LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 97 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

those practice reps showed yesterday. Keep it going youngin!

2 wins will probably get it done. And both the Bucs and Seahawks will have minimal prep time to scout Purdy.

Yep we win against the Bucs and the Seahawks, that should put us in the Playoffs unless complete disaster strikes afterwards.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

2 wins will probably get it done. And both the Bucs and Seahawks will have minimal prep time to scout Purdy.

Yep we win against the Bucs and the Seahawks, that should put us in the Playoffs unless complete disaster strikes afterwards.

If we beat the Bucs, Seahawks and Commanders, we are 100% in the playoffs. And hosting a playoff game.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Dec 5, 2022 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
"No team has won the Super Bowl with a rookie starting quarterback" but there is Brock Purdy and a championship D and CMC with KS calling the plays, he could get it done, the next 4 games will be telling 🤣

Also I don't think any rookie QB ever had a defense this good and all these offensive weapons available to him so there's still a chance history is changed with Purdy, KS and LYNCH and the team definitely deserves a chance to win the SB after being disappointed last season with Jimmy and in 2019 🤣
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

If we beat the Bucs, Seahawks and Commanders, we are 100% in the playoffs. And hosting a playoff game.

One game at a time, but Brock did impress in pre season and made Sudfield expendable despite a $2M signing bonus. That's not an easy decision to make. Let's give Brock his shot and hope he's more like Kurt Warner than Nick Mullen's.
wow...what Warner said, is ALL WE NEED TO KNOW folks.

KEEP IT ROLLIN!
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Someone misheard me say Brock Purdy and thought I said block party which isn't bad
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
"No team has won the Super Bowl with a rookie starting quarterback" but there is Brock Purdy and a championship D and CMC with KS calling the plays, he could get it done, the next 4 games will be telling 🤣

Also I don't think any rookie QB ever had a defense this good and all these offensive weapons available to him so there's still a chance history is changed with Purdy, KS and LYNCH and the team definitely deserves a chance to win the SB after being disappointed last season with Jimmy and in 2019 🤣

Actually Shaun King did with the Bucs in 1999. I think he was a third string rookie and took the team all the way to the NFCC game and almost pulled off the upset against the Rams, losing 13-6.

key here is the defense has to play lights out and Purdy needs to help the offense score about 20-25 points per game…
Originally posted by DrEll:

Actually Shaun King did with the Bucs in 1999. I think he was a third string rookie and took the team all the way to the NFCC game and almost pulled off the upset against the Rams, losing 13-6.

key here is the defense has to play lights out and Purdy needs to help the offense score about 20-25 points per game…

Pretty much.. but I don't think the Bucs had the offensive weapons the 9ers have right now, so scoring 20-25 pts isn't impossible as long as Purdy doesn't suck and the running game can do well.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Dec 5, 2022 at 2:38 PM ]

Crazy, contrarian thought here. I think our odds of winning the super bowl are higher with Purdy as the starter.

After the 2019 Super Bowl, (1) I was 100% convinced that we could not win a Super Bowl with Garoppolo. So, I supported trading away 3-1st rounders for a QB because of (1) above and (2) this regime is not very good with first rounders anyway (other than Bosa, they whiffed or semi-whiffed on all of them, I think). They are great with other picks, just not first rounders. Whether it worked out or not, who knows, but it was worth the shot, since we did not have a QB on the roster we could win a Super Bowl with.

Fast forward to this season, and despite all the talk from the media that somehow Jimmy had changed and this was a new Jimmy, I did not buy it. Jimmy has played well in stretches but when the games piled up and the pressure built up, eventually Bad Jimmy would inevitably show up. So, at no point did I believe we could win the Super Bowl this year. I thought our floor with Jimmy was likely a wild card. The base case (most likely) was to win the division and make the playoffs and lose in the Divisional or NFC Championship. I thought the ceiling was another Super Bowl appearance and loss. I never believed that this team could under any circumstances win the Super Bowls this year with Jimmy at the helm.

Now with Purdy, I think the first two scenarios end up a weighted a bit down, but the third actually improves. He's a rookie, so inexperience will be a factor as will growing pains. But Purdy plays with a crazy amount of confidence and smarts and is more mobile that Garoppolo. He also brings that naivete that "anything is possible" that can be infectious for a Super Bowl primed team. Purdy is smart, super coachable. Shanahan will game plan him safe throws to that stacked group of skill position players. The run game will take the pressure off him somewhat. And that defense will make games winnable.

I think the floor now is lower, much lower, as in its now possible that we dont make the playoffs. As much as I like Purdy, this is the reality we face with a rookie that we don't know how we will respond down the stretch. I think the base case is now make the playoffs as wild card. Also, lower that Jimmy scenario. But I think the ceiling for this season has now been raised. I think we have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl than we did a week ago. We don't know what Purdy is capable of, and neither does the rest of the league.
I'm rewatching the preseason game vs the Packers.

Purdy enters in the 4th qtr, Niners down by 1.

Dude extended drives, kept plays alive, threw a TD, AND threw a back shoulder pass for the 2pt conversion. All while looking super calm and in control. Entire sideline was fired up.

Niners may have a diamond in the rough.
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Dec 5, 2022 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

The other possibility...
[ Edited by mattster03 on Dec 5, 2022 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by mattster03:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

The other possibility...

The best part about this was that he still almost got the first down when he took it himself
Share 49ersWebzone