things

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This pass was so filthy. Pressure in his face and he let it rip and put it on a dime. Good Brock Purdy is very good.

Hopefully Bad Brock Purdy stayed at Iowa State.

Oh no.
In 4 years of college this video is telling us he had a couple knucklehead plays?

No way.
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
I dont even wanna respond to people like kdoggie but the logic is so flawed i feel i have to.
We lost 2 starters behind a shakey OL and you think somehow purdy might be immune to this?
Also if you watched football for more than 1 month at a time you know somtimes players can play will for 1 game but doesnt mean they are the next tom brady.

The roster is superbowl worthy. you gotta try all things

Dude I'm not saying Purdy is the GOAT reincarnate. My post was more to address the overall "woe is me" attitude 75% of posters have.

Our season may be in the damn toilet. We might lose every game going forward and miss the playoffs. That likely could happen. And then what - so you guys can say "See? I told you so!" Get outta here with that thinking.

It's one game. But look at what he was able to do. He handed off the ball and made passes and threw one pick that was essentially a punt. Let's see what he does against Tampa and then reassess.

Yea he was the last pick. Cool. Let's get past that bc he's our damn starting QB now. Let's ride.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 49ersking:

I doubt they run cover 0 blitzes at him like MIA. They will probably disguise their coverages and try to confuse him post snap.

True, he hasn't seen much of NFL defenses. The only silver lining is that he played for all 4 years, so there is some experience. Surprisingly, fans seem to be more positive about Purdy than Lance. That's the NFL I suppose.
Let's see who else the 49ers sign this week.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
If Trey came in for jimmy in that game and played like Purdy we would be thinking we are Super Bowl bound

Exactly.
Share 49ersWebzone