There are 194 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Agreed. The best part is the things that separate Purdy are VERY sustainable. His IQ, decision making, accuracy, etc - can all be worked on and maintained over time. Yes he'll lose some athletic burst as he gets older but it's not like he's running around like Lamar Jackson.

The key to maintaining his mobility will be avoiding dumb hits. I like that we don't run designed qb runs with him. I HATE when we do that. We just abuse our QBs body for no reason - run a WR/TE/RB/FB. Lol we have the best to do it.

once you have 3-4 seasons of taking hits on those plays, the injuries/soreness lingers and lingers. Making you more unhealthy as the year goes on. And you can bet that physical hits to the legs and everything will eventually play a factor in worse mechanics etc as the season goes on.

I don't mind QB sneaks when they're close. I don't mind him taking off and running if nothing is there (like he did for a first down last weekend). I hope he knows how ti protect himself and avoid big hits.

Agreed 100%! It has driven me nuts how many posters in here think that mobile/running QB's don't get injured/hurt more often than pocket passing QB's. Might possibly be true as far injuries where they miss games, but it's clear that running QB's fade off much younger in their careers. I'm okay with running your QB a few times a game to surprise the defense, but doing it 15+ times a game just to pick up a 3rd and 2 is insanity. Especially when you have a stable of great RB's and weapons to use (as you mentioned).

I absolutely think they tend to have shorter careers - or at least shorter primes. Look at Lamar? Even he doesn't move as well as he used to. Look at cam Newton? Russ Wilson?

the thing about players like them - is their running threat makes the defense hesitant, which gives bigger passing windows. Once they aren't a threat running as they were, it closed up and they struggle to play pocket QB consistently.

i know some have had longer careers but they're usually backups towards the second half of their career.

I'll take the Montana, Brady, Bree's, Rodgers, manning, etcs of the world instead. Just my personal philosophy. I know others feel different.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:07 PM ]

Don't they say Patrick Mahomes always gets away with some dogs**t crazy contested throws, bad balls, and almost interceptions but somehow they turn into explosive plays?
Originally posted by picklejuice:

Don't they say Patrick Mahomes always gets away with some dogs**t crazy contested throws, bad balls, and almost interceptions but somehow they turn into explosive plays?

Lol we need to stop sharing this guys posts. He's getting exactly what he wants - us to debate with him and share his stuff.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Nobody is giving you the 8th pick for Lance. Come on. He's proven to be less accurate than advertised. He runs like a fat fullback despite all the speed hype. He's injury prone. He largely hasn't played football for the most part in 3 years. 1 College (Covid) and 2 pro years. 1 backup behind Jimmy G and 1 injury year. Nobody would give a 1st rounder for this. They would be crazy to do so. Especially not a high one.

Let's hope they're crazy! I didn't think a team would give Watson a huge contract with it all guaranteed - crazy stuff happens! Never know

Yeah but it would be crazy at this point. You got to admit. LOL.

I don't think it's that crazy. The NFL draft is a crapshoot and Trey has shown enough in his small sample size that he can be successful in the NFL. Just needs to not run QB power 17-20 times a game.

No one is giving a Top 10 pick for Lance, let alone a 1st rounder. He's played fewer than ten games in three years. He's going to be on the third year of his rookie contract while still being an unknown quantity.

If the 49ers got lucky, they might be able to convince someone to swap a 2nd and change for him. He hasn't proven a thing in the NFL and that is why he won't have more value to any other team than he does for the 49ers in case Purdy ends up flopping or getting hurt next season.

He's a starting caliber QB making $10m(ish) per season and they'd control his rights in 2 more seasons. That's worth a lot. And every draft pick is an unknown quantity; at least Trey has shown something in the NFL. Not saying it WILL happen, but it wouldn't be that crazy.

Compared to drafting a QB, you lose 2 years of cheap contract, and potentially 3 because with Trey you only have one more season before you have to exercise the 5th year option.
And then you have the question about whether Trey is injured prone.
I doubt GM will say they like what they saw in Trey for those 4 games.

Reading through his Twitter this guy seems bitter as f**k

I thought that was a really good throw lol

Lol we need to stop sharing this guys posts. He's getting exactly what he wants - us to debate with him and share his stuff.

He's had some bad takes in the past but he's not awful. I mean it wasn't a great throw. Whatever Brock had plenty of other great plays
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

No you want that s**t upfield more towards the sideline. Whatever didn't get picked this time. Plenty of good throws we can talk about though.
Bad throw, good catch. It's part of the game.

It's nice to have some receivers who can actually make the QB look good.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:30 PM ]
WTF are people here discussing a Trey Lance trade? We'd be selling low after giving up 3 picks only to then have to pay waaaaay more money to bring in a backup. Trey is a promising, cost-controlled QB option who already has two years experience in Kyle's offense. You keep him to have one of the deeper more promising QB rooms in the NFL. Let them compete the way Montana and Young did for 2 Super Bowl runs. People always want to act like children who find a shiny new toy and can't wait to disregard the old one in the trash. I don't get it.

another 15 pages about an almost INT incoming
Originally posted by boast:

Pretty much.
Originally posted by boast:

An "Almost" Interception is 3X worse than a "Real" Interception.

They are devastating for the social media community and will result in multiple days over overanalyzing.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

No you want that s**t upfield more towards the sideline. Whatever didn't get picked this time. Plenty of good throws we can talk about though.

This and Brock himself would say it
Discussed last night but good to see consensus forming that BCB made the right call

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone