There are 198 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
HES BETTER THAN MONTANA AND MAHOMES AND WILSON BLENDED TOGETHER.

I agree.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Written after Purdy's sophomore season in college.

"Purdy enters the season among the top group of prospective first-rounders at the position and may even draw some [Drew] Brees comparisons," writes 247Sports' Charles Power in pegging Purdy to the New Orleans Saints. "He doesn't play with the type of supporting cast that Lawrence or Fields enjoy, but Purdy has still managed to be one of college football's best quarterbacks through his first two seasons in Ames. It was Purdy, not Trevor Lawrence, who set the NCAA record for highest passer efficiency by a true freshman in 2018. He may not have the pure physical tools of Lawrence, Fields or Lance, but is an accurate, quick processor and excels when facing pressure."

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Iowa-State-football-2021-NFL-Draft-Brock-Purdy-quarterback-showing-up-first-round-selection-146558945/

"Obviously he's young, but what he's done so far has been impressive. He doesn't have the biggest arm, but he's functional and really accurate as a passer, too," ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay said in September. "I think he's poised. You can see it. You can tell he's intelligent in processing things quickly. There are times where he gets a little impatient and takes off to run because he trusts that, but that's really common with a lot of young quarterbacks. You can see it. Then talking to the coaches, they brought us up to speed about who he is as a person and how smart he is, and how much he believes in himself and his ability to make plays."

Nailed it! Wow.

Yeah that's him. He's Brees with some poor man's Russell Wilson mobility. He can be a super star. I think we hit on one here. They were right about him.

Wilson's 10 yard split was 1.55 as well, so they have similar burst. Fair comparisons, but he's not running around and just chucking it deep like Wilson did. He fits the "system" with Kyle. I'm still sticking with my Joe Montana comparison, especially in terms of how he meshes with Kyle the way Montana meshed with Walsh. Disclaimer (again) - I'm not saying he's going to be Montana so everyone relax lol.
PLEASE STOP SAYING HES BETTER THAN MONTANA AND WILSON BLENDED TOGETHER.

You can ALWAYS bank on someone misinterpreting a comparison. Lol for some reason, some folks, can't separate out comparing traits and comparing play styles.

I've had numerous people, who are much older than I, that watched a young Montana - and they have texted me saying they see a big resemblance between young Purdys composure and the smooth off script plays (he usually goes for the short or intermediate) and young Montana.

Idc who he is compared to or what others preferred comparison would be, I just think it's great that his traits (intangible and tangible) are being compared to all time greats. Purdy is no one else but himself.

You'll get used to NFN's humor. He was kidding. Lol
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
If throwing 3 TDs and 300 plus yards in a playoff blowout of a hated rival, all to wide open receivers was so easy then why hasn't Jimmy been able to do it?

I think David Lombardi said something like all the 49er receivers were averaging 15+ yards per catch. That's insane, but that also makes sense if Kyle is seeing that Purdy can hit those deep targets accurately. If a QB like Purdy can accurately hit those deep targets, you take advantage of that and draw up deeper patterns. The question I have is do you change the offense to suit Purdy's long ball accuracy, or do you stay with the positionless football that Kyle currently has. There's strengths and weaknesses for both approaches.

From what I saw when Trey was in, these frequent PAs are not a change from play calls with Trey, but a change from Jimmy. The one thing that will definitely be gone with this "positionless football" thing is the QB power. Thank God. Purdy ain't built for that.

That QB power was installed because not only could Trey not run the rythm passing game at a high enough level, he also wasn't fast or savvy enough to get the edge when we ran those zone reads the inverted way for him last season.

No it wasn't. HE WAS DRAFTED because NDSU ran the QB power and Shanahan saw how defenses would collapse on it on goal to go situations and leave guys wide open.

Kyle ran zone reads last season that were either hand it off to the RB up the gut or Trey would keep it and run outside. He didn't start calling the opposite until this season. Trey did not run outside on any of those zone reads this season. Trey wasn't very good at getting to the edge which is why I believe he changed it up and had Trey running up the gut instead. HE WAS DRAFTED because he was an athletic and strong armed QB. The complete opposite of Jimmy.

That was because Jimmy was the starter then. The entire Trey offense wasn't installed until 2022. You can tell by watching the NDSU tape. That was what he put on tape and that is why he was drafted. In terms of schematic theory, it makes perfect sense why you would do that. Assuming the QB doesn't get injured, you can see clearly why it is so unstoppable. Empty the formation, and the QB is still a threat right up the gut. That's why the Bills do it. That's why the Ravens do it. That's what Trey did at NDSU, and that's why he was drafted. Shanahan wanted that particular element.

If he wanted a zone read guy, he would have drafted Justin Fields, not Trey Lance.

If Shanahan spent 3 first round picks on a QB because he can run QB power and that is the main reason why Trey was drafted, Kyle is one dumb MFer.

