There are 224 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Except when JG was QB there was no better QB on the roster. When Purdy stepped up there was. Hence No Irony. Lance was never "better" than JG. Look at the stats - Winning %, Completion %, Efficiency and so forth. Dream on my friends!

Yet a month and a half ago you were talking about a long term Jimmy extension. Clearly there was a better QB on roster.

This blows up any narrative that ppl were 'JG lovers' or such nonsense. It's about winning games. Whoever gives us the best shot to win. I can forgive Goatie for not knowing we have Mahomes on the bench all year disguised as Mr Irrelevant.

No one saw this coming folks.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 16, 2023 at 2:50 PM ]
Except when JG was QB there was no better QB on the roster. When Purdy stepped up there was. Hence No Irony. Lance was never "better" than JG. Look at the stats - Winning %, Completion %, Efficiency and so forth. Dream on my friends!

Yet a month and a half ago you were talking about a long term Jimmy extension. Clearly there was a better QB on roster.

Yup and once Purdy proved it I moved on. The best QB on the roster should have the QB1 job.
Let's enjoy Purdy's play. Jimmy and Trey are good in their own ways, but only Purdy is available now, so rally around Purdy.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

When people were saying that a Jimmy G Super Bowl win would warrant his return to the 49ers on a long-term contract... I repeatedly said something like this:

I said that it was possible that Jimmy could prove to me that he should be the long-term starter without winning a playoff game and conversely, Jimmy could prove to me that we should stay the course with Trey Lance, even after winning the Super Bowl. This stance I've realized is vastly different from most posters because most would assume you would have to play great to win playoff games, especially a super bowl win. My stance is that this team is a unicorn, we have a top 3 coaching staff, we know we without throwing the ball, and that we have a history of relying on great defensive play to win in the postseason. It's not inconceivable for this team to win a Super Bowl with subpar QB play... and its entirely possible the team around Jimmy could have a bad game and tarnish a great effort from him individually.

I'm not bringing up Jimmy to hate on him, I bring him up because it's the exact same standard I have towards Purdy. I think it's important to isolate a player's impact to the team, at the best of your ability. A lot of fans get caught up in wins and losses, but they ignore other context that's crucial to understanding a QBs individual value to the team. Whoever gives us the best chance to win now and in the future is who I want as the starter.

To me, what Purdy is doing right now is exceeding MY standard. And that standard is to play at such a high level that I'm willing to risk losing more playing time for Trey knowing how much I believe in his potential. Everything we all hoped Trey could add to this offense, Purdy is doing to perfection. I would still keep Trey knowing how awful we are at keeping QBs healthy in this regime and I still believe in Trey, no shame in saying that.

TLDR, I'm at the point where I'm okay with no competition next season due to Purdy's play. I don't see the problem with a competition, but I feel like Purdy's playing so well, it's hard to argue he shouldn't be named the outright starter.
Originally posted by father49er:
Let's enjoy Purdy's play. Jimmy and Trey are good in their own ways, but only Purdy is available now, so rally around Purdy.

That is a beautiful idea and I support it. But this is the Webzone
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
This blows up any narrative that ppl were 'JG lovers' or such nonsense. It's about winning games. Whoever gives us the best shot to win. I can forgive Goatie for not knowing we have Mahomes on the bench all year disguised as Mr Irrelevant.

No one saw this coming folks.

BuT what people did see coming is the offense could get better with an upgrade at qb. Now we didn't know that would come from Brock but this is exactly why some of us wanted to move on.

The fact that no one knew what Mr. Irrelevent can do shows why making sweeping statements about how a guy will perform in the future is dumb. Don't confuse not seeing it yet with not being possible.

Cant do that because the Trey thread got closed so the guys who want to troll Lance have migrated to here to post the same thing over and over.

Cant do that because the Trey thread got closed so the guys who are Lanceling Absolutists have come here to post the same stuff over and over.

There it is fixed now.
There it is fixed now.

Those Lancelling absolutist who want him to compete for the job are exactly the same as those like yourself that want him cut or traded for peanuts.
  • thl408
Talk ball or gtfo.

