There are 232 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
having a cannon for an arm is so overrated

mahomes & allen have seriously ruined peoples brains

Marino, Elway, Rogers, Favre, Stafford, Herbert, Kelly all had elite arms. Doesn't mean Brock stinks man…it's a pretty nice attribute to have as a NFL QB, I don't see why these is such a sensitive thing?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by boast:
some claim Brock doesnt have a lot a talent. do you hold that belief?

Where did I say that?

i didnt. why do think im asking?

my post was relating to those who have.
[ Edited by boast on Jan 16, 2023 at 4:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Chris Simms clown ass said Purdy is a poor man's Mac Jones. Idiotic take, Mac is trash compared to Brock.

Chris Simms clown ass said Purdy is a poor man's Mac Jones. Idiotic take, Mac is trash compared to Brock.

Wow, I think most everyone would agree that's a garbage take. But don't forget there are still some major McCorkle fans right here.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
He seems to have developed a tendency to escape left out of the pocket when pressured. It showed up a lot Saturday. Is this something that teams will notice and try to gamelan for? Anything to be worried about here?

Marino, Elway, Rogers, Favre, Stafford, Herbert, Kelly all had elite arms. Doesn't mean Brock stinks man…it's a pretty nice attribute to have as a NFL QB, I don't see why these is such a sensitive thing?

It comes off like this.. couple months ago no one knew who this guy was now he's a cross between Mahomes and Montana / Brees and you're out here wishing he was throwing like Elway, listen if he had Elway's arm he wouldn't be wearing our uni. He would have flown off the board sooner.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I think if you throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry with your receivers. I think that trumps laser rocket arm any day.
Originally posted by random49er:
this thread will try to convince you that a QB can only be really talented if they are tall and possess a canon for an arm.

No one said only,...that's made up. But on size, arm, mobility, etc.,...I dont think that's coming from this thread:

[Greg] Cook played like a veteran right away, demonstrating a strong arm and the wits and agility to get out of the pocket.

Offensive coordinator Bill Walsh, who would coach Hall of Famers Joe Montana and Steve Young, once said, "Greg Cook was, I believe, the greatest talent to play the position. He was Steve Young, but bigger. He could play today or any time in the history of the NFL. While he played he was the best there was."

Cook was listed @ 6'4", 220 lbs.

I say leave it to experts like Bill Walsh to decide what a talented QB looks like and we can then discuss it here instead of pretending like we have it all figured out.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I imagine this type of post from a Pats fan in 2001 postseason

TB12 was drafted 6th round for a reason. Mooch brought him to a workout in the Bay Area with local area kids, he did nothing to distinguish himself. You can work on arm strength, it's called pliability. That or roids but I'll give TB12 the benefit of the doubt and say it's pliability training and avocado ice cream. Go back to his Bucs champ he was firing high velo rockets. So you can certainly improve this over time with reps, prax, muscle training etc.

Why is everything Tom Brady? Why you gotta change the topic? Brady had a better arm coming into the league.

it's okay man. Brock has other get attributes. Nothing wrong with wanting better arm talent…we don't have to be sensitive about it
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I think if you throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry with your receivers. I think that trumps laser rocket arm any day.

+1

the ability to throw off platform any spot on the field and drop dimes with relentless pressure in his face that's what makes BP special, plus he keeps eyes downfield while 'feeling' the rush like on the BA incomplete, that's more special

some claim Brock doesnt have a lot a talent. do you hold that belief?

Where did I say that?

This is probably a "word salad" game. The verbiage used was that Brock has "loads of talent",...and whether or not you say yes to it or no to it.

To each his own on just what the threshold for loads of talent is and whether or not you think Brock has it,...lol. It doesn't amount to anything tangible in the end and is just something silly to argue about.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I imagine this type of post from a Pats fan in 2001 postseason

TB12 was drafted 6th round for a reason. Mooch brought him to a workout in the Bay Area with local area kids, he did nothing to distinguish himself. You can work on arm strength, it's called pliability. That or roids but I'll give TB12 the benefit of the doubt and say it's pliability training and avocado ice cream. Go back to his Bucs champ he was firing high velo rockets. So you can certainly improve this over time with reps, prax, muscle training etc.

Why is everything Tom Brady? Why you gotta change the topic? Brady had a better arm coming into the league.

it's okay man. Brock has other get attributes. Nothing wrong with wanting better arm talent…we don't have to be sensitive about it

An example of someone who improved the arm over time. MLB pitchers do it all the time you can add velo to your fastball if you work on it.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Wow, I think most everyone would agree that's a garbage take. But don't forget there are still some major McCorkle fans right here.

yeah he said it in the context of purdy making all these accurate throws and he was like "thats why they should have drafted mac jones". hes such a 🤡 but acts like hes so smart.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Giedi:
If throwing 3 TDs and 300 plus yards in a playoff blowout of a hated rival, all to wide open receivers was so easy then why hasn't Jimmy been able to do it?

I think David Lombardi said something like all the 49er receivers were averaging 15+ yards per catch. That's insane, but that also makes sense if Kyle is seeing that Purdy can hit those deep targets accurately. If a QB like Purdy can accurately hit those deep targets, you take advantage of that and draw up deeper patterns. The question I have is do you change the offense to suit Purdy's long ball accuracy, or do you stay with the positionless football that Kyle currently has. There's strengths and weaknesses for both approaches.

From what I saw when Trey was in, these frequent PAs are not a change from play calls with Trey, but a change from Jimmy. The one thing that will definitely be gone with this "positionless football" thing is the QB power. Thank God. Purdy ain't built for that.

That QB power was installed because not only could Trey not run the rythm passing game at a high enough level, he also wasn't fast or savvy enough to get the edge when we ran those zone reads the inverted way for him last season.

I'm one of those that think Trey will improve with more reps. I think he will get more reps, because as a backup QB, you need to give your backup QB reps to make sure he can take over if QB1 is dinged. I don't know if Trey needs a lot of Rythm passing, if he has such a strong ground game to rely on. 3rd and two is a lot easier to deal with than 3rd and 8. The play action will open those passing windows up wide for Trey to launch his rocket through.

Purdy is definitely in synch with Kyle, and his synchronicity with Kyle was evident on that fourth quarter blow out of Seattle. Purdy's first 300+ yard game against a defense ranked 13th against the pass. Wow!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

All that's being said is what's wrong with wishing he had both? You can throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry all while having a cannon as well.
Share 49ersWebzone