There are 208 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Montana:
Pete said after the game, Brock was playing like Fran Tarkenton. I don't believe I have heard the name before. So, looked him up. If anyone is curious, here's some FT highlights:)

Famously lost 3 Super bowl's in 4 years.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

I coined it. you all heard it from me.

"Seems like",....meh. Inconclusive just like the "considered" thing.

Be more aggressive this next draft class.

the pun. im referring to the pun.

what considered thing? the tangential word salad you went on about?

You coined something he's had to hear his whole life? LoL cool man. I misunderstood.

jeez dude, you really need to lighten up over such facetious posts.

Lighten up? I'm clearly joking.

ah, cheers then
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
Being from Iowa, I watched Brock play through college starting all four years, and it gets me thinking maybe that's the reason for so many 1st round QB busts. Those players that are on undefeated teams etc. just didn't see the adversary, ups and downs, that players like Purdy did.
If anything all of this just further proves (if the one million examples from Montana to Brady did not before) that pundits making millions have no idea what they are talking about and how to judge college prospects and it's all just a crapshoot.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
You would think a username of Montana would have some knowledge of NFL QB greats. Heck, Fran Tarkenton was on MNF in 1982 when Joe played in lol.

Lol well, I have probably heard the name before, it does sound more familiar when I think of the Young years. In my defense, Pete said some might not know who Fran is, so it's ok haha. 👌 Fran was before my time, will just use that as a dumb excuse too:).
Originally posted by Jcool:
Pete said after the game, Brock was playing like Fran Tarkenton. I don't believe I have heard the name before. So, looked him up. If anyone is curious, here's some FT highlights:)

Also co-host of the 80s TV show "That's Incredible".

He does play like that.

Tarkenton was who Russel Wilson was compared to for a while. I don't love the comparison. Purdy is a lot less backyard ball than either of those guys. He's playing very well within the system.
Originally posted by Ruixx:
Being from Iowa, I watched Brock play through college starting all four years, and it gets me thinking maybe that's the reason for so many 1st round QB busts. Those players that are on undefeated teams etc. just didn't see the adversary, ups and downs, that players like Purdy did.
If anything all of this just further proves (if the one million examples from Montana to Brady did not before) that pundits making millions have no idea what they are talking about and how to judge college prospects and it's all just a crapshoot.

There's also the aspect of success dictated by those around you, i.e. coaching staff and talent. Mac Jones and Tua and others have had very, very good staffs and a ton of playmakers around them.

Purdy had to win scheme vs scheme a lot of times. He didn't have the luxury of a Jerry jeudy or Jaylen Waddle just beating their guy.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Tarkenton was who Russel Wilson was compared to for a while. I don't love the comparison. Purdy is a lot less backyard ball than either of those guys. He's playing very well within the system.

Tark was the original scrambler. He may have been the best ever but it could have been that there just weren't many mobile QBs back then. Teams had no idea how ti defend that stuff.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Matt forgot to mentioned-- playing like a vet 1st rounder
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
How does Purdy compare to Tua in terms of physical and athletical attributes? It doesn't seem like Tua has higher "ceiling", but he was the 5th overall pick.

Tua is actually slightly shorter, arm strengths are similar, and in terms of mobility, I don't think Tua has any advantage either.

Tua was drafted on accuracy, throwing with anticipation, and sound mechanics.

Ok. Aren't these Purdy's strengths as well?

So Purdy could have been a top 10 pick if he played better in college?

Someone posted a few days ago that he had a first round grade after his sophomore season, and dropped off as his performance regressed his junior and senior seasons. Just goes to show how imperfect the system is.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I coined it. you all heard it from me.

"Seems like",....meh. Inconclusive just like the "considered" thing.

Be more aggressive this next draft class.

the pun. im referring to the pun.

what considered thing? the tangential word salad you went on about?

You coined something he's had to hear his whole life? LoL cool man. I misunderstood.

jeez dude, you really need to lighten up over such facetious posts.

I'm glad you said it first lol. What on Earth.

He does that a lot less. Mostly stays in the pocket and goes through his progressions. But he does it sometimes.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

That's why I don't like the Wilson comp either, nor Tarkenton. People see the highlights and think he's running around and chucking it deep when in reality that's only a small number of the plays he makes. He's throwing from the pocket and most of his movement is within the pocket.
Share 49ersWebzone