There are 331 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Damn! Some people are just super obsessed with Trey like some are also same with Jimmy. I hope you guys are still getting sleep time and normal life.

For me it's about winning football games. That's what we are trying to do here. We won a lot with JG and he played a role in some of that. Brock is undefeated. Winning games folks that's what it's all about. To be honest BP probably wasn't ready to win games week 1 that's why he didn't dress for that game. He needed some time to work on his craft behind the scenes. Quick learner.
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Damn! Some people are just super obsessed with Trey like some are also same with Jimmy. I hope you guys are still getting sleep time and normal life.

Lol it's wild. When I see plays like the one where Aiyuk dropped the ball, THAT is showing flashes of greatness/superstar potential. He showed that in his 7th game, in the playoffs, and it was a dime to put the nail in the coffin.

i know Lance hasn't played much, but I've never seen him do anything relatively close to that. Other can disagree with me, and that's perfectly fine, but I don't think he has superstar potential. I think he can be a good qb in this league, even a very good one, just don't see him being anything special. I hope the kid gets his chance and balls out though - I'm not rooting against him.

I feel like he will be a Dak type player. Very good but nothing special.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 16, 2023 at 2:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

Why does it matter? What are you afraid of?

If it's so clear to you Brock is far superior to Trey any "open competition" will result in Brock winning it easily and being named the starter regardless right?

So if Mahomes and Burrow have to go through an "open competition" next season, and they're annoyed by that, they are afraid? I disagree. Purdy has already earned QB1 status for next season. A competition is unnecessary and would take away first team reps that would prepare him for the regular season.

Comparing Brock to Mahomes and Burrow? Lmao dude. Mahomes is a champion and Burrow a #1 overall pick. We happen to have a #3 overall pick on the roster that got injured through no fault of his own - not like we have Zach Wilson on the roster playing like s**t for two years and looking non-functional.

Talk to me if Brock wins the Super Bowl. Which I desperately hope he does.

I'm down with whatever Shanahan thinks. If he thinks Brock has earned QB1 and no competition is necessary I'm good with that as he has seen more of both qbs in practice than you or I could ever hope to see. I want whoever Kyle thinks will be the best qb in the near term AND long term. If that's Brock let's do it. If he thinks it's Trey though he should go with that. I just want whoever will be considered the most elite qb five years from now not just in the current moment.

But I'm sure as hell not going by your thoughts and proclamations on the matter.

Very curious to see how the offseason goes.

The vast majority of the good teams will be be set with their franchise QB and, those starters will take all of the 1st team reps this off-season. It will be a huge disadvantage if at SF Brock has to shared half of the 1st team reps with Trey.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Jan 16, 2023 at 2:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Discussed last night but good to see consensus forming that BCB made the right call

What exactly did the safety nail down? Deebo was WIDE open.

Kyle said he prefers QBs to read deep to short. Do you see how the safety runs toward the line of scrimmage? "Deep to short" means throw it to Aiyuk. There are MILES of empty space back there to fit the ball. But Aiyuk stopped running the route.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Discussed last night but good to see consensus forming that BCB made the right call

Kyle said he prefers QBs to read deep to short. Do you see how the safety runs toward the line of scrimmage? "Deep to short" means throw it to Aiyuk. There are MILES of empty space back there to fit the ball. But Aiyuk stopped running the route.

These are the plays that Piss Kyle off - at least he was blocking well for deebo on that touchdown run of his

Yep, unfortunate. 2 extra missed TD passes.
Originally posted by krizay:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

He is bringing exactly what the Trey guys wanted. The extra 10% plays. So from that aspect I see why they wanted it. However, Purdy can do the other 90% as well.

This guy is perfect for this offense. Just hope he can beat out Stetson Bennett next off season.

Very much so. The whole reason for people wanting Trey to start was that he immediately opened up the down the field stuff and could eventually learn the quick stuff. Brock is indeed doing to a large extent what people put their faith in Trey for. It doesn't require a huge arm to hit the deep stuff. Just a good enough one, along with the eyes and guts to throw it. Purdy has that.

Now, I'm still always remaining at best cautiously optimistic, but so far so good.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

Why does it matter? What are you afraid of?

If it's so clear to you Brock is far superior to Trey any "open competition" will result in Brock winning it easily and being named the starter regardless right?

So if Mahomes and Burrow have to go through an "open competition" next season, and they're annoyed by that, they are afraid? I disagree. Purdy has already earned QB1 status for next season. A competition is unnecessary and would take away first team reps that would prepare him for the regular season.

Comparing Brock to Mahomes and Burrow? Lmao dude. Mahomes is a champion and Burrow a #1 overall pick. We happen to have a #3 overall pick on the roster that got injured through no fault of his own - not like we have Zach Wilson on the roster playing like s**t for two years and looking non-functional.

