There are 186 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

*in the playoffs
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Montana:
Pete said after the game, Brock was playing like Fran Tarkenton. I don't believe I have heard the name before. So, looked him up. If anyone is curious, here's some FT highlights:)

Famously lost 3 Super bowl's in 4 years.

Tarkenton was who Russel Wilson was compared to for a while. I don't love the comparison. Purdy is a lot less backyard ball than either of those guys. He's playing very well within the system.

Tark was the original scrambler. He may have been the best ever but it could have been that there just weren't many mobile QBs back then. Teams had no idea how ti defend that stuff.

Tark was there a few years before Roger Staubach...but Roger the Dodger was no slouch. Both of them were a PITA for defenses.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Pete said after the game, Brock was playing like Fran Tarkenton. I don't believe I have heard the name before. So, looked him up. If anyone is curious, here's some FT highlights:)

Tarkenton was who Russel Wilson was compared to for a while. I don't love the comparison. Purdy is a lot less backyard ball than either of those guys. He's playing very well within the system.

Tark was the original scrambler. He may have been the best ever but it could have been that there just weren't many mobile QBs back then. Teams had no idea how ti defend that stuff.

That broken play to Aiyuk in the corner endzone, I'm pretty sure got Kyle stoked enough to where he'll design some scramble plays for Purdy in the future to take advantage of his athleticism.
Is Brock Purdy the reincarnation of Fran Tarkenton?
Originally posted by dogloza1:
Is Brock Purdy the reincarnation of Fran Tarkenton?

I'd rather he be the ghost of Staubach. At least he won SuperBowls.
Originally posted by Giedi:

That broken play to Aiyuk in the corner endzone, I'm pretty sure got Kyle stoked enough to where he'll design some scramble plays for Purdy in the future to take advantage of his athleticism.

Purdy will need to work with the receivers on the rules in a scramble.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by random49er:
How does Purdy compare to Tua in terms of physical and athletical attributes? It doesn't seem like Tua has higher "ceiling", but he was the 5th overall pick.

Tua is actually slightly shorter, arm strengths are similar, and in terms of mobility, I don't think Tua has any advantage either.

Tua was drafted on accuracy, throwing with anticipation, and sound mechanics.

Ok. Aren't these Purdy's strengths as well?

So Purdy could have been a top 10 pick if he played better in college?

Someone posted a few days ago that he had a first round grade after his sophomore season, and dropped off as his performance regressed his junior and senior seasons. Just goes to show how imperfect the system is.

Humans are imperfect. Both the evaluators as well the players.

Some guys REALLY DO fall off and pick it back up again.

As said before,...if they all robotically stayed in order,...no one would really watch or be drawn to the draft. Or the sport in general for that matter. Guys that are rated high would play with no motivation....and guys rated low wouldnt either because there's nowhere up to go. Who'd want that kind of "perfect" system where nothing changes?

The fact that things can change so drastically is a large part of why the sport is so popular.

Hell...even basketball-lovers like myself would easily tell you they have next-to no interest whatsoever in the NBA draft or the FAs signed afterwards.

I can just read about what went down when I find the time.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 17, 2023 at 9:02 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Purdy will need to work with the receivers on the rules in a scramble.

Well, first rule if Brock is QB, if you are a WR, don't give up on your route running.😳
Originally posted by Furlow:
How does Purdy compare to Tua in terms of physical and athletical attributes? It doesn't seem like Tua has higher "ceiling", but he was the 5th overall pick.

Tua is actually slightly shorter, arm strengths are similar, and in terms of mobility, I don't think Tua has any advantage either.

Tua was drafted on accuracy, throwing with anticipation, and sound mechanics.

Ok. Aren't these Purdy's strengths as well?

So Purdy could have been a top 10 pick if he played better in college?

Someone posted a few days ago that he had a first round grade after his sophomore season, and dropped off as his performance regressed his junior and senior seasons. Just goes to show how imperfect the system is.

Yep. Purdy has enough physical tools and athleticism to be a franchise QB in the NFL. Some posters are so zoom in on him being a 7th round pick. That is completely irrelevant at this point after Purdy has shown so much in the last couple of months.

I can see at certain point someone just doesn't have the physical tool and athleticism to play in the NFL, you can't be 5'4" with a Ken Dorsey arm and no mobility (even if you have a Tom Brady brain).

But Purdy clearly has enough. Tua didn't have any advantage over Purdy in physical tools and athleticism and was a 6th overall pick.
But Purdy clearly has enough. Tua didn't have any advantage over Purdy in physical tools and athleticism and was a 6th overall pick.

Perhaps because one guy was overrated and the other was underrated?

Purdy had to win scheme vs scheme a lot of times. He didn't have the luxury of a Jerry jeudy or Jaylen Waddle just beating their guy.

He had some decent talent around him with Hall, Kolar, Butler and a few others but the playcalling was crap. Their entire offense took a massive dump this season and Manning finally got canned. It's pretty clear that Purdy was the engine of that offense and without him, everything fell apart.

He has less of a burden on him with the 49ers because he doesn't have to go #YOLO mode every game for his team to have a shot at winning.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

*in the playoffs

One of the great games we've seen in the franchise postseason history at the QB spot no doubt

Perhaps because one guy was overrated and the other was underrated?

Looks like Tua can be a fine starting QB in the NFL if he can stay healthy. The scouts who rated him so high weren't necessarily wrong.

Fran "the Georgia Peach" Tarkington, known for his scrambling ability to keep a play alive, and was a decent running threat as well... back in the day he was considered a FQB... also famous for 4 super bowl losses... but I do see some of Tarkington's scrambling ability in Purdy, but IMO BCB has a better arm
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

Fran "the Georgia Peach" Tarkington, known for his scrambling ability to keep a play alive, and was a decent running threat as well... back in the day he was considered a FQB... also famous for 4 super bowl losses... but I do see some of Tarkington's scrambling ability in Purdy, but IMO BCB has a better arm

Of course he was a FQB. He was a one time MVP, two times all pro, and 9 times pro bowler.

It is actually weird his name wasn't more well known.
Share 49ersWebzone