There are 318 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Maybe this is already common knowledge, but it came as news to me. It appears that by virtue of playing out his contract, becoming a free agent, and then signing a contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, CJ Beathard earned the 49ers a 7th round compensatory pick in 2022, that pick was 262.

Things sure have a funny way of working out

I finally understand why Kyle traded up in the 3rd round for that scrub

The Beathard Prophecy

We can't be too hard on the guy in light of this revelation.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
having a cannon for an arm is so overrated

mahomes & allen have seriously ruined peoples brains

I think if you throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry with your receivers. I think that trumps laser rocket arm any day.

All that's being said is what's wrong with wishing he had both? You can throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry all while having a cannon as well.

Yeah imagine if Joe Montana had Dan Marino's arm talent. Then he would have been a REALLY good quarterback!

Am I doing it right?

Man you guys are so sensitive lol.

Oh boy. LoL. Only thing I can ration is that there are a handful here that miss that "Us. vs. Them" stuff from Jimmy's thread,...and are trying to recreate it here in this one, even though pretty much everyone is onboard and enjoying the postseason.

Admitting that he's not among the most talented QBs in the game has somehow became a crime, because, what else we gonna gripe and argue about?
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 16, 2023 at 4:53 PM ]
Brock has shown he can make just about every throw on the field. He may not absolutely blow you away with a cross body hash to hash throw 50 yard bomb, but that isn't necessary to be a great QB.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I'm so tired of hearing these talking heads go on and on about how Purdy doesn't have to do anything but get the ball to the playmakers. Lol I love that all of a sudden - it isn't the most difficult position to play in sports, specifically for a rookie.

Chris simms just called Purdy a lesser version of Mac Jones. Wtf? Purdy is significantly better than he ever was in the pros so far. Mac also can't run to save his life.

huh???? he didnt.
Originally posted by random49er:
Oh boy. LoL. Only thing I can ration is that there are a handful here that miss that "Us. vs. Them" stuff from Jimmy's thread,...and are trying to create it here in this one, even though pretty much everyone is onboard and enjoying the postseason.

Admitting that he's not among the most talented QBs in the game has somehow became a crime, because, what else we gonna gripe and argue about?

Good thing combine talent (see Leaf, Russell, Z Wilson) isn't what playing NFL QB is all about
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

Why does it matter? What are you afraid of?

If it's so clear to you Brock is far superior to Trey any "open competition" will result in Brock winning it easily and being named the starter regardless right?

So if Mahomes and Burrow have to go through an "open competition" next season, and they're annoyed by that, they are afraid? I disagree. Purdy has already earned QB1 status for next season. A competition is unnecessary and would take away first team reps that would prepare him for the regular season.

Comparing Brock to Mahomes and Burrow? Lmao dude. Mahomes is a champion and Burrow a #1 overall pick. We happen to have a #3 overall pick on the roster that got injured through no fault of his own - not like we have Zach Wilson on the roster playing like s**t for two years and looking non-functional.

Talk to me if Brock wins the Super Bowl. Which I desperately hope he does.

I'm down with whatever Shanahan thinks. If he thinks Brock has earned QB1 and no competition is necessary I'm good with that as he has seen more of both qbs in practice than you or I could ever hope to see. I want whoever Kyle thinks will be the best qb in the near term AND long term. If that's Brock let's do it. If he thinks it's Trey though he should go with that. I just want whoever will be considered the most elite qb five years from now not just in the current moment.

But I'm sure as hell not going by your thoughts and proclamations on the matter.

Very curious to see how the offseason goes.

Brock has to win a SB to be compared to Burrow. Yet Burrow has not won a SB.

Yea Ezekiel38's stance is odd.
1st he is basing his assessment on draft status stating Burrows is a #1 pick and lance is a #3 so they HAVE to be better then Purdy.

Also, If Lance would have had 3-4 games like Purdy did, him and others would have declared him a FQB with no competition necessary. However, since draft status matters to him, and Purdy was a low draft pick, as he has stated, "Purdy needs to win the SB in a dominating fashion" to be declared a FQB.

Such Silly takes.

All bold lol

I said it is the REASONS behind him being a #3 overall pick that is why I want to see more. I liked what I saw from Lance so far.

Purdy may be better than Lance long term but he may not be. We just don't know. I like Brock as much as anyone in here - he's playing great ball.

Y'all acting like we have Zach Wilson on the bench still playing like doo doo for almost two years. Obv Purdy is better than the #2 pick in the draft so in that sense draft status means nothing anymore because we have actually seen what Zach Wilson is. We have not seen barely anything with Trey. I think Trey could do everything Brock is doing if he had started all year.

Who will be considered the better qb five years from now? I'm certainly not ready to claim that Brock will ultimately be the more elite qb five years from now. I want whoever that is and if it is Brock then great I love it as we found the needed upgrade from the trash heap that was Jimmy in the playoffs.

