There are 243 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Goatie:
That 50 yard dart to Kittle showed great arm strength. What more do you want? lol

No that doesn't. Talking about velocity is much different then throwing downfield in a perfect pocket.

I don't care a ton about velo. Montana, Brees, Brady none of em had a cannon. TB has worked on it pretty darn impressively over the years. Certainly fits our style of YAC you don't need a howitzer for YAC.

That's fine if you don't care. Others do.

Brady's arm was better than Brock's coming into the league. Brees is one of the most accurate QBs in NFL history. Same with Joe. Brock is super young, but isn't close to that yet…look man Brock is playing damn good and at this point is the dude here. His arm talent isn't to the level of some the other top tier guys, it's okay but it's also okay to realize that…he can improve there as well.
Originally posted by boast:
this thread will try to convince you that a QB can only be really talented if they are tall and possess a canon for an arm.

Or some people can be objective and honest about a player. Doesn't mean he sucks or can't be great.

love a lot about the kid, wish he had a better arm that's all.
That 50 yard dart to Kittle showed great arm strength. What more do you want? lol

No that doesn't. Talking about velocity is much different then throwing downfield in a perfect pocket.

I don't care a ton about velo. Montana, Brees, Brady none of em had a cannon. TB has worked on it pretty darn impressively over the years. Certainly fits our style of YAC you don't need a howitzer for YAC.

Brady's arm was better than Brock's coming into the league. Brees is one of the most accurate QBs in NFL history. Same with Joe. Brock is super young, but isn't close to that yet…look man Brock is playing damn good and at this point is the dude here. His arm talent isn't to the level of some the other top tier guys, it's okay but it's also okay to realize that…he can improve there as well.

As mentioned earlier BP has some off platform stuff that those others didn't have in there arsenal. Velo from a QB is overrated. Every top bust has a cannon and no clue what to do with it.

He has to arc it on deep throws.

The deep throw to Jennings was probably the limit of what his arm can do.

He can improve it by seeing it and throwing earlier...throwing 1/2 a second sooner is just as good as high velocity
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

You would like to think that in the off season he trains on mechanics and arm strength.

The only thing I dont see is mastery of the KS O yet (IE some questionable throws in the middle or missing some open guys)

I think this is NOT alarming and just growing into the O.

IF he continues this pace he will master the O and continue to improve.

Wish he had the whole season to cut his teeth as he is likely to see some crazy confusing D as we get deeper in the playoffs.
this thread will try to convince you that a QB can only be really talented if they are tall and possess a canon for an arm.

Or some people can be objective and honest about a player. Doesn't mean he sucks or can't be great.

some claim Brock doesnt have a lot a talent. do you hold that belief?
As mentioned earlier BP has some off platform stuff that those others didn't have in there arsenal. Velo from a QB is overrated. Every top bust has a cannon and no clue what to do with it.

Lol I swear before you said off platform stuff is overrated when we discussed all this (and Jimmy was the starter).

I can name a ton of 1st rd picks with noodle arms that were busts all the same.

You know what's really cool? A guy who has a clue how to use his cannon arm. Why is that such a bad thing to want? Love a lot of what Brock does, which his arm talent was better that's all.
having a cannon for an arm is so overrated

mahomes & allen have seriously ruined peoples brains
some claim Brock doesnt have a lot a talent. do you hold that belief?

Where did I say that?

I imagine this type of post from a Pats fan in 2001 postseason

TB12 was drafted 6th round for a reason. Mooch brought him to a workout in the Bay Area with local area kids, he did nothing to distinguish himself. You can work on arm strength, it's called pliability. That or roids but I'll give TB12 the benefit of the doubt and say it's pliability training and avocado ice cream. Go back to his Bucs champ he was firing high velo rockets. So you can certainly improve this over time with reps, prax, muscle training etc.

Chris Simms clown ass said Purdy is a poor man's Mac Jones. Idiotic take, Mac is trash compared to Brock.
I think Purdy has a lot of skills, and have the potential to be an excellent player. He doesn't have a low ceiling at all.

