There are 188 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BOI49er:
What separates the great from the good at the QB position in the NFL is Always headwork. Period.

Which Brock Purdy has in great amounts already. So that's why he is good.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
this

elite football intelligence > arm strength or height

And not a single person in here is denying this

He's correct.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
What the hell are you talking about lmao. Most of the greatest soccer players were also athletic freaks. Pele, R9, CR7, Cruyff, even Messi is insanely quick. Mbappe is top player in the world right now, and they don't come more athletically gifted then him Great athletes that can also play the game right is a thing.

Not sure he knows. Just throwing stuff at the wall.

Purdy is actually a good athlete.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 16, 2023 at 6:43 PM ]
QB is a mind game. Brock Purdy has it in volumes.

Elite football IQ > height, weight, speed.

Purdy has enough size, strength and athletic ability BTW. He's at least as big as Brees or maybe a little bigger. At least as big as Steve Young. No reason you can't play great with his size and strength. He shows enough athleticism in the 10 yard - 15 yard box area to create things off schedule. Purdy has all you need. Most importantly the head game. That's where he wins.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 16, 2023 at 6:46 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by thl408:
this

Agreed. How about this math?

elite football intelligence < (arm strength or height + elite football intelligence)

But does arm strength inhibit the development of elite football intelligence? just like soccer. the fastest players don't learn to play smart, read the field, or learn skill.

they just run past everyone to score. Until they can't.

So jocks are dumb? Math checks out.
I don't think it's either or, though. Intelligence and athletic can be achieved.

what? i don't get what you are saying. Happens all the time in soccer, coaches stash third year players in their age bracket, and win a lot of games. But the players don't develop and disappear at the hs/college level cuase they don't learn to play with a purpose.

Let's talk QBs though. I think it's possible to be a smart and athletic QB.
Let's talk QBs though. I think it's possible to be a smart and athletic QB.

Purdy is smart and athletic and big enough. It's also not soccer. A completely different game. QB is the most head game position in football and Brock Purdy has that part down.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
this

elite football intelligence < (arm strength or height + elite football intelligence)

But does arm strength inhibit the development of elite football intelligence? just like soccer. the fastest players don't learn to play smart, read the field, or learn skill.

Clearly not always, because Patrick Mahomes is what Purdy would be if he had elite arm strength.

EDIT—of course, a first ballot Hall of Famer is probably the exception to the rule.

i was going to point that out. Arm strength is a blessing, but it can be a crutch too. that's what i am trying to say.

Like how an elite fast release can be too. It allowed Jimmy to get away with reading defenses badly a lot more than one might think. He was often right even when he was wrong.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Like how an elite fast release can be too. It allowed Jimmy to get away with reading defenses badly a lot more than one might think. He was often right even when he was wrong.

He reads a defense fine. Just lacks a deep ball and mobility.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
this

I don't think it's either or, though. Intelligence and athletic can be achieved.

what? i don't get what you are saying. Happens all the time in soccer, coaches stash third year players in their age bracket, and win a lot of games. But the players don't develop and disappear at the hs/college level cuase they don't learn to play with a purpose.

What the hell are you talking about lmao. Most of the greatest soccer players were also athletic freaks. Pele, R9, CR7, Cruyff, even Messi is insanely quick. Mbappe is top player in the world right now, and they don't come more athletically gifted then him Great athletes that can also play the game right is a thing.

Cruyff was a chain smoker with no running ability. CR7 went from a a supersaonic 19 year old doing step overs to a complete player in the RM system taught by Jose Mourinho. Messi spent 5 years in La Masia doing nothing but drilling the Cruyff/Guardiola principles on top of his incomperable finishing intellect. All these guys understand the game very well in the systems they were taught and have lots of physical. There are infinitely more players with physical but not the understanding who you never hear of.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Idk about you guys but I've been smiling from ear to ear all day. This kid is exactly what this offense needed. 4… nearly 5 touchdowns in his first postseason start. He creates, he targets downfield, he can escape the pocket, he protects the footbal… he does it all. Our future is incredibly bright.

So no "open competition" with Lance next year for you?

Why does it matter? What are you afraid of?

If it's so clear to you Brock is far superior to Trey any "open competition" will result in Brock winning it easily and being named the starter regardless right?

So if Mahomes and Burrow have to go through an "open competition" next season, and they're annoyed by that, they are afraid? I disagree. Purdy has already earned QB1 status for next season. A competition is unnecessary and would take away first team reps that would prepare him for the regular season.

Comparing Brock to Mahomes and Burrow? Lmao dude. Mahomes is a champion and Burrow a #1 overall pick. We happen to have a #3 overall pick on the roster that got injured through no fault of his own - not like we have Zach Wilson on the roster playing like s**t for two years and looking non-functional.

Talk to me if Brock wins the Super Bowl. Which I desperately hope he does.

I'm down with whatever Shanahan thinks. If he thinks Brock has earned QB1 and no competition is necessary I'm good with that as he has seen more of both qbs in practice than you or I could ever hope to see. I want whoever Kyle thinks will be the best qb in the near term AND long term. If that's Brock let's do it. If he thinks it's Trey though he should go with that. I just want whoever will be considered the most elite qb five years from now not just in the current moment.

But I'm sure as hell not going by your thoughts and proclamations on the matter.

Very curious to see how the offseason goes.

Brock has to win a SB to be compared to Burrow. Yet Burrow has not won a SB.

Yea Ezekiel38's stance is odd.
1st he is basing his assessment on draft status stating Burrows is a #1 pick and lance is a #3 so they HAVE to be better then Purdy.

Also, If Lance would have had 3-4 games like Purdy did, him and others would have declared him a FQB with no competition necessary. However, since draft status matters to him, and Purdy was a low draft pick, as he has stated, "Purdy needs to win the SB in a dominating fashion" to be declared a FQB.

Such Silly takes.

All bold lol

I said it is the REASONS behind him being a #3 overall pick that is why I want to see more. I liked what I saw from Lance so far.

Purdy may be better than Lance long term but he may not be. We just don't know. I like Brock as much as anyone in here - he's playing great ball.

Y'all acting like we have Zach Wilson on the bench still playing like doo doo for almost two years. Obv Purdy is better than the #2 pick in the draft so in that sense draft status means nothing anymore because we have actually seen what Zach Wilson is. We have not seen barely anything with Trey. I think Trey could do everything Brock is doing if he had started all year.

Who will be considered the better qb five years from now? I'm certainly not ready to claim that Brock will ultimately be the more elite qb five years from now. I want whoever that is and if it is Brock then great I love it as we found the needed upgrade from the trash heap that was Jimmy in the playoffs.

If you think it is so clear it will be as you say and Brock will be annointed the starter right away when OTAs begin. And I'm fine with that as I'm good with whatever Kyle
these guys would of started Bledsoe over Brady in 2001 too. Lol "Bledsoe was the #1 pick! We just made him the highest paid qb in nfl!. Brady was a 6th round pick! Come on! He doesn't have as strong as an arm, not as athletic!"

lol sound familiar? Thank god they only get to draft during fantasy football

Bledsoe was older and a known quantity and not that great a qb and everyone knew it. Didn't matter where he was drafted.

Not hard to move on to Brady esp after a game winning SB drive vs the Pats.

So no. Wrong. We would not have started Bledsoe in 2001. Easily go to Brady there.

This is not the same situation in the slightest.

Nice try though.

Somehow these guys don't see how soccer is wildly different from football QB. I mean really?

Soccer running the field and athleticism matters a lot. Football QB is 90% a head game. Purdy has plenty enough athleticism BTW. He's not a terrible athlete. He's a good one.
this

lmao @ you guys totally missing on thl's dry humor
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He's below average at it.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He's below average at it.

Reading the D is not his biggest problem.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Trey Lance's replacement. lol

Only a matter of time before we see fans cheering for Purdy.

oh what a receipt
Share 49ersWebzone