If you think it is so clear it will be as you say and Brock will be annointed the starter right away when OTAs begin. And I'm fine with that as I'm good with whatever Kyle
these guys would of started Bledsoe over Brady in 2001 too. Lol "Bledsoe was the #1 pick! We just made him the highest paid qb in nfl!. Brady was a 6th round pick! Come on! He doesn't have as strong as an arm, not as athletic!"

lol sound familiar? Thank god they only get to draft during fantasy football
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
having a cannon for an arm is so overrated

mahomes & allen have seriously ruined peoples brains

I think if you throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry with your receivers. I think that trumps laser rocket arm any day.

All that's being said is what's wrong with wishing he had both? You can throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry all while having a cannon as well.

Yeah imagine if Joe Montana had Dan Marino's arm talent. Then he would have been a REALLY good quarterback!

Am I doing it right?

To me sure I understand the sentiment.. also I think wow this man has given me as a fan 100x more than I expected from him this season. I can't ask anymore than what he has already given. He has gone 100x above and beyond this season it's insane. You can wait a lifetime as a fan and not see a last pick QB ball out like this.

Exactly! I don't understand how certain people aren't absolutely giddy about what we're witnessing.
I think all 49er fans are giddy about Purdy right now. But, its also not wrong to say what if, along with his ability to throw the short pass, escape the pass rush, know when to throw the ball away, and have great instinct for the game, he had a Mahomes kind of arm to really drill the ball into tight spaces. But honestly, if had that he would have been the 1st player picked in the draft rather than Mr. Irrelevant. Dont think its taking anything away from how happy 49er fans are with him so far.
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I imagine this type of post from a Pats fan in 2001 postseason

TB12 was drafted 6th round for a reason. Mooch brought him to a workout in the Bay Area with local area kids, he did nothing to distinguish himself. You can work on arm strength, it's called pliability. That or roids but I'll give TB12 the benefit of the doubt and say it's pliability training and avocado ice cream. Go back to his Bucs champ he was firing high velo rockets. So you can certainly improve this over time with reps, prax, muscle training etc.

Why is everything Tom Brady? Why you gotta change the topic? Brady had a better arm coming into the league.

it's okay man. Brock has other get attributes. Nothing wrong with wanting better arm talent…we don't have to be sensitive about it

Montana, Young and Brees didn't have elite arm strength at all. Much better arms than those in NFL history and even in their time era.

If you compare them directly Purdy has just about the same arm strength as Montana. It's nearly identical. Good enough when you have the other skills that they both possess.

Yes I agree. He can be a Montana or Brees type. He has some of those qualities. He has the head game and accuracy. Reads the field well. Calm under pressure. Can create off schedule. He has everything you need. Absolutely everything.
I'm so tired of hearing these talking heads go on and on about how Purdy doesn't have to do anything but get the ball to the playmakers. Lol I love that all of a sudden - it isn't the most difficult position to play in sports, specifically for a rookie.

Chris simms just called Purdy a lesser version of Mac Jones. Wtf? Purdy is significantly better than he ever was in the pros so far. Mac also can't run to save his life.

LOL. He's much better than Mac Jones. I don't think it's close.
Saying Brock can't be elite because he lacks measurables is like saying Steph Curry will never be elite because he isn't built like Lebron. Football is a skill based game in the end, and elite skill can make up for deficiencies in measurables.

Originally posted by random49er:
Oh boy. LoL. Only thing I can ration is that there are a handful here that miss that "Us. vs. Them" stuff from Jimmy's thread,...and are trying to create it here in this one, even though pretty much everyone is onboard and enjoying the postseason.

Good thing combine talent (see Leaf, Russell, Z Wilson) isn't what playing NFL QB is all about

We've seen that over and over again.

What you're saying isin't breaking news to anybody. Fire starters are just busy searching for something, so I guess the new thing is to force everyone that posts to say he's an extremely talented QB with a huge ceiling?

I mean yea....let's see where this one ends up, lol.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 16, 2023 at 4:56 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

huh???? he didnt.

https://youtu.be/nqZMDyK40IQ start at 5:3
lmao they mention how people are not going to like that.
simms is just mad he was a s**t qb and ride his daddies name. Lol
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 16, 2023 at 4:57 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

LOL. He's much better than Mac Jones. I don't think it's close.
I think he has better instincts for the position than Jones has thats for sure
Saying Brock can't be elite because he lacks measurables is like saying Steph Curry will never be elite because he isn't built like Lebron. Football is a skill based game in the end, and elite skill can make up for deficiencies in measurables.

Who said Brock can't be elite? Maybe I missed that one?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
God forbid I want Drew Brees mixed with Justin Herbert lol. How dare a fan want that at QB lol.

I'm team Brock, but I'm just keeping it real.

Brock ain't that though

maybe lance will, still yet to be seen
Share 49ersWebzone