He is an accurate thrower from short to deep. He can beat you throwing shot underneath routes patiently. He can can beat you throwing intermediate and deep routes. He has the accuracy to throw in tight window, which is essential in the RedZone.
He has mobility, throws well on the run and off platform, can make things happen when nothing is there.
While he doesn't look to run often, and doesn't have great speed in longer distance, the DC cannot ignore his mobility because he has elite short distance burst to get you a first down on a 3rd and 8 with his legs. The pass rush has to be discipline or you need a spy.
He can clearly read defense and go through the progression.
Mobile QB often gets a lot of sacks. He hasn't have this issue so far.
He hasn't fumbles the ball all season. He can feel the pocket and don't get surprise by a rusher hitting him from behind.
Despite his height, he doesn't have issues with batted passes. He knows how to get it off. (Justin Herbert is tall and can throw off platform, but he doesn't know how to get the pass off). It is one of those overlooked intangibles.
He is a leader, well liked, and has the respect from his teammates.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Jan 16, 2023 at 4:26 PM ]

No one said only,...that's made up. But on size, arm, mobility, etc.,...I dont think that's coming from this thread:

[Greg] Cook played like a veteran right away, demonstrating a strong arm and the wits and agility to get out of the pocket.

Offensive coordinator Bill Walsh, who would coach Hall of Famers Joe Montana and Steve Young, once said, "Greg Cook was, I believe, the greatest talent to play the position. He was Steve Young, but bigger. He could play today or any time in the history of the NFL. While he played he was the best there was."

Cook was listed @ 6'4", 220 lbs.

I say leave it to experts like Bill Walsh to decide what a talented QB looks like and we can then discuss it here instead of pretending like we have it all figured out.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

When people were saying that a Jimmy G Super Bowl win would warrant his return to the 49ers on a long-term contract... I repeatedly said something like this:

I said that it was possible that Jimmy could prove to me that he should be the long-term starter without winning a playoff game and conversely, Jimmy could prove to me that we should stay the course with Trey Lance, even after winning the Super Bowl. This stance I've realized is vastly different from most posters because most would assume you would have to play great to win playoff games, especially a super bowl win. My stance is that this team is a unicorn, we have a top 3 coaching staff, we know we without throwing the ball, and that we have a history of relying on great defensive play to win in the postseason. It's not inconceivable for this team to win a Super Bowl with subpar QB play... and its entirely possible the team around Jimmy could have a bad game and tarnish a great effort from him individually.

I'm not bringing up Jimmy to hate on him, I bring him up because it's the exact same standard I have towards Purdy. I think it's important to isolate a player's impact to the team, at the best of your ability. A lot of fans get caught up in wins and losses, but they ignore other context that's crucial to understanding a QBs individual value to the team. Whoever gives us the best chance to win now and in the future is who I want as the starter.

To me, what Purdy is doing right now is exceeding MY standard. And that standard is to play at such a high level that I'm willing to risk losing more playing time for Trey knowing how much I believe in his potential. Everything we all hoped Trey could add to this offense, Purdy is doing to perfection. I would still keep Trey knowing how awful we are at keeping QBs healthy in this regime and I still believe in Trey, no shame in saying that.

TLDR, I'm at the point where I'm okay with no competition next season due to Purdy's play. I don't see the problem with a competition, but I feel like Purdy's playing so well, it's hard to argue he shouldn't be named the outright starter.

Great post and well said. I agree completely.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
If throwing 3 TDs and 300 plus yards in a playoff blowout of a hated rival, all to wide open receivers was so easy then why hasn't Jimmy been able to do it?

I think David Lombardi said something like all the 49er receivers were averaging 15+ yards per catch. That's insane, but that also makes sense if Kyle is seeing that Purdy can hit those deep targets accurately. If a QB like Purdy can accurately hit those deep targets, you take advantage of that and draw up deeper patterns. The question I have is do you change the offense to suit Purdy's long ball accuracy, or do you stay with the positionless football that Kyle currently has. There's strengths and weaknesses for both approaches.

From what I saw when Trey was in, these frequent PAs are not a change from play calls with Trey, but a change from Jimmy. The one thing that will definitely be gone with this "positionless football" thing is the QB power. Thank God. Purdy ain't built for that.

Agree 💯% with you on that. The oblique and rib injury was a result of him diving for a first down. I'm more than happy Kyle's not going to call QB power for Brock.

I can see Kyle drawing up deeper pass patterns for Brock if he can hit those deep passes the way Brees could. But I don't see him straying too far from the positionless football that he's currently designed the offense to be right now. Kyle will always power his offense with a strong ground game first. I'm still a big fan of Trey. I think he still can develop and give Brock some competition next year. We shall see.
Share 49ersWebzone