There are 186 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

brock era...lehs ride!

Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
If Trey came in for jimmy in that game and played like Purdy we would be thinking we are Super Bowl bound

Exactly.

It would be way over the top, mercy
Originally posted by Crown:
Oh no.
In 4 years of college this video is telling us he had a couple knucklehead plays?

No way.

Its more than that, he had a Jekyll and Hyde thing going in college where he could make some of the most impressive plays look easy but then also turn around and make the most boneheaded play possible right afterwards.

One point in his favor is that the Cyclones offense absolutely cratered this season without him and Breece Hall. The OC for much of his time there ended up getting canned a few days ago. You can't really say that he ever received quality coaching before so having Griese in his ear and Shanahan dialing up plays for him might be what he needs to stay out of the "what the f**k was that?" play column.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
brock era...lehs ride!

If Trey came in for jimmy in that game and played like Purdy we would be thinking we are Super Bowl bound

Exactly.

I doubt it. The thing is Purdy has put up better numbers in one game than Trey has. Miami was a bigger win than Texas was. From what I have seen Purdy is performing better than Trey has so far. Maybe that will change when Trey is better but on what I have seen so far Purdy is better than Trey.

Exactly.

This
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
brock era...lehs ride!

lol exactly who I was imitating
Originally posted by Goatie:

Exactly.

I doubt it. The thing is Purdy has put up better numbers in one game than Trey has. Miami was a bigger win than Texas was. From what I have seen Purdy is performing better than Trey has so far. Maybe that will change when Trey is better but on what I have seen so far Purdy is better than Trey.

We don't have to wait too long, Bucs are coming to town, and they have #1 passing defense, and #12 or some rushing defense. It's not like the Jaguars or Panthers, and we are left still wondering after the game, was it the bad team or was it this or that.
If he has Jimmy G. like numbers, they he will continue as the starter for the rest of the season.
At this point, hope.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
I dont see it. Cousins is far more talented and accurate on intermediate and long throws.
Purdy finds ways to get first downs in all kinds of ways while under pressure, where Cousins is the opposite. When play is not working, hes got nothing to offer. But Cousins is a superior QB from throwing point of view, not even a conversation.

Agree and if Brock had the stronger arm and deep ball, he wouldn't have been drafted so late. I did watch some college highlights and he can throw it deep. However, you don't need to in Shanny's offense just like Jimmy never had to. Just don't turn it over.

Hate to say it but he did look better out there vs. when Trey was out there. Hopefully Trey will still develop into something big, but feel a little more comfortable with Brock in the driver's seat.

Was our lineup identical? Did Trey have CMC? Was Trent out? etc..

Can't compare. Not fair. Let's stop riding Trey. Geeze. We have seen nothing but a few games.

I totally don't get the Trey hate. He was chosen for a reason by someone who understands much more than us. Give the guy a year.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Dec 5, 2022 at 12:01 PM ]

Exactly.

Agreed. Trey has better tools, being taller and stronger arm, but people seem to think it is a given he will put it all together. It isn't.
As they both have shown in limited sample sizes, Purdy has been more impressive.

Subjective as it is… that opinion could change in a week. Hopefully not, though.

You're full of s**t. Niners don't make the playoffs if they lose to the Texans which Trey played a big part in winning. No way was the Miami win a bigger win than that game.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Was our lineup identical? Did Trey have CMC? Was Trent out? etc..

Can't compare. Not fair. Let's stop riding Trey. Geeze. We have seen nothing but a few games.

I totally don't get the Trey hate. He was chosen for a reason by someone who understands much more than us. Give the guy a year.

I don't think it's hate. I think it's who are you more comfortable with. Trey's accuracy wasn't that good, but he's working with a SoCal QB coach per reports to fix this. Hopefully he can get back on track and develop into a star. For now with Brock, Niners country...Let's Ride!!! haha Let Brock cook!
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
I dont even wanna respond to people like kdoggie but the logic is so flawed i feel i have to.
We lost 2 starters behind a shakey OL and you think somehow purdy might be immune to this?
Also if you watched football for more than 1 month at a time you know somtimes players can play will for 1 game but doesnt mean they are the next tom brady.

The roster is superbowl worthy. you gotta try all things

Trey was not lost because the OL failed (on that particular play). And while the OL has been shaky, OLs are shaky league wide. It's one of the benefits of having a mobile QB who can manipulate the pocket. Not a running QB, mind you, but someone who can move around in the pocket and avoid the inevitable incoming defender. Trey wasn't great at this, and Jimmy is average, at best. Brady isn't playing until he is 70 because he takes punishment. Now, will Brock be able to maniupulate the pocket efficiently...eh, we will see.

And what's "try all things"? Purdy is the starting QB going forward. Full stop. You aren't bringing Baker in to start.

The kid looked good yesterday. Is he a one hit wonder? Could be. But you can only base your opinion on his play. And yesterday his play was more than adequate.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I feel like we can certainly win with Purdy. In terms of velocity and ball placement, I think he's very similar to Mac Jones. He can place it quite well, even if he doesn't have the strongest arm. He is more mobile than Mac though, and might take a few more chances, but just on the small sample size, since that's all we've got right now, I feel like he's got the tools to play solid within our system.

He looks really good on his College highlights on YouTube. Throwing with decent velocity and accuracy too. He looks better than where he was picked honestly. If you look at his College highlights and yesterday too. There is some arm talent and accuracy there. I think he feel for not being that big. Not being tall. But he was a multi year starter and you do see accuracy if you look at his highlights or yesterday for that matter.

I mean, obviously we need a larger sample size, but I do like that he performed so well against a torrential zero blitz and while being under tremendous pressure all day, even when Miami didn't blitz. He had to do enough to get ahead and stay ahead against another offensive juggernaut on the other side. He will need help, as he had on sunday. But ideally, he gets better and better.

Mullens never really improved and mainly only beat bad teams. Beathard was the same. We don't know yet what Brock can do over an extended period, but at least we'll see what we have in him.
Share 49ersWebzone