Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

Why does it matter? What are you afraid of?

If it's so clear to you Brock is far superior to Trey any "open competition" will result in Brock winning it easily and being named the starter regardless right?

So if Mahomes and Burrow have to go through an "open competition" next season, and they're annoyed by that, they are afraid? I disagree. Purdy has already earned QB1 status for next season. A competition is unnecessary and would take away first team reps that would prepare him for the regular season.

Comparing Brock to Mahomes and Burrow? Lmao dude. Mahomes is a champion and Burrow a #1 overall pick. We happen to have a #3 overall pick on the roster that got injured through no fault of his own - not like we have Zach Wilson on the roster playing like s**t for two years and looking non-functional.

Talk to me if Brock wins the Super Bowl. Which I desperately hope he does.

I'm down with whatever Shanahan thinks. If he thinks Brock has earned QB1 and no competition is necessary I'm good with that as he has seen more of both qbs in practice than you or I could ever hope to see. I want whoever Kyle thinks will be the best qb in the near term AND long term. If that's Brock let's do it. If he thinks it's Trey though he should go with that. I just want whoever will be considered the most elite qb five years from now not just in the current moment.

But I'm sure as hell not going by your thoughts and proclamations on the matter.

Very curious to see how the offseason goes.

The bolded is the ONLY reason you're arguing for a competition. Swap their draft slots and you wouldn't even be mentioning Trey. Putting Purdy through a competition after what he's done this season would be somewhat insulting in my opinion. I doubt Kyle would do that but he may massage the language to make it appear that way. Good way to elevate Trey's trade value.
Originally posted by krizay:

If it's so clear to you Brock is far superior to Trey any "open competition" will result in Brock winning it easily and being named the starter regardless right?

Except it would take reps from a guy who only started 5 regular season games. Reps matter right?

He's had 8 million reps in college and boatloads of reps the past 7 games and hopefully 3 more games right?

And he looks pretty damn good right?

The reps that matter are reps in games.. ie regular season and playoff games. Brock beats Trey out in the offseason he will get damn near ALL the reps in the regular season practices and obv all the reps in the regular season games.

Open competition and may best man win - Brock looks to clearly have the edge at this point as he is playing magnificently and I couldn't be happier about it. However nothing he is doing are things Trey is not capable of. Obv Jimmy can't do at all what Brock can which is what we have been saying for YEARS to you people with an absurd infatuation with a limited qb and a severe playoff liability. Glad Brock can show you what a real QB looks like.

The reps that matter are the ones in games, which Purdy has clearly shown he's superior. But you want an open competition during camp and preseason - and for Kyle to pick a starter from those reps, that don't matter. I see.

Purdy was the last pick in the draft. We have a #3 overall pick on the roster with huge upside to be a top 5 QB in the league.

I want whoever will be the better QB five years from now not just currently. I think Lance is likely thinking I'd be doing the same things Brock is doing if I didn't get hurt which I agree with.

If Brock is going to be this good consistently year in and year out sure I'm down with that. I LOVE how Brock is playing and showing people who actually liked Jimmy what a real QB looks like.

Brock would only have to beat Trey out once in one offseason as if he wins that competition which he clearly should according to you and plays like he has been all next season and in the playoffs then Lance is a permanent backup until his contract is up.

Either way let's see how Shanahan handles it. I'm good with whatever he does and will not criticize him if he feels as you do and that Brock is already QB1 next year without competition from Trey.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
As someone who believes Trey Lance will be a good QB in the long run, if they called for an open competition... I'd just be wondering if it'd be a fair competition for Purdy.

But all in all though... Shanahan's not an idiot. He knows what he has in those two QB's, working with them day in and day out. It'll be fine whatever he decides.

KS did come up with a chart this year that read TL > JG > BP

He done got it backwards.

Coaches do get it wrong, but you can say that now because you have the benefit of hindsight.
I'm unsure that Purdy could be doing what he's doing now, in Week 1 of the regular season, without CMC on the roster. The way things unfolded this year... Brock Purdy got to sit for 12 weeks and quietly learn a very complex offense.
Originally posted by irief:
Crazy to think Micah Parsons was drafted with our original pick. Imagine Parsons and Bosa together!

if only we knew of Purdy's greatness in 2021.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

I'm sure the majority of ppl would say we don't need a MLB at the time when we already have Warner and Greenlaw.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
The wonderful thing about Brock Purdy's situation is that he's on his rookie contract.

Wherever you stand, whether you think he's the next Great Franchise QB, A Really Good Guy for This Year and Next or just a back-up that's really lucky to have Shanahan/surrounding cast, at the end of the day... he's on his rookie contract for two more years after this... as is Trey Lance. Comparatively, to other teams, our total, combined cap hit for those two QB's will be, at a maximum, $12M, in 2024. Meanwhile, in 2024, other teams will have huge cap hits for their guys---Mahomes? $44M. Allen? $41M. Prescott? $52M. Stafford? $49M.