I personally wanted us to draft Fields. I still think that he has a bright nfl future, if the bears get him some
help.

i honestly didn't even consider us drafting Lance because he was so so so green. I didn't have anything against the kid, just didn't expect us to trade all that to get a kid who was so inexperienced.
i wasn't upset when we drafted him, more so surprised and kinda speechless for a moment. Lol my buddy was just laughing his ass off cause he didn't like Lance. I've stayed optimistic about him. I just think we've found our guy now! I'm very excited.

my hot take is that the falcons trade us the 8th pick for Lance. I don't think we will want to trade him, I don't, but I feel like Lance wants a chance to start and develop. I don't see him getting that here in the near future. Couple that with his fifth year option decision? I think he gets moved.
I'd completely understand if he requested a trade, I think most would.
the weird part is - he doesn't seem like the type to ask for a trade, but who knows. He's a high character guy with a great work ethic

i hope we keep both though for next season
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 16, 2023 at 11:29 AM ]

"Purdy enters the season among the top group of prospective first-rounders at the position and may even draw some [Drew] Brees comparisons," writes 247Sports' Charles Power in pegging Purdy to the New Orleans Saints. "He doesn't play with the type of supporting cast that Lawrence or Fields enjoy, but Purdy has still managed to be one of college football's best quarterbacks through his first two seasons in Ames. It was Purdy, not Trevor Lawrence, who set the NCAA record for highest passer efficiency by a true freshman in 2018. He may not have the pure physical tools of Lawrence, Fields or Lance, but is an accurate, quick processor and excels when facing pressure."

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Iowa-State-football-2021-NFL-Draft-Brock-Purdy-quarterback-showing-up-first-round-selection-146558945/

"Obviously he's young, but what he's done so far has been impressive. He doesn't have the biggest arm, but he's functional and really accurate as a passer, too," ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay said in September. "I think he's poised. You can see it. You can tell he's intelligent in processing things quickly. There are times where he gets a little impatient and takes off to run because he trusts that, but that's really common with a lot of young quarterbacks. You can see it. Then talking to the coaches, they brought us up to speed about who he is as a person and how smart he is, and how much he believes in himself and his ability to make plays."

Nailed it! Wow.

Yeah that's him. He's Brees with some poor man's Russell Wilson mobility. He can be a super star. I think we hit on one here. They were right about him.

Wilson's 10 yard split was 1.55 as well, so they have similar burst. Fair comparisons, but he's not running around and just chucking it deep like Wilson did. He fits the "system" with Kyle. I'm still sticking with my Joe Montana comparison, especially in terms of how he meshes with Kyle the way Montana meshed with Walsh. Disclaimer (again) - I'm not saying he's going to be Montana so everyone relax lol.

You can ALWAYS bank on someone misinterpreting a comparison. Lol for some reason, some folks, can't separate out comparing traits and comparing play styles.

I've had numerous people, who are much older than I, that watched a young Montana - and they have texted me saying they see a big resemblance between young Purdys composure and the smooth off script plays (he usually goes for the short or intermediate) and young Montana.

Idc who he is compared to or what others preferred comparison would be, I just think it's great that his traits (intangible and tangible) are being compared to all time greats. Purdy is no one else but himself.

Oh I know he was. Lol I forget to add that to my post. My bad. Lol I got side tracked with work.

he's obviously just playing around. Lol
Originally posted by thl408:

I agree.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Purdy, go! Have a game.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Nailed it! Wow.

PLEASE STOP SAYING HES BETTER THAN MONTANA AND MAHOMES AND WILSON BLENDED TOGETHER.
Honestly? He's already better than Mahommes. I wouldn't take Mahommes over him

That's a strong statement! A couple weeks ago I said I'd take Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, and Herbert over him and that's it. After watching more of Allen and Herbert the past few weeks, I'm crossing them off that list. Disclaimer so people don't lose their minds lol - I'm talking about with this team, Kyle, etc. Purdy just FITS.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Lots of internet accounts who make their clout off of football are deep into their false nuance "pump the breaks now - it's just been eight games!"

They'll keep moving the goalposts, those accounts aren't worth your time. "Well ok so he came from behind a couple times now. But can he run a four minute offense throwing with his left hand while eating a hot dog?"

You know what you're seeing. It's been way too many games to be a fluke. All these teams have months (plural) of tape on him. He's still tearing defenses open.

No. But he could if it was a corn dog.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Nailed it! Wow.

Oh I know he was. Lol I forget to add that to my post. My bad. Lol I got side tracked with work.

he's obviously just playing around. Lol

Okay cool lol
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
If throwing 3 TDs and 300 plus yards in a playoff blowout of a hated rival, all to wide open receivers was so easy then why hasn't Jimmy been able to do it?

I think David Lombardi said something like all the 49er receivers were averaging 15+ yards per catch. That's insane, but that also makes sense if Kyle is seeing that Purdy can hit those deep targets accurately. If a QB like Purdy can accurately hit those deep targets, you take advantage of that and draw up deeper patterns. The question I have is do you change the offense to suit Purdy's long ball accuracy, or do you stay with the positionless football that Kyle currently has. There's strengths and weaknesses for both approaches.

