There are 191 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
also what measurables we look for could be different in 10 years. Could be the 10 yard split will be more valued than height or 40 time when evaluating QBs. Lamar Jackson wouldn't have been allowed to play QB 30 years ago but now he is a high value QB
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
He seems to have developed a tendency to escape left out of the pocket when pressured. It showed up a lot Saturday. Is this something that teams will notice and try to gamelan for? Anything to be worried about here?

I was wondering about this too. I think he guesses its safer to leave McGlinchey's area.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
also what measurables we look for could be different in 10 years. Could be the 10 yard split will be more valued than height or 40 time when evaluating QBs. Lamar Jackson wouldn't have been allowed to play QB 30 years ago but now he is a high value QB

10 yard split is more important to create off schedule and scramble 5, 7, 10 yards for a first down. You don't normally scramble for 40, 50, 80 yards. Fields and Lamar Jackson will do it once in a while. But it's rare for even them. You don't need that. It's just a nice extra luxury.
What is the conclusion here? He's talented but I still dont think he has loads of talent. If we saw a QB that had loads of talent, we wouldn'tve waited till the last pick in the draft to take him.

talented player ≠ player with loads of talent

I guess you can be a talented player and still not have talent oozing out of your ears? Both can be true? No?

I miss the Jimmy thread as well,...but you guys will have to recreate drama with something else.

#TeamPurdy
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
He seems to have developed a tendency to escape left out of the pocket when pressured. It showed up a lot Saturday. Is this something that teams will notice and try to gamelan for? Anything to be worried about here?

I was wondering about this too. I think he guesses its safer to leave McGlinchey's area.

I think David Lombardi is a lurker here lol.

What separates the great from the good at the QB position in the NFL is Always headwork. Period.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Jan 16, 2023 at 5:14 PM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I think David Lombardi is a lurker here lol.

nah he's addressing everything on tv and twitter
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by boast:
lol. some people are smart enough to understand "measurables" have nothing to do with "talent". lol at this post. this is quite the doozy.

Bill Walsh included measurables in the discussion of talent though, because there are different levels of it. You'll have to talk to him about that.

Bill Walsh drafted Gio Carmazzi. he made mistakes all the time.

lol at a go talk to him comeback.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wanna see brock start throwing better deep balls, he keeps under throwing his guys, its a constant theme now after 7 games

i dont think its lack of arm strength, i think hes just trying to be too fine with his throws, he needs to see it quicker and let it fly

Constant.

yes

still haven't seen BCB let one rip on a go route with the over 50 yards in the air... looking forward to this, he has the arm, just want to see ball placement and touch

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
How many super bowl wins among all those guys? Four? Would you say that's underachieving?

Montana. not elite arm 4 super bowl wins.
Brady. not elite arm. 7 superbowl wins.

And, the super bowls won by elway were when he was old and in the way. Not throwin lasers anymore -- ahnd he was the better qb for it. Had to rely on other attributes to succeed.

SO arm strength != elite throwing ability != elite achiviement.

end of story.

Super Bowl wins is a team stat. End of story
lol. some people are smart enough to understand "measurables" have nothing to do with "talent". lol at this post. this is quite the doozy.

Bill Walsh included measurables in the discussion of talent though, because there are different levels of it. You'll have to talk to him about that.

Bill Walsh saw Montana fell to the 3rd round because he didn't have an "elite" arm. That was a stupid pick.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

Why does it matter? What are you afraid of?

If it's so clear to you Brock is far superior to Trey any "open competition" will result in Brock winning it easily and being named the starter regardless right?

So if Mahomes and Burrow have to go through an "open competition" next season, and they're annoyed by that, they are afraid? I disagree. Purdy has already earned QB1 status for next season. A competition is unnecessary and would take away first team reps that would prepare him for the regular season.

Comparing Brock to Mahomes and Burrow? Lmao dude. Mahomes is a champion and Burrow a #1 overall pick. We happen to have a #3 overall pick on the roster that got injured through no fault of his own - not like we have Zach Wilson on the roster playing like s**t for two years and looking non-functional.

Talk to me if Brock wins the Super Bowl. Which I desperately hope he does.

I'm down with whatever Shanahan thinks. If he thinks Brock has earned QB1 and no competition is necessary I'm good with that as he has seen more of both qbs in practice than you or I could ever hope to see. I want whoever Kyle thinks will be the best qb in the near term AND long term. If that's Brock let's do it. If he thinks it's Trey though he should go with that. I just want whoever will be considered the most elite qb five years from now not just in the current moment.

But I'm sure as hell not going by your thoughts and proclamations on the matter.

Very curious to see how the offseason goes.

Brock has to win a SB to be compared to Burrow. Yet Burrow has not won a SB.

Yea Ezekiel38's stance is odd.
1st he is basing his assessment on draft status stating Burrows is a #1 pick and lance is a #3 so they HAVE to be better then Purdy.

Also, If Lance would have had 3-4 games like Purdy did, him and others would have declared him a FQB with no competition necessary. However, since draft status matters to him, and Purdy was a low draft pick, as he has stated, "Purdy needs to win the SB in a dominating fashion" to be declared a FQB.

Such Silly takes.

All bold lol

I said it is the REASONS behind him being a #3 overall pick that is why I want to see more. I liked what I saw from Lance so far.

Purdy may be better than Lance long term but he may not be. We just don't know. I like Brock as much as anyone in here - he's playing great ball.

Y'all acting like we have Zach Wilson on the bench still playing like doo doo for almost two years. Obv Purdy is better than the #2 pick in the draft so in that sense draft status means nothing anymore because we have actually seen what Zach Wilson is. We have not seen barely anything with Trey. I think Trey could do everything Brock is doing if he had started all year.

Who will be considered the better qb five years from now? I'm certainly not ready to claim that Brock will ultimately be the more elite qb five years from now. I want whoever that is and if it is Brock then great I love it as we found the needed upgrade from the trash heap that was Jimmy in the playoffs.

If you think it is so clear it will be as you say and Brock will be annointed the starter right away when OTAs begin. And I'm fine with that as I'm good with whatever Kyle
these guys would of started Bledsoe over Brady in 2001 too. Lol "Bledsoe was the #1 pick! We just made him the highest paid qb in nfl!. Brady was a 6th round pick! Come on! He doesn't have as strong as an arm, not as athletic!"

lol sound familiar? Thank god they only get to draft during fantasy football

Open competition!
Now do Joe Montana and Tom Brady.

So that's who Brock is after a handful of games? Pretty god damn small margin of error if that's what you're expecting

He also wanted Steve Fuller, Dwight Clark's college QB, ahead of Montana. In fact the reason he even found Clark was because he was scouting Fuller
Share 49ersWebzone