LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 125 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I sat and rewatched all of Purdy's drives on the full broadcast, i.e. not just the condensed game. I don't pretend that I am a schematics expert, I just wanted to get a more quiet look at him without being anxious about the outcome of the match.

What I really liked is that he seems fearless, that he has good pocket presence and -barring the time when he backed into the passrush- reasonable ability to make plays on the run. He looked quite unflappable against hard pressure, though credit must be given to the OL which did a reasonable job all things considering. His vision looks good - I couldn't quite make out which read he threw to and how he went through his progressions (I will wait for the experts to analyse the All-22 for that), but I liked how he seemed to find the hot route consistently under pressure.

Where I am not so sure (but I am happy to be proven wrong down the line) is his ability to make the medium and deep throws; he did have a couple of impressive throws to the middle yesterday, but the outside the numbers, over-the-shoulder throws were not in evidence yesterday - not that they should have been, the playcalling was what it was, and in fact was quite impressive. But it remains to be seen whether he can throw his receivers open rather than just manage to find the open man. He also seems really undersized for an NFL QB, and notwithstanding Wilson in Seattle, this is not usually a recipe for success.

For a rookie being thrown in a game 7-3 down this was quite an impressive outing, especially considering he was asked to throw 30-odd times, though he was greatly helped in the 2nd half by short fields resulting from turnovers. The best quality so far seems to be his cool headedness and unflappability in the face of pressure; that will help get some success, considering all the weapons our O has - he just needs to be cool and try to find the open man. I am less confident though that he can put the team on his shoulders and carry it to victory in the way that a veteran like Jimmy has done in the past (e.g. vs Rams last year or Saints in 2019).

I wish him the best, both for his sake and ours as fans, but I am not super confident. I think we'll make the playoffs and perhaps win a game, but that is the limit of our possibilities I'm afraid.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
He's got the hand size

Here's the webzone link on his combine stats now that you got peeps wondering if you can call him BDP

https://www.49erswebzone.com/news/amp-157940/
Originally posted by paulk205:
I sat and rewatched all of Purdy's drives on the full broadcast, i.e. not just the condensed game. I don't pretend that I am a schematics expert, I just wanted to get a more quiet look at him without being anxious about the outcome of the match.

What I really liked is that he seems fearless, that he has good pocket presence and -barring the time when he backed into the passrush- reasonable ability to make plays on the run. He looked quite unflappable against hard pressure, though credit must be given to the OL which did a reasonable job all things considering. His vision looks good - I couldn't quite make out which read he threw to and how he went through his progressions (I will wait for the experts to analyse the All-22 for that), but I liked how he seemed to find the hot route consistently under pressure.

Where I am not so sure (but I am happy to be proven wrong down the line) is his ability to make the medium and deep throws; he did have a couple of impressive throws to the middle yesterday, but the outside the numbers, over-the-shoulder throws were not in evidence yesterday - not that they should have been, the playcalling was what it was, and in fact was quite impressive. But it remains to be seen whether he can throw his receivers open rather than just manage to find the open man. He also seems really undersized for an NFL QB, and notwithstanding Wilson in Seattle, this is not usually a recipe for success.

For a rookie being thrown in a game 7-3 down this was quite an impressive outing, especially considering he was asked to throw 30-odd times, though he was greatly helped in the 2nd half by short fields resulting from turnovers. The best quality so far seems to be his cool headedness and unflappability in the face of pressure; that will help get some success, considering all the weapons our O has - he just needs to be cool and try to find the open man. I am less confident though that he can put the team on his shoulders and carry it to victory in the way that a veteran like Jimmy has done in the past (e.g. vs Rams last year or Saints in 2019).

I wish him the best, both for his sake and ours as fans, but I am not super confident. I think we'll make the playoffs and perhaps win a game, but that is the limit of our possibilities I'm afraid.

he's the same size as Jalen Hurts who's currently one of the MVP frontrunners
[ Edited by boast on Dec 5, 2022 at 4:31 PM ]
  • thl408

Good post. I agree on much of what you said about his performance. He's accurate short range, is mobile enough to evade the first guy, and isn't scared of tight window throws. When he had a good pocket, he stood tall and kept his eyes downfield - no frantic feet, no looking at the rush that wasn't there. From the little I've seen, it seems like his arm strength is average at best.

He came in cold and played very well for a rookie. The challenge is now how does he handle being the starter all week. It's a different kind of pressure when he goes to sleep each night knowing he is the man on Sunday.
  • thl408
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
He's got the hand size

Here's the webzone link on his combine stats now that you got peeps wondering if you can call him BDP

https://www.49erswebzone.com/news/amp-157940/

What is BDP?
Originally posted by boast:

Sure, and Brock Osweiller was also massively tall and massively useless. We can find lots of exceptions to the usual correlation of size being a good quality for a QB to have, but the correlation is there. Hurts, Wilson and the like are outliers.

I am not saying he's doomed, he just seemed small back there.
Maybe check clock management this week in practice. We had to take two time outs as the clock clicked zero correct? Easy stuff though all in all..
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Dec 5, 2022 at 4:41 PM ]

Sure, and Brock Osweiller was also massively tall and massively useless. We can find lots of exceptions to the usual correlation of size being a good quality for a QB to have, but the correlation is there. Hurts, Wilson and the like are outliers.

I am not saying he's doomed, he just seemed small back there.

he played big tho
he played big tho

As I wrote above, I liked very much what he showed, especially considering he was thrown into the deep end and told to swim or sink. That showed balls, and props to the man for that. I am just trying to have an educated guess whether he can help us salvage the season, get us to the playoffs and perhaps make a run. I don't think he can do much more than just help us limp over the line to get to the postseason, though I would love to be proven wrong. I want to be the idiot who doubted him! But at present I doubt him. I am not saying he's useless, he's clearly far from that. But in such a tough league, the difference between "fairly good" and "elite" is the difference between an exit in the WC round, or a run at the title.
Boy Wonder played a lot of college game .. so he should be comfy and excited about getting his chances..

That 3rd down throw to kittle was his absolute best throw.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 9moon:
Boy Wonder played a lot of college game .. so he should be comfy and excited about getting his chances..

9Moon, do you SMELL what the Brock IS cooking?!?!?
Originally posted by thl408:

B-Rock is cooking an undefeated late season TAKE OVER baby !!!!
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:

B-Rock is cooking an undefeated late season TAKE OVER baby !!!!

wth? B-Rock? This is a perfect opportunity to channel the spirit of The BRock, and you go with B-Rock?

This was a nice throw.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Dec 5, 2022 at 5:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone