There are 211 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
s
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by random49er:
Oh boy. LoL. Only thing I can ration is that there are a handful here that miss that "Us. vs. Them" stuff from Jimmy's thread,...and are trying to recreate it here in this one, even though pretty much everyone is onboard and enjoying the postseason.

Admitting that he's not among the most talented QBs in the game has somehow became a crime, because, what else we gonna gripe and argue about?

lol. some people are smart enough to understand "measurables" have nothing to do with "talent". lol at this post. this is quite the doozy.

so I predict BCB is going to bring about a new desired measurable from the combine for QBs... the 10 yard split... going to be as valued as hand size!!
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

would like to see Jimmy G as a backup but don't think he will stick around

Obviously the only player in the nfl that can come in and run kyles offense without skipping a beat.

if we keep Lunch Trey Shanny would have to rep two different offenses.... just doesn't make any sense
Originally posted by random49er:
What does him drafting Gio prove? That he can't properly define what a talented QB is, but you can?

You see how easily we transitioned from "define what loads of talent is in a QB" to "draft busts" like it was nothing?

This is headed nowhere fast,...lol. But I'm used to it.

If Brock was 2 inches taller with a better arm he would have been a 1st rd pick (with everything else he possesses)…clearly the NFL values it for a reason.

I love what Brock has done and I hope he keeps it rolling. Wishing the arm was a little stronger is just a fan being a fan.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I don't think you hate Brock. I think you love "arm talent" too much.

I want all of it. period…any fan should. Nowhere have I said arm talent over smarts.

What I'm saying is All the Great quarterbacks are superlative above the shoulders, and they don't all have superlative physical attributes. The headwork is more rare. Great, have them both. But it's a whole lot easier to find a strong arm than it is such a quick mind. That's prerequisite number one.

I want all of it. period…any fan should. Nowhere have I said arm talent over smarts.

What I'm saying is All the Great quarterbacks are superlative above the shoulders, and they don't all have superlative physical attributes. The headwork is more rare. Great, have them both. But it's a whole lot easier to find a strong arm than it is such a quick mind. That's prerequisite number one.

if he was 2-3 inch taller 49ers don't have a legit shot at him.

this

elite football intelligence > arm strength or height
Originally posted by Dshearn:

if he was 2-3 inch taller 49ers don't have a legit shot at him.

But can he hold a corndog?

Again I'm not arguing that and never was. All I said was I wish his arm talent was better. People took that as if I hate Brock and how dare I say something that's actually true or not absolutely positive about him.

I love his demeanor & control of the offense as a rookie. I think he could be more accurate (but again a rookie), love the quick twitch, love the pocket presence and willingness to make a play. He can read the field and make a decision quickly.
this

And not a single person in here is denying this
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
this

Super Joe had average arm strength as did SY

where and when the ball is thrown is much more important than having a cannon arm

No one is saying arm strength over anything else. All I said was I wish his arm was a little better. Dats it. The usual suspects got all bent out of shape a dramatic over it.

What exactly is the point in "wishing" for it? Seems like a waste of time to have a negative disposition about a very good QB of ours. But by all means, y'all do you.

• thl408
this

Agreed. How about this math?

elite football intelligence < (arm strength or height + elite football intelligence)
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Now do Joe Montana and Tom Brady.

So that's who Brock is after a handful of games? Pretty god damn small margin of error if that's what you're expecting

Now but the overall point I'm hearing is that you guys can only be happy if you have a QB with a great arm and elite physical measurables. That simply hasn't been the recipe for the all-time greats.
Again I'm not arguing that and never was. All I said was I wish his arm talent was better. People took that as if I hate Brock and how dare I say something that's actually true or not absolutely positive about him.

I love his demeanor & control of the offense as a rookie. I think he could be more accurate (but again a rookie), love the quick twitch, love the pocket presence and willingness to make a play. He can read the field and make a decision quickly.

His arm talent is elite. his arm strength is ok. He throws catchable downfield balls with arc that let receivers settle under the ball. An important reason he hits td paydirt in shanny's field goal salt mine. That is arm talent. Kap throws 90mph knuckle breakers. No one currs about that.
Originally posted by thl408:
this

elite football intelligence < (arm strength or height + elite football intelligence)

dude that math is way beyond my pay grade Lol
Originally posted by thl408:
this

But does arm strength inhibit the development of elite football intelligence? just like soccer. the fastest players don't learn to play smart, read the field, or learn skill.

they just run past everyone to score. Until they can't.
Share 49ersWebzone