There are 247 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
He seems to have developed a tendency to escape left out of the pocket when pressured. It showed up a lot Saturday. Is this something that teams will notice and try to gamelan for? Anything to be worried about here?

He escaped right on the Mitch TD pass and on the near BA TD pass he escaped I think left first then right on that one.. no imo. He's turns to a diamond under pressure.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He seems to have developed a tendency to escape left out of the pocket when pressured. It showed up a lot Saturday. Is this something that teams will notice and try to gamelan for? Anything to be worried about here?

He escaped right on the Mitch TD pass and on the near BA TD pass he escaped I think left first then right on that one.. no imo. He's turns to a diamond under pressure.

Hmmm, I thought he went left first, then back to the right on both of those plays.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Jan 16, 2023 at 3:16 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:
because of the CBA, there's just not a lot of reps to waste in camp and preseason for what in essence would be a search for a starting QB. if Brock wins the Super Bowl, i'd think that question would be already answered.

IF he wins the Super Bowl. IF.

That's still three more wins and likely one against KC that already destroyed us this year. And prob one in Philly in hostile territory vs a legit squad.

But yes if he does that sure I'd agree. And I hope he does. And I think he can.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
The Trey cult is relentless

I'm a big Jimmy G fan but I'm riding with BCB to the Super Bowl and beyond

It is weird that some cannot give up a lost cause when glory is staring them in the face.

Each to their own. The avalanche of results will sway the doubters in the end.

Glory is winning the Super Bowl. When we win the SB it will be staring me in the face.

My sentiment will likely change if Brock brings home #6 in similar impressive fashion that he has been showing.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
because of the CBA, there's just not a lot of reps to waste in camp and preseason for what in essence would be a search for a starting QB. if Brock wins the Super Bowl, i'd think that question would be already answered.

That's still three more wins and likely one against KC that already destroyed us this year. And prob one in Philly in hostile territory vs a legit squad.

If he wins it in the fashion he played with the 2nd half, I think he'd surely have stated his case to Shanny as to why he should attach his career to him.

If he wins it in the fashion he played with in the 1st half,....then, meh. Shany's gonna do whatever he'd already wanted to do.

@ the end of the day, context matters. Not simply "win" or "lose",...but how you played from an evaluation standpoint.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wanna see brock start throwing better deep balls, he keeps under throwing his guys, its a constant theme now after 7 games

i dont think its lack of arm strength, i think hes just trying to be too fine with his throws, he needs to see it quicker and let it fly

Constant.

yes

Hmmm, I thought he went left first, then back to the right on both of those plays.

Maybe would have to rewatch.. point I was getting to that I may not have made as well I would have liked, is he was comfortable throwing while on the move right on both those. I would think where he escapes is a function of where the heat is coming from. He has impressed me with all the platforms he throws from. Certainly a next gen QB. Since Mahomes, QBs coming up now work on a whole bunch of different arm angles and platforms. Mahomes changed the game the way Steph changed the NBA. If you can be unfased by pressure and don't need a clean pocket to put it downfield with accuracy from a bunch of different spots, that's how you become unstoppable.
Originally posted by random49er:

If he wins it in the fashion he played with the 2nd half, I think he'd surely have stated his case to Shanny as to why he should attach his career to him.

If he wins it in the fashion he played with in the 1st half,....then, meh. Shany's gonna do whatever he'd already wanted to do.

@ the end of the day, context matters. Not simply "win" or "lose",...but how you played from an evaluation standpoint.

Im good with whatever Shanahan wants. Just happy the peeps in here aren't making that decision.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wanna see brock start throwing better deep balls, he keeps under throwing his guys, its a constant theme now after 7 games

i dont think its lack of arm strength, i think hes just trying to be too fine with his throws, he needs to see it quicker and let it fly

A lot of them are just a beat late. The timing isn't quite there, which can be expected. He didn't get first team reps with some of these receivers until late in the season and, overall, he's a young QB.

The more chemistry he gets with his receivers, he'll better understand when they'll break open. As he gets more experience, he'll be more decisive. During the offseason, he'll fine-tune his mechanics to hopefully get the ball out faster.

yep that's what i'm hoping
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

When people were saying that a Jimmy G Super Bowl win would warrant his return to the 49ers on a long-term contract... I repeatedly said something like this:

I said that it was possible that Jimmy could prove to me that he should be the long-term starter without winning a playoff game and conversely, Jimmy could prove to me that we should stay the course with Trey Lance, even after winning the Super Bowl. This stance I've realized is vastly different from most posters because most would assume you would have to play great to win playoff games, especially a super bowl win. My stance is that this team is a unicorn, we have a top 3 coaching staff, we know we without throwing the ball, and that we have a history of relying on great defensive play to win in the postseason. It's not inconceivable for this team to win a Super Bowl with subpar QB play... and its entirely possible the team around Jimmy could have a bad game and tarnish a great effort from him individually.

I'm not bringing up Jimmy to hate on him, I bring him up because it's the exact same standard I have towards Purdy. I think it's important to isolate a player's impact to the team, at the best of your ability. A lot of fans get caught up in wins and losses, but they ignore other context that's crucial to understanding a QBs individual value to the team. Whoever gives us the best chance to win now and in the future is who I want as the starter.

To me, what Purdy is doing right now is exceeding MY standard. And that standard is to play at such a high level that I'm willing to risk losing more playing time for Trey knowing how much I believe in his potential. Everything we all hoped Trey could add to this offense, Purdy is doing to perfection. I would still keep Trey knowing how awful we are at keeping QBs healthy in this regime and I still believe in Trey, no shame in saying that.

TLDR, I'm at the point where I'm okay with no competition next season due to Purdy's play. I don't see the problem with a competition, but I feel like Purdy's playing so well, it's hard to argue he shouldn't be named the outright starter.

That is a reasonable post.

Purdy is playing better than anyone has in Kyle's system at the 49ers.

The question is what happens to Trey?

First, Purdy might regress but the odds of that are slim.

Second, Purdy might get injured. That is a real possibility given the nature of the NFL and QB injuries. He has been injured once and maybe that could happen again soon or might not happen for years. This is a random thing and can happen at any time so the team has to be prepared with a good back up.

Third, so who is the best back up?

Injuries aside we have Johnson, JG and Lance on the roster atm. If JG were to stay he is the best back up on prior performance. He won 70% of his games this year and 67% over his time here of games played. Lance is not up to JGs standard of play as of today and will not get there before next season starts.

The question is of course, will JG stay or go elsewhere. Odds are he is gone. The likelihood of him getting a big money offer somewhere else is high. He was playing the best football of his career until his foot got stomped. There are a lot of teams QB hungry at the moment. Of course there is also a chance JG would be happy to stay for back up money. Some people do not understand that he is a rich man earning well over $100,000,000 in his time here. A rich man who does not need to earn more money in his life will make decision based on what makes them happy over just making more money. To think a guy of JG's wealth and character would make a decision based just on making more money is really trapped in a "poor man's" mindset. FO and Kyle would be more than happy for JG to stick around as a back up if they could get him at a good price. So there is an avenue where he stays but this is low odds.

The move would result in seamless transitions if Purdy went down.

With Lance it would not be seamless but would involve changing the scheme to suit his style and level of play. Trey might have improved his game between when he starts running around again and the start of next season but it is hard to see that happening where he will be, at least at first, trying to get back to the level of mobility to where he was when he got injured.

It is quite possible he will be more frightened when he comes back due to his injury. He may note change direction as well and be more a statue in the pocket. It may take a season or two to lose that fear.

All the time Purdy is getting more and more experience.

Overall, I do not think Lance will be the best back up for Purdy or the team.

He is not going to get the reps to develop and is a bit of a lame duck.

The scouts could be looking around for a new low draft or free agent QB to start next year. Who knows? That might be the best option for Purdy's back up.

Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

It's pretty awesome to use the full field and see someone extend plays…I wish his arm talent was a little better BUT he seems to have that it factor. Let's win this b***h
Originally posted by NYniner85:
It's pretty awesome to use the full field and see someone extend plays…I wish his arm talent was a little better BUT he seems to have that it factor. Let's win this b***h

I do too but it's better than Mullens or Mckorkle so it allows him to make the necessary throws that get picked when the other dudes throw em.

Biggest thing he has to keep reminding himself is keep the good mechanics, even on the movement plays. When he doesn't his balls float a bit.

thanks for reading the post and understanding my point thoroughly.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

That 50 yard dart to Kittle showed great arm strength. What more do you want? lol

Last game, Purdy was pressured 25% of his drop backs. He is as def rolling out the back a lot on his left, I think teams are banking on that now.

i expect that Kyle and Griese will coach him up because quite a few of those - he should of stepped up in the pocket (at least from what I could see).

this isn't a slight at JG but I really think there is a good chance we lose if he was playing - he would of been sacked numerous times.
Share 49ersWebzone