Cant do that because the Trey thread got closed so the guys who want to troll Lance have migrated to here to post the same thing over and over.

There's a feature on other message forums, where obvious trolls (or folks who post in bad faith) are banned from posting in specific threads.

On this forum I believe you can be banned from certain sections (9er talk, NFL talk, etc)... but not from threads... or at least I haven't seen it.

I feel that feature should be added to this site (or switched on?), and it doesn't have to be a permanent banning... can just be weeks or months. If they are constantly being banned from threads then well you know what should be next .
He seems to have developed a tendency to escape left out of the pocket when pressured. It showed up a lot Saturday. Is this something that teams will notice and try to gamelan for? Anything to be worried about here?
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
He seems to have developed a tendency to escape left out of the pocket when pressured. It showed up a lot Saturday. Is this something that teams will notice and try to gamelan for? Anything to be worried about here?

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

Why does it matter? What are you afraid of?

If it's so clear to you Brock is far superior to Trey any "open competition" will result in Brock winning it easily and being named the starter regardless right?

So if Mahomes and Burrow have to go through an "open competition" next season, and they're annoyed by that, they are afraid? I disagree. Purdy has already earned QB1 status for next season. A competition is unnecessary and would take away first team reps that would prepare him for the regular season.

Comparing Brock to Mahomes and Burrow? Lmao dude. Mahomes is a champion and Burrow a #1 overall pick. We happen to have a #3 overall pick on the roster that got injured through no fault of his own - not like we have Zach Wilson on the roster playing like s**t for two years and looking non-functional.

Talk to me if Brock wins the Super Bowl. Which I desperately hope he does.

I'm down with whatever Shanahan thinks. If he thinks Brock has earned QB1 and no competition is necessary I'm good with that as he has seen more of both qbs in practice than you or I could ever hope to see. I want whoever Kyle thinks will be the best qb in the near term AND long term. If that's Brock let's do it. If he thinks it's Trey though he should go with that. I just want whoever will be considered the most elite qb five years from now not just in the current moment.

But I'm sure as hell not going by your thoughts and proclamations on the matter.

Very curious to see how the offseason goes.

The bolded is the ONLY reason you're arguing for a competition. Swap their draft slots and you wouldn't even be mentioning Trey. Putting Purdy through a competition after what he's done this season would be somewhat insulting in my opinion. I doubt Kyle would do that but he may massage the language to make it appear that way. Good way to elevate Trey's trade value.

Yes and no. It is because I like what I have seen from Lance so far for being so inexperienced and project his upside to be a top 5 qb level qb in the NFL.

There was a REASON Trey was drafted at #3. He has superior athletic talent and physical gifts that Purdy does not have. If Trey was not on the roster obv Purdy is the starter going forward based on his elite play so far In an albeit small sample size.

I certainly get that those who never liked Trey would think it's Brock's job now as QB1 but don't forget Kyle picked Trey and wanted Trey and likes Trey a lot and Trey was replaced due to injury not poor play.

Brock is awesome and I think Trey can be just as awesome and maybe even MORE awesome. If Kyle doesn't belive that then sure why go with Trey if Brock is already playing at Trey's ceiling? But the question is what does Shanahan believe Trey's ceiling is? If it's what we are already getting from Brock then Brock is QB1 for sure going into next year. I would love to know Shanahan's true thoughts on this.

But let's agree to be good with whatever Shanahan decides - because I am.

Damn! Some people are just super obsessed with Trey like some are also same with Jimmy. I hope you guys are still getting sleep time and normal life.

Dude comes to the Brock thread after a historic playoff thread and starts going on and on about Trey Lance.

LOL

Umm many in here are taking jabs at Lance here in the Brock thread and also saying QB1 for the next eecade etc etc so I am responding to those.

I also said I love Brock and how he is playing and how he is showing that it was Jommy the whole time holding the offense back which those not infatuated with him already knew and have been saying for years.

Brock is awesome and no one was going more crazy than I was at the game on Saturday when Brock was smokin the Seahawks with his off schedule brilliance.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Gotta learn to step up more consistently. There are windows up in the pocket. He will learn.
Share 49ersWebzone