There are 518 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
He almost did. If Purdy would've went to Alabama Mac Jones is Mr. irrelevent

If Purdy went to Bama, its unlikely he plays a single snap there. Jones was a higher rated prospect coming out of high school and he had to wait three years to play and still had to show out in the preseason or its possible that Bryce Young could have been starting as a freshman. Its the reality of a big school, unless you're a top end prospect coming out of high school, you either have to wait your turn and hope your turn comes or you transfer somewhere smaller.

Even Brady struggled to be the fulltime starter at Michigan with mutli-sport super wonder Drew Henson there.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
How does Purdy compare to Tua in terms of physical and athletical attributes? It doesn't seem like Tua has higher "ceiling", but he was the 5th overall pick.

Tua is actually slightly shorter, arm strengths are similar, and in terms of mobility, I don't think Tua has any advantage either.

Tua was drafted on accuracy, throwing with anticipation, and sound mechanics.

Ok. Aren't these Purdy's strengths as well?

So Purdy could have been a top 10 pick if he played better in college?

Someone posted a few days ago that he had a first round grade after his sophomore season, and dropped off as his performance regressed his junior and senior seasons. Just goes to show how imperfect the system is.

Humans are imperfect. Both the evaluators as well the players.

Some guys REALLY DO fall off and pick it back up again.

As said before,...if they all robotically stayed in order,...no one would really watch or be drawn to the draft. Or the sport in general for that matter. Guys that are rated high would play with no motivation....and guys rated low wouldnt either because there's nowhere up to go. Who'd want that kind of "perfect" system where nothing changes?

The fact that things can change so drastically is a large part of why the sport is so popular.

Hell...even basketball-lovers like myself would easily tell you they have next-to no interest whatsoever in the NBA draft or the FAs signed afterwards.

I can just read about what went down when I find the time.

I could be wrong, but I think liberty's point (which is mine as well) is that Purdy DOES have "loads of talent" and was worthy of a first round pick (as evidenced by his play in the NFL). And had he been selected in the first round, the sports media and our fans would be in consensus that we're set at QB for the next decade+. But because he fell to the last round and last pick, there is hesitancy by some. I simply don't understand why people put so much emphasis on where a player was selected.

No,....you harped on how imperfect the system is as if it's a problem.

It's not a problem and it actually drives interest way up. You never quite know how a guy is going to turn out.

I made one comment about it = "harped on?" Lol no. I was merely saying that IS imperfect, because it is. Teams would be wise to change the way they approach it because of that, but they likely won't. It's human nature to fall for athletic talent, so that will keep happening.

But my point in saying that was relative to Purdy and Trey. There are a few posters in here still clinging to this notion that Trey is "more talented" than Purdy and I simply don't agree. Athletically? Yes. But for what it takes to play the QB position? No.
I made one comment about it = "harped on?" Lol no.

You said the same exact thing a few days ago regarding the "imperfect" system. We want it imperfect!! That's why our staff does so damn well.
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
It's amusing and insulting to see some talk show dweebs saying Brock Purdy is the worst QB left in the playoffs. One was adamant that Daniel Jones is a WAY better QB.

Better QB? Laughable. By what measure is Jones a better QB than Purdy? Being a better runner certainly doesn't make him a better QB.

Purdy needs to keep it up for three more games and shut these fools up.

F them all it makes the story that much better and keeps the fire burning
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If Purdy went to Bama, its unlikely he plays a single snap there. Jones was a higher rated prospect coming out of high school and he had to wait three years to play and still had to show out in the preseason or its possible that Bryce Young could have been starting as a freshman. Its the reality of a big school, unless you're a top end prospect coming out of high school, you either have to wait your turn and hope your turn comes or you transfer somewhere smaller.

Even Brady struggled to be the fulltime starter at Michigan with mutli-sport super wonder Drew Henson there.

Proving that even College programs mess up and don't know what they are doing. Just like the pro draft also gets messed up. That's all it really proves. Purdy is better than Mac Jones.

Yup. Even Joe Burrow couldn't beat out guys not even in the league anymore at Ohio State in JT Barrett and Cardale Jones.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Yup. Even Joe Burrow couldn't beat out guys not even in the league anymore at Ohio State in JT Barrett and Cardale Jones.

When you are looking for a big bulldozer RB style QB. Instead of a real QB.

Brock Purdy after football

Seeing what he's doing right now i'd imagine you'd see that in practice too. Saban isn't the type to worry about the prospect status of a guy. If you can play you play.
Yea if were still the early 90's that's pretty spot on.

But the reality of the matter is that even Saban has to make some mild "promises" out there on the recruiting trail. Not to mention it only helps their entire system when they have really talented players wait their turn behind guys that are 1st Rd caliber. That's just the way it is.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 17, 2023 at 10:18 AM ]

Originally posted by 49ers808:

That's Cardale "12 Gauge" Jones, starting quarterback for the Massachusetts Pirates. Put some respect on his name.
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
You would think a username of Montana would have some knowledge of NFL QB greats. Heck, Fran Tarkenton was on MNF in 1982 when Joe played in lol.

Lol well, I have probably heard the name before, it does sound more familiar when I think of the Young years. In my defense, Pete said some might not know who Fran is, so it's ok haha. 👌 Fran was before my time, will just use that as a dumb excuse too:).

Tarkenton is a pillar QB. IE so before his time he is credited with changing the game, but you're right there is a generational aspect to it.

Montana was highly mobile, but mobility belonged to Fran Tarkenton, until Randel Cunningham redefined what the word mobile means for QBs, and it became less of a scrambler and more of a runner. Then along came Vick running for 1000 yards.

No shame in having to look it up, that is one of the great things about this sport.... it has a very storied history that can provide Entertainment decades after an event happens.

Every once in a while you run into a player with so much god given talent he would be stellar in todays game even against modern athletes, and absolutely destroyed players in his own era.

My personal favorite is Gayle Sayers..... the dude was so far ahead of his time... you see him split defenders with perfect angles on him with regularity. Dude was probably running mid 4s in the 40s when most guys were running mid 5s or worse. He held the single season TD record for decades something like 22 TDs in 12 games with something like 200 touches. There was some epic 60-80 yard runs and no defensive back would be with-in 20 yards of him when he crossed the goal line at times.... he was fast period...but epic fast for his era. There is no one in this era that is that much faster than the average of his peers.

anyways no shame man...just enjoy it.
Seeing what he's doing right now i'd imagine you'd see that in practice too. Saban isn't the type to worry about the prospect status of a guy. If you can play you play.

Mac Jones was killing it in practice in Bama. He played about as well as you can play his one season as a starter there and they won a national championship. I know you want to elevate Purdy to continue s**tting all over Mac Jones but this ain't it. Jones did literally everything they asked of him at Bama and he had opportunities to transfer out and go start elsewhere but he waited his turn behind Hurts and Tua, there was no way in hell he was going to go over either of those guys who were far more highly recruited coming out of high school.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
I'm in disbelief I just saw a segment of Chris Simms podcast where he's talking about Brock and this dude still has "they should've drafted Mac Jones" PTSD. More exactly he said they should've f**king drafted Mac Jones. He called Purdy a lesser Mac Jones, what the hell is his literally retarded as f**k obsession with Jones. McCorkle can barely sniff Purdy's jockstrap right now. Simms must be jealous AF he was himself never anything close to Purdy and was drafted way the frick higher. The guy literally sounds like he's lost his f**king mind.

Clearly Purdy is better than Mac.
But Simms is just a Kyle fangirl here.
His idea is that you can put any good processor of the game you can find and they will execute perfectly Kyle´s offense.
The reality is that even if Kyle is the best offensive mind in the business, sometimes it helps to have someone that can avoid the pressure, improvise and scramble when the scheduled play doesn´t work. Kyle is helping Brock but Brock is also helping Kyle.
[ Edited by pdc20 on Jan 17, 2023 at 11:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone