There are 316 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think all 49er fans are giddy about Purdy right now. But, its also not wrong to say what if, along with his ability to throw the short pass, escape the pass rush, know when to throw the ball away, and have great instinct for the game, he had a Mahomes kind of arm to really drill the ball into tight spaces. But honestly, if had that he would have been the 1st player picked in the draft rather than Mr. Irrelevant. Dont think its taking anything away from how happy 49er fans are with him so far.

One thing about Mahomes he's on the 2nd contract. Which is a reason why T Hill was on a rival AFC club this season. Purdy got the cheapest 4 year deal you can get. Mahomes nearly makes as much in a game as Brock will make over the life of his 4 year contract.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Discussed last night but good to see consensus forming that BCB made the right call

What exactly did the safety nail down? Deebo was WIDE open.

Kyle said he prefers QBs to read deep to short. Do you see how the safety runs toward the line of scrimmage? "Deep to short" means throw it to Aiyuk. There are MILES of empty space back there to fit the ball. But Aiyuk stopped running the route.

that route combination has been around since the 1960s... not all combos are progressed top to bottom, just depends on the concept and the coverage...

safety dictated where the ball was to go, he was the post snap key defender to read... safety did not drop back, once BCB saw that he knew he was throwing post, that is how the concept is structured... doesn't matter that Debo was open because the #1 progression (post) was open for a TD and that is where the ball needed to go

the play has many names but often referred to as a post-dig, it progresses #1 post, #2 dig/crosser, #3 usually a drag b y TE or shallow crossser to get the attention of the undercoverage defenders... the concept is a vertical stretch of the middle column

BCB has been throwing this combo since at least HS, everybody runs this combination at every level... it was nothing new to him
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Jan 16, 2023 at 4:59 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I think all 49er fans are giddy about Purdy right now. But, its also not wrong to say what if, along with his ability to throw the short pass, escape the pass rush, know when to throw the ball away, and have great instinct for the game, he had a Mahomes kind of arm to really drill the ball into tight spaces. But honestly, if had that he would have been the 1st player picked in the draft rather than Mr. Irrelevant. Dont think its taking anything away from how happy 49er fans are with him so far.

One thing about Mahomes he's on the 2nd contract. Which is a reason why T Hill was on a rival AFC club this season. Purdy got the cheapest 4 year deal you can get. Mahomes nearly makes as much in a game as Brock will make over the life of his 4 year contract.

I'll take Brock, his cheap contract, and the ability to retain Bosa, Aiyuk, Greenlaw, Deebo, etc.
Originally posted by random49er:
We've seen that over and over again.

What you're saying isin't breaking news to anybody. Fire starters are just busy searching for something, so I guess the new thing is to force everyone that posts to say he's an extremely talented QB with a huge ceiling?

I mean yea....let's see where this one ends up, lol.

If you don't see the difference between 5'10" 180 lb Doug Flutie and 6'1" 215 lb Brock Purdy I don't know what to tell you. That's significantly bigger and stronger. I think he's more instinctive and can throw better too.

Still getting paid $700k+ this season alone is pretty damn nice. He can finally afford a PS5.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I'm so tired of hearing these talking heads go on and on about how Purdy doesn't have to do anything but get the ball to the playmakers. Lol I love that all of a sudden - it isn't the most difficult position to play in sports, specifically for a rookie.

Chris simms just called Purdy a lesser version of Mac Jones. Wtf? Purdy is significantly better than he ever was in the pros so far. Mac also can't run to save his life.

huh???? he didnt.

https://youtu.be/nqZMDyK40IQ start at 5:30

I used to hate Chris Simms, I still do… but I used to too.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Still getting paid $700k+ this season alone is pretty damn nice. He can finally afford a PS5.

he still needs roommates to live in the bay
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If you don't see the difference between 5'10" 180 lb Doug Flutie and 6'1" 215 lb Brock Purdy I don't know what to tell you. That's significantly bigger and stronger. I think he's more instinctive and can throw better too.

You obviously didn't read the reply:

Good thing combine talent (see Leaf, Russell, Z Wilson) isn't what playing NFL QB is all about

Doug Flutie is clear evidence of that.

But it also doesn't mean he had "loads of talent" whenever he had a good game or played well.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 16, 2023 at 5:11 PM ]
Oh boy. LoL. Only thing I can ration is that there are a handful here that miss that "Us. vs. Them" stuff from Jimmy's thread,...and are trying to recreate it here in this one, even though pretty much everyone is onboard and enjoying the postseason.

Admitting that he's not among the most talented QBs in the game has somehow became a crime, because, what else we gonna gripe and argue about?

lol. some people are smart enough to understand "measurables" have nothing to do with "talent". lol at this post. this is quite the doozy.
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
The Trey cult is relentless

I'm a big Jimmy G fan but I'm riding with BCB to the Super Bowl and beyond

Same - I'm a big Jimmy fan and love the guy. I also understand his limitations. Brock is the guy until he proves that he isn't, in my eyes.

the whole Trey situation is going to be interesting when the season is over. If we trade him, keep him, he demands a trade!? Who knows.
a great situation for him would be with the dolphins. Great surrounding talent, Mike mcdaniels knows him well and runs the same system. I'd be very interested in seeing how he does there - his arm with hill!?

same

Trey is a religion at this point

me thinks Shanny tries to trade him... I don't think McDaniels or Sala want him because they know what he is really like and not a difference maker at QB

would like to see Jimmy G as a backup but don't think he will stick around

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
having a cannon for an arm is so overrated

mahomes & allen have seriously ruined peoples brains

I think if you throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry with your receivers. I think that trumps laser rocket arm any day.

All that's being said is what's wrong with wishing he had both? You can throw a good touch pass, good footwork and have good chemistry all while having a cannon as well.

Yeah imagine if Joe Montana had Dan Marino's arm talent. Then he would have been a REALLY good quarterback!

Am I doing it right?

Man you guys are so sensitive lol.

Oh boy. LoL. Only thing I can ration is that there are a handful here that miss that "Us. vs. Them" stuff from Jimmy's thread,...and are trying to recreate it here in this one, even though pretty much everyone is onboard and enjoying the postseason.

Admitting that he's not among the most talented QBs in the game has somehow became a crime, because, what else we gonna gripe and argue about?

Now do Joe Montana and Tom Brady.
Originally posted by boast:
lol. some people are smart enough to understand "measurables" have nothing to do with "talent". lol at this post. this is quite the doozy.

Bill Walsh included measurables in the discussion of talent though, because there are different levels of it. You'll have to talk to him about that.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 16, 2023 at 5:05 PM ]

You obviously didn't read the reply:

Good thing combine talent (see Leaf, Russell, Z Wilson) isn't what playing NFL QB is all about

Doug Flutie is clear evidence of that.

Yeah it's not all about the combine or measurables. I agree. But the point also is Purdy is much better on measurables than Flutie. Even Murray or Wilson as far as height and weight. He's really not that small. At least as big as Steve Young or Drew Brees. He has enough size. To go along with all the other great aspects he brings. He has the mind game down.
Bill Walsh included measurables in the discussion of talent though, because there are different levels of it. You'll have to talk to him about that.

he also didnt care that phil simms had a rocket arm
We've seen that over and over again.

What you're saying isin't breaking news to anybody. Fire starters are just busy searching for something, so I guess the new thing is to force everyone that posts to say he's an extremely talented QB with a huge ceiling?

I mean yea....let's see where this one ends up, lol.

who's comparing brock to peewee? no one I hope.
Share 49ersWebzone