From what I saw when Trey was in, these frequent PAs are not a change from play calls with Trey, but a change from Jimmy. The one thing that will definitely be gone with this "positionless football" thing is the QB power. Thank God. Purdy ain't built for that.

That QB power was installed because not only could Trey not run the rythm passing game at a high enough level, he also wasn't fast or savvy enough to get the edge when we ran those zone reads the inverted way for him last season.

No it wasn't. HE WAS DRAFTED because NDSU ran the QB power and Shanahan saw how defenses would collapse on it on goal to go situations and leave guys wide open.

Kyle ran zone reads last season that were either hand it off to the RB up the gut or Trey would keep it and run outside. He didn't start calling the opposite until this season. Trey did not run outside on any of those zone reads this season. Trey wasn't very good at getting to the edge which is why I believe he changed it up and had Trey running up the gut instead. HE WAS DRAFTED because he was an athletic and strong armed QB. The complete opposite of Jimmy.

That was because Jimmy was the starter then. The entire Trey offense wasn't installed until 2022. You can tell by watching the NDSU tape. That was what he put on tape and that is why he was drafted. In terms of schematic theory, it makes perfect sense why you would do that. Assuming the QB doesn't get injured, you can see clearly why it is so unstoppable. Empty the formation, and the QB is still a threat right up the gut. That's why the Bills do it. That's why the Ravens do it. That's what Trey did at NDSU, and that's why he was drafted. Shanahan wanted that particular element.

If he wanted a zone read guy, he would have drafted Justin Fields, not Trey Lance.

If Shanahan spent 3 first round picks on a QB because he can run QB power and that is the main reason why Trey was drafted, Kyle is one dumb MFer.

I personally wanted us to draft Fields. I still think that he has a bright nfl future, if the bears get him some
help.

i honestly didn't even consider us drafting Lance because he was so so so green. I didn't have anything against the kid, just didn't expect us to trade all that to get a kid who was so inexperienced.
i wasn't upset when we drafted him, more so surprised and kinda speechless for a moment. Lol my buddy was just laughing his ass off cause he didn't like Lance. I've stayed optimistic about him. I just think we've found our guy now! I'm very excited.

my hot take is that the falcons trade us the 8th pick for Lance. I don't think we will want to trade him, I don't, but I feel like Lance wants a chance to start and develop. I don't see him getting that here in the near future. Couple that with his fifth year option decision? I think he gets moved.
the weird part is - he doesn't seem like the type to ask for a trade, but who knows. He's a high character guy with a great work ethic

That actually makes sense for both sides. Give me Northwestern OT Peter Skoronski to take over for McGlinchey.

• thl408

I agree.

help.

That actually makes sense for both sides. Give me Northwestern OT Peter Skoronski to take over for McGlinchey.

Nobody is giving you the 8th pick for Lance. Come on. He's proven to be less accurate than advertised. He runs like a fat fullback despite all the speed hype. He's injury prone. He largely hasn't played football for the most part in 3 years. 1 College (Covid) and 2 pro years. 1 backup behind Jimmy G and 1 injury year. Nobody would give a 1st rounder for this. They would be crazy to do so. Especially not a high one.

I agree.

That's how he played the last game like a combo of Joe Cool and Pat Mahomes

If this isn't the time of year for relentless optimism I don't know what is

We got the team folks.. put #6 on the calendar

ANOTHER DAY CLOSER

That's a strong statement! A couple weeks ago I said I'd take Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, and Herbert over him and that's it. After watching more of Allen and Herbert the past few weeks, I'm crossing them off that list. Disclaimer so people don't lose their minds lol - I'm talking about with this team, Kyle, etc. Purdy just FITS.

Hahahaha looks like I got you 😏. I was just one upping NFN.

i definitely think burrow and Mahomes are better than Purdy, at least right now. Herbert has a great skill set but there is something about his game I'm not a big fan of (maybes it the coaching/scheme?) but I really don't like his throwing motion - it's a super weird angle

the Josh allen one is interesting because Allen is obviously a really good quarterback. He isn't playing as clean and precise as he was under Daboll (now the giants HC). So it's interesting to see him regress some.

Also, I know this isn't exactly accurate to what would of happened, but it's the best data we have. Purdy was on track to have a 39 TD & 9 INT (excluding the KC pick in garbage time). So that's nothing to sneeze at.
Purdy is going to come out playing out of his mind next season after a full off season of training and reviewing his film. I'm not saying Purdy is better than Allen right now, just don't know if I'd trade them at this point.

help.

There were rumors that the falcons wanted to draft Trey - but we jumped ahead and took him. So I believe they took Pitts?

i think McG is going to be more expensive to resign than we realize. Hopefully he works it out with us on a fair contract. McG isn't bad, he just makes dumb mistakes from to time. He's a great locker room guy too.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 16, 2023 at 11:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone