Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
How does Purdy compare to Tua in terms of physical and athletical attributes? It doesn't seem like Tua has higher "ceiling", but he was the 5th overall pick.

Tua is actually slightly shorter, arm strengths are similar, and in terms of mobility, I don't think Tua has any advantage either.

Tua was drafted on accuracy, throwing with anticipation, and sound mechanics.

Ok. Aren't these Purdy's strengths as well?

So Purdy could have been a top 10 pick if he played better in college?

Someone posted a few days ago that he had a first round grade after his sophomore season, and dropped off as his performance regressed his junior and senior seasons. Just goes to show how imperfect the system is.

Humans are imperfect. Both the evaluators as well the players.

Some guys REALLY DO fall off and pick it back up again.

As said before,...if they all robotically stayed in order,...no one would really watch or be drawn to the draft. Or the sport in general for that matter. Guys that are rated high would play with no motivation....and guys rated low wouldnt either because there's nowhere up to go. Who'd want that kind of "perfect" system where nothing changes?

The fact that things can change so drastically is a large part of why the sport is so popular.

Hell...even basketball-lovers like myself would easily tell you they have next-to no interest whatsoever in the NBA draft or the FAs signed afterwards.

I can just read about what went down when I find the time.

I could be wrong, but I think liberty's point (which is mine as well) is that Purdy DOES have "loads of talent" and was worthy of a first round pick (as evidenced by his play in the NFL). And had he been selected in the first round, the sports media and our fans would be in consensus that we're set at QB for the next decade+. But because he fell to the last round and last pick, there is hesitancy by some. I simply don't understand why people put so much emphasis on where a player was selected.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
How does Purdy compare to Tua in terms of physical and athletical attributes? It doesn't seem like Tua has higher "ceiling", but he was the 5th overall pick.

Tua is actually slightly shorter, arm strengths are similar, and in terms of mobility, I don't think Tua has any advantage either.

Someone posted a few days ago that he had a first round grade after his sophomore season, and dropped off as his performance regressed his junior and senior seasons. Just goes to show how imperfect the system is.

Yep. Purdy has enough physical tools and athleticism to be a franchise QB in the NFL. Some posters are so zoom in on him being a 7th round pick. That is completely irrelevant at this point after Purdy has shown so much in the last couple of months.

I can see at certain point someone just doesn't have the physical tool and athleticism to play in the NFL, you can't be 5'4" with a Ken Dorsey arm and no mobility (even if you have a Tom Brady brain).

But Purdy clearly has enough. Tua didn't have any advantage over Purdy in physical tools and athleticism and was a 6th overall pick.

I see you beat me to it. I'm with you 100%.

Yep. Purdy has enough physical tools and athleticism to be a franchise QB in the NFL. Some posters are so zoom in on him being a 7th round pick. That is completely irrelevant at this point after Purdy has shown so much in the last couple of months.

I can see at certain point someone just doesn't have the physical tool and athleticism to play in the NFL, you can't be 5'4" with a Ken Dorsey arm and no mobility (even if you have a Tom Brady brain).

But Purdy clearly has enough. Tua didn't have any advantage over Purdy in physical tools and athleticism and was a 6th overall pick.

If Purdy had the talent Tua had at Alabama he would've been a 1st rounder
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

For sure he would.

As said before,...if they all robotically stayed in order,...no one would really watch or be drawn to the draft. Or the sport in general for that matter. Guys that are rated high would play with no motivation....and guys rated low wouldnt either because there's nowhere up to go. Who'd want that kind of "perfect" system where nothing changes?

The fact that things can change so drastically is a large part of why the sport is so popular.

Hell...even basketball-lovers like myself would easily tell you they have next-to no interest whatsoever in the NBA draft or the FAs signed afterwards.

I could be wrong, but I think liberty's point (which is mine as well) is that Purdy DOES have "loads of talent" and was worthy of a first round pick (as evidenced by his play in the NFL). And had he been selected in the first round, the sports media and our fans would be in consensus that we're set at QB for the next decade+. But because he fell to the last round and last pick, there is hesitancy by some. I simply don't understand why people put so much emphasis on where a player was selected.

Yes that is exactly my point.
It's certainly true to say that draft pick doesn't matter any more. That happens eventually for all players, but it's happened real quick for Purdy.

But just as Lance can't be written-off after 4 games, Purdy can't be anointed after 7 games.
He's grabbing on to that starter spot with a tight grip for sure, but 'set for the next decade'? Too early for me.
[ Edited by joeknows on Jan 17, 2023 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by joeknows:
It's certainly true to say that draft pick doesn't matter any more. That happens eventually for all players, but it's happened real quick for Purdy.

But just as Lance can't be written-off after 4 games, Purdy can't be anointed after 7 games.
He's grabbing on to that starter spot with a tight grip for sure, but 'set for the next decade'? Too early for me.

The lesson for me is just tie one draft pick into your QB. Don't roll 3 picks into a project QB with fingers crossed. Draft is a crapshoot as always.

They are too worried about that. Montana was 3rd round. Brady was 6th round. Who cares where guys were picked? Can they play well? That's what matters. Sometimes they miss in the draft. The QB is probably the most inexact science of them all. But you know it when you see it. Brock Purdy has it.
Originally posted by joeknows:

It's a perfect situation for us IMO. We have a cheap and talented QB room. Purdy is the starter, Trey is the backup with an opportunity to rise to Purdy's level.

Up to Trey to raise his level of play. Practicing on a weekly basis against our defense should help him cut his teeth some more.

Would love to see Trey actually make it a competition. If so, it makes our backup situation better and positions us to perhaps gain draft capital when it comes down to it.
Coked up McAfee is Best McAfee.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

They are too worried about that. Montana was 3rd round. Brady was 6th round. Who cares where guys were picked? Can they play well? That's what matters. Sometimes they miss in the draft. The QB is probably the most inexact science of them all. But you know it when you see it. Brock Purdy has it.

I don't worry about his draft position. I am basically responding to posters who still strongly prefer Trey over Purdy because of their draft position.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

He almost did. If Purdy would've went to Alabama Mac Jones is Mr. irrelevent
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I don't worry about his draft position. I am basically responding to posters who still strongly prefer Trey over Purdy because of their draft position.

Yeah that's why they do it. It's because of his draft position. Not how he plays.

No,....you harped on how imperfect the system is as if it's a problem.

It's not a problem and it actually drives interest way up. You never quite know how a guy is going to turn out.
It's amusing and insulting to see some talk show dweebs saying Brock Purdy is the worst QB left in the playoffs. One was adamant that Daniel Jones is a WAY better QB.

Better QB? Laughable. By what measure is Jones a better QB than Purdy? Being a better runner certainly doesn't make him a better QB.

Purdy needs to keep it up for three more games and shut these fools up.
Share 49ersWebzone