There are 233 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
His arm talent is elite. his arm strength is ok. He throws catchable downfield balls with arc that let receivers settle under the ball. An important reason he hits td paydirt in shanny's field goal salt mine. That is arm talent. Kap throws 90mph knuckle breakers. No one currs about that.

interesting stuff,...for sure
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
this

elite football intelligence > arm strength or height

Agreed. How about this math?

elite football intelligence < (arm strength or height + elite football intelligence)

no one said there was going to be a test.....
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I don't think you hate Brock. I think you love "arm talent" too much.

I want all of it. period…any fan should. Nowhere have I said arm talent over smarts.

What I'm saying is All the Great quarterbacks are superlative above the shoulders, and they don't all have superlative physical attributes. The headwork is more rare. Great, have them both. But it's a whole lot easier to find a strong arm than it is such a quick mind. That's prerequisite number one.

if he was 2-3 inch taller 49ers don't have a legit shot at him.

Sure they do. Just have to draft him one round higher. People say Walsh was stupid for waiting until the 3rd to draft Montana. No he wasn't. Had a good hunch where everybody else wanted him.

That's because other people valued arm strength more.

Who's the smart one?
[ Edited by BOI49er on Jan 16, 2023 at 6:05 PM ]
this

elite football intelligence < (arm strength or height + elite football intelligence)

But does arm strength inhibit the development of elite football intelligence? just like soccer. the fastest players don't learn to play smart, read the field, or learn skill.

they just run past everyone to score. Until they can't.

nice.....

Originally posted by random49er:
His arm talent is elite. his arm strength is ok. He throws catchable downfield balls with arc that let receivers settle under the ball. An important reason he hits td paydirt in shanny's field goal salt mine. That is arm talent. Kap throws 90mph knuckle breakers. No one currs about that.

I think his red zone success tells us a heck of a lot about his arm. He is getting TDs with a short field.

I think he is doing a lot with ball placement, maybe not A tier yet but he does shield his WRs from the big hits with the ball, he does have a bit of back shoulder game, he can hit guys in motion. He does get the ball low in traffic.

Not just good, but NFL good.

He hits td paydirt because he runs the offense at a much higher level.
  • thl408
this

But does arm strength inhibit the development of elite football intelligence? just like soccer. the fastest players don't learn to play smart, read the field, or learn skill.

So jocks are dumb? Math checks out.
I don't think it's either or, though. Intelligence and athletic can be achieved.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by boast:
lol. some people are smart enough to understand "measurables" have nothing to do with "talent". lol at this post. this is quite the doozy.

Bill Walsh included measurables in the discussion of talent though, because there are different levels of it. You'll have to talk to him about that.

Bill Walsh drafted Gio Carmazzi. he made mistakes all the time.

lol at a go talk to him comeback.

What does him drafting Gio prove? That he can't properly define what a talented QB is, but you can?

You see how easily we transitioned from "define what loads of talent is in a QB" to "draft busts" like it was nothing?

This is headed nowhere fast,...lol. But I'm used to it.

you invoked Bill Walsh's name like it mattered to you posting Purdy's draft measurables and claiming it proves a lack of talent. you know what Bill Walsh wouldve agreed with?

that Brock Purdy has loads of talent.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

I think his red zone success tells us a heck of a lot about his arm. He is getting TDs with a short field.

I think he is doing a lot with ball placement, maybe not A tier yet but he does shield his WRs from the big hits with the ball, he does have a bit of back shoulder game, he can hit guys in motion. He does get the ball low in traffic.

Not just good, but NFL good.

yea, a big part of his red zone success is extending and improvising until he spots the dropped coverage, then lobs a walk-in. beautiful. Those are all four point plays for us cause shanny's winners at the 8 yard line are few and far between. Shanny tries to genius his way into the end zone, the play flops, purdy runs around until he can pull four points out of his ass. That's what's going on in the red zone.
BCB may be like several different past and present QBs, but IMO Brock Purdy compares to nobody but himself, he is one of one

this

I don't think it's either or, though. Intelligence and athletic can be achieved.

what? i don't get what you are saying. Happens all the time in soccer, coaches stash third year players in their age bracket, and win a lot of games. But the players don't develop and disappear at the hs/college level cuase they don't learn to play with a purpose.
this

Clearly not always, because Patrick Mahomes is what Purdy would be if he had elite arm strength.

EDIT—of course, a first ballot Hall of Famer is probably the exception to the rule.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Jan 16, 2023 at 6:27 PM ]
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
this

Clearly not always, because Patrick Mahomes is what Purdy would be if he had elite arm strength.

EDIT—of course, a first ballot Hall of Famer is probably the exception to the rule.

i was going to point that out. Arm strength is a blessing, but it can be a crutch too. that's what i am trying to say.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jan 16, 2023 at 6:30 PM ]
this

what? i don't get what you are saying. Happens all the time in soccer, coaches stash third year players in their age bracket, and win a lot of games. But the players don't develop and disappear at the hs/college level cuase they don't learn to play with a purpose.

What the hell are you talking about lmao. Most of the greatest soccer players were also athletic freaks. Pele, R9, CR7, Cruyff, even Messi is insanely quick. Mbappe is top player in the world right now, and they don't come more athletically gifted then him Great athletes that can also play the game right is a thing.

I strongly disagree. Physical skills can certainly develop with repetitions. A quick mind is more of an aptitude. It can be improved, but only within your aptitude range. I had to listen for years how Kaepernick is young and will learn to read defenses and make the quick decisions, while I was arguing if that was going to happen, you would see Lots of improvement very early on. We didn't.

Brock has proven he's got it, and he will get better.
Share 49ersWebzone