Even if you have the worst view of Purdy... that he's a product of Shanahan and his surrounding cast... With our low QB cap figure, you know what's awesome? Barring a complete collapse, Shanahan will continue to be here, and we can afford to keep that surrounding cast for a couple more years. For the next two years, if healthy, the worst-case scenario, we can still have Purdy Shanahan everyone else.

It's for beyond 2024 that we DO have to know if Purdy (or Lance) is a Franchise QB. Because at that point, you have to extend one of those guys to a deal that you figure is going to be at LEAST an AAV of $25M/year. At that point, whoever that is doesn't have the luxury of having superstars at every position. We have plenty of time to figure out our long-term QB situation.

So for now... just enjoy the ride and let the chips fall however they fall.

GREAT post! We have at minimum 2 more years to this ridiculous window and even after extending Purdy (or Lance, longshot) we could structure those extensions to keep the window open for 3-4 years longer.

This. There are teams out there that are desperate for one QB. We possibly have 2. I'm enjoying this ride, will enjoy an open competition next year, and will enjoy knowing that if our starter goes down next year, we STILL can make a run- for the next two seasons.
Originally posted by irief:
Crazy to think Micah Parsons was drafted with our original pick. Imagine Parsons and Bosa together!

if only we knew of Purdy's greatness in 2021.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Purdy was a 2022 draft pick, unless this was a joke.

It's more a joke about what we potentially gave up for Trey.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wanna see brock start throwing better deep balls, he keeps under throwing his guys, its a constant theme now after 7 games

i dont think its lack of arm strength, i think hes just trying to be too fine with his throws, he needs to see it quicker and let it fly

Constant.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wanna see brock start throwing better deep balls, he keeps under throwing his guys, its a constant theme now after 7 games

i dont think its lack of arm strength, i think hes just trying to be too fine with his throws, he needs to see it quicker and let it fly

A lot of them are just a beat late. The timing isn't quite there, which can be expected. He didn't get first team reps with some of these receivers until late in the season and, overall, he's a young QB.

The more chemistry he gets with his receivers, he'll better understand when they'll break open. As he gets more experience, he'll be more decisive. During the offseason, he'll fine-tune his mechanics to hopefully get the ball out faster.
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So if Mahomes and Burrow have to go through an "open competition" next season, and they're annoyed by that, they are afraid? I disagree. Purdy has already earned QB1 status for next season. A competition is unnecessary and would take away first team reps that would prepare him for the regular season.

Comparing Brock to Mahomes and Burrow? Lmao dude. Mahomes is a champion and Burrow a #1 overall pick. We happen to have a #3 overall pick on the roster that got injured through no fault of his own - not like we have Zach Wilson on the roster playing like s**t for two years and looking non-functional.

I'm down with whatever Shanahan thinks. If he thinks Brock has earned QB1 and no competition is necessary I'm good with that as he has seen more of both qbs in practice than you or I could ever hope to see. I want whoever Kyle thinks will be the best qb in the near term AND long term. If that's Brock let's do it. If he thinks it's Trey though he should go with that. I just want whoever will be considered the most elite qb five years from now not just in the current moment.

But I'm sure as hell not going by your thoughts and proclamations on the matter.

The bolded is the ONLY reason you're arguing for a competition. Swap their draft slots and you wouldn't even be mentioning Trey. Putting Purdy through a competition after what he's done this season would be somewhat insulting in my opinion. I doubt Kyle would do that but he may massage the language to make it appear that way. Good way to elevate Trey's trade value.

Yes and no. It is because I like what I have seen from Lance so far for being so inexperienced and project his upside to be a top 5 qb level qb in the NFL.

There was a REASON Trey was drafted at #3. He has superior athletic talent and physical gifts that Purdy does not have. If Trey was not on the roster obv Purdy is the starter going forward based on his elite play so far In an albeit small sample size.

I certainly get that those who never liked Trey would think it's Brock's job now as QB1 but don't forget Kyle picked Trey and wanted Trey and likes Trey a lot and Trey was replaced due to injury not poor play.

Brock is awesome and I think Trey can be just as awesome and maybe even MORE awesome. If Kyle doesn't belive that then sure why go with Trey if Brock is already playing at Trey's ceiling? But the question is what does Shanahan believe Trey's ceiling is? If it's what we are already getting from Brock then Brock is QB1 for sure going into next year. I would love to know Shanahan's true thoughts on this.

But let's agree to be good with whatever Shanahan decides - because I am.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
If throwing 3 TDs and 300 plus yards in a playoff blowout of a hated rival, all to wide open receivers was so easy then why hasn't Jimmy been able to do it?

I think David Lombardi said something like all the 49er receivers were averaging 15+ yards per catch. That's insane, but that also makes sense if Kyle is seeing that Purdy can hit those deep targets accurately. If a QB like Purdy can accurately hit those deep targets, you take advantage of that and draw up deeper patterns. The question I have is do you change the offense to suit Purdy's long ball accuracy, or do you stay with the positionless football that Kyle currently has. There's strengths and weaknesses for both approaches.

From what I saw when Trey was in, these frequent PAs are not a change from play calls with Trey, but a change from Jimmy. The one thing that will definitely be gone with this "positionless football" thing is the QB power. Thank God. Purdy ain't built for that.

That QB power was installed because not only could Trey not run the rythm passing game at a high enough level, he also wasn't fast or savvy enough to get the edge when we ran those zone reads the inverted way for him last season.

No it wasn't. HE WAS DRAFTED because NDSU ran the QB power and Shanahan saw how defenses would collapse on it on goal to go situations and leave guys wide open.

Kyle ran zone reads last season that were either hand it off to the RB up the gut or Trey would keep it and run outside. He didn't start calling the opposite until this season. Trey did not run outside on any of those zone reads this season. Trey wasn't very good at getting to the edge which is why I believe he changed it up and had Trey running up the gut instead. HE WAS DRAFTED because he was an athletic and strong armed QB. The complete opposite of Jimmy.

That was because Jimmy was the starter then. The entire Trey offense wasn't installed until 2022. You can tell by watching the NDSU tape. That was what he put on tape and that is why he was drafted. In terms of schematic theory, it makes perfect sense why you would do that. Assuming the QB doesn't get injured, you can see clearly why it is so unstoppable. Empty the formation, and the QB is still a threat right up the gut. That's why the Bills do it. That's why the Ravens do it. That's what Trey did at NDSU, and that's why he was drafted. Shanahan wanted that particular element.

If he wanted a zone read guy, he would have drafted Justin Fields, not Trey Lance.

If Shanahan spent 3 first round picks on a QB because he can run QB power and that is the main reason why Trey was drafted, Kyle is one dumb MFer.

No. Obviously he was drafted for his arm talent as well, and his presumed mold-ability, which they believe was there because of his lack of experience and his psychological/intelligence testing that they gave him. But one thing is clear: the NDSU scheme is a big reason they chose him. It's very much like a college version of ours EXCEPT it has things like QB power and plays off of it.

Yes and no. It is because I like what I have seen from Lance so far for being so inexperienced and project his upside to be a top 5 qb level qb in the NFL.

There was a REASON Trey was drafted at #3. He has superior athletic talent and physical gifts that Purdy does not have. If Trey was not on the roster obv Purdy is the starter going forward based on his elite play so far In an albeit small sample size.

I certainly get that those who never liked Trey would think it's Brock's job now as QB1 but don't forget Kyle picked Trey and wanted Trey and likes Trey a lot and Trey was replaced due to injury not poor play.

Brock is awesome and I think Trey can be just as awesome and maybe even MORE awesome. If Kyle doesn't belive that then sure why go with Trey if Brock is already playing at Trey's ceiling? But the question is what does Shanahan believe Trey's ceiling is? If it's what we are already getting from Brock then Brock is QB1 for sure going into next year. I would love to know Shanahan's true thoughts on this.

Damn! Some people are just super obsessed with Trey like some are also same with Jimmy. I hope you guys are still getting sleep time and normal life.

I don't know if anyone noticed. But this guy is a pretty good QB. Let's keep it Going Mr. Purdy!!!!
Originally posted by 49erF90:

Damn! Some people are just super obsessed with Trey like some are also same with Jimmy. I hope you guys are still getting sleep time and normal life.

Dude comes to the Brock thread after a historic playoff thread and starts going on and on about Trey Lance.

LOL
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 16, 2023 at 2:06 PM ]
Originally posted by picklejuice:

Don't they say Patrick Mahomes always gets away with some dogs**t crazy contested throws, bad balls, and almost interceptions but somehow they turn into explosive plays?

Every QB has a couple bad throws per game. How many good throws did he have? Quite a lot.
I wonder if some are just very young. High drafted athletic projects at QB have a staggering failure rate.

Trey could turn out pretty well, though. Pressure to maintain a championship caliber team is off him. He can concentrate on learning and development. Really, Purdy's emergence could possibly work out as the best thing for him.

We will see how it all goes. For now, in my opinion, Purdy has already won the job. Whatever future developments may come, I trust those in charge.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erF90:

😆 Right! It's almost they can't be happy for the 49ers organization so they can be correct. 😂
Share 49ersWebzone