Talk to me if Brock wins the Super Bowl. Which I desperately hope he does.

I'm down with whatever Shanahan thinks. If he thinks Brock has earned QB1 and no competition is necessary I'm good with that as he has seen more of both qbs in practice than you or I could ever hope to see. I want whoever Kyle thinks will be the best qb in the near term AND long term. If that's Brock let's do it. If he thinks it's Trey though he should go with that. I just want whoever will be considered the most elite qb five years from now not just in the current moment.

But I'm sure as hell not going by your thoughts and proclamations on the matter.

Very curious to see how the offseason goes.

The bolded is the ONLY reason you're arguing for a competition. Swap their draft slots and you wouldn't even be mentioning Trey. Putting Purdy through a competition after what he's done this season would be somewhat insulting in my opinion. I doubt Kyle would do that but he may massage the language to make it appear that way. Good way to elevate Trey's trade value.

Yes and no. It is because I like what I have seen from Lance so far for being so inexperienced and project his upside to be a top 5 qb level qb in the NFL.

There was a REASON Trey was drafted at #3. He has superior athletic talent and physical gifts that Purdy does not have. If Trey was not on the roster obv Purdy is the starter going forward based on his elite play so far In an albeit small sample size.

I certainly get that those who never liked Trey would think it's Brock's job now as QB1 but don't forget Kyle picked Trey and wanted Trey and likes Trey a lot and Trey was replaced due to injury not poor play.

Brock is awesome and I think Trey can be just as awesome and maybe even MORE awesome. If Kyle doesn't belive that then sure why go with Trey if Brock is already playing at Trey's ceiling? But the question is what does Shanahan believe Trey's ceiling is? If it's what we are already getting from Brock then Brock is QB1 for sure going into next year. I would love to know Shanahan's true thoughts on this.

But let's agree to be good with whatever Shanahan decides - because I am.

Purdy has already won his spot. There is no competition. Trey has zero chance of starting next season. He is not ready and will not be ready by late August/early September to lead the team. Your argument on having a competition has zero merit given Purdy's extremely high level of play and Lance's much lower level of play. Lance is very disappointing for a 3rd round pick and may only get a chance if Purdy gets hurt next season. If Purdy stays healthy Trey will only be bench warming until he is traded or wants out.
[ Edited by Goatie on Jan 16, 2023 at 2:15 PM ]
Very much so. The whole reason for people wanting Trey to start was that he immediately opened up the down the field stuff and could eventually learn the quick stuff. Brock is indeed doing to a large extent what people put their faith in Trey for. It doesn't require a huge arm to hit the deep stuff. Just a good enough one, along with the eyes and guts to throw it. Purdy has that.

Now, I'm still always remaining at best cautiously optimistic, but so far so good.

I think it's hilarious at this point that people think if they just stop the run, they can beat us. This team has too great of scheme, talent, and execution to completely stop us. We can score so fast now. It's wild!
because of the CBA, there's just not a lot of reps to waste in camp and preseason for what in essence would be a search for a starting QB. if Brock wins the Super Bowl, i'd think that question would be already answered.

Originally posted by krizay:

He is bringing exactly what the Trey guys wanted. The extra 10% plays. So from that aspect I see why they wanted it. However, Purdy can do the other 90% as well.

This guy is perfect for this offense. Just hope he can beat out Stetson Bennett next off season.

He landed a 50 yard dime to Kittle in the end zone. That arm is good enough to stretch defenses and good enough for me.
Most likely. Still not used to a QB who can see the field. Purdy has the things you can't teach.

Shanahan was also not happy after that I assume because he schemed to get Deebo open and Brock passed it up.
Lol
Constant subtle digs @ Purdy
Impressive
Originally posted by tankle104:
I think it's hilarious at this point that people think if they just stop the run, they can beat us. This team has too great of scheme, talent, and execution to completely stop us. We can score so fast now. It's wild!

Run game has never been at this level. CMC is integrated into the club, Mitchell back, Sermon playing as well as he has all year and Deebo with no restriction on his usage in playoffs. Taking it to new heights even.
The Trey cult is relentless

I'm a big Jimmy G fan but I'm riding with BCB to the Super Bowl and beyond
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Run game has never been at this level. CMC is integrated into the club, Mitchell back, Sermon playing as well as he has all year and Deebo with no restriction on his usage in playoffs. Taking it to new heights even.

CMC is the key that makes this all work because of his versatility, and how good he is at EVERYTHING.

i hope we are able to find a back like him in the draft soon. It'll be a sad day when we don't have him anymore 😭.
Share 49ersWebzone