There are 240 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I guess Saban wanted to collect as much talent as he could at qb. Sent a recruiter telling Brock what he's not. Hoping he'll sign, sit, and learn on a good football university. It back fired badly lol
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Maybe this is already common knowledge, but it came as news to me. It appears that by virtue of playing out his contract, becoming a free agent, and then signing a contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, CJ Beathard earned the 49ers a 7th round compensatory pick in 2022, that pick was 262.

Originally posted by thl408:
Maybe this is already common knowledge, but it came as news to me. It appears that by virtue of playing out his contract, becoming a free agent, and then signing a contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, CJ Beathard earned the 49ers a 7th round compensatory pick in 2022, that pick was 262.

I heard that this morning from John Chapman.
  • Deebo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:

I heard that this morning from John Chapman.

So CJ Beathard was a good pick after all!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Mac Jones was killing it in practice in Bama. He played about as well as you can play his one season as a starter there and they won a national championship. I know you want to elevate Purdy to continue s**tting all over Mac Jones but this ain't it. Jones did literally everything they asked of him at Bama and he had opportunities to transfer out and go start elsewhere but he waited his turn behind Hurts and Tua, there was no way in hell he was going to go over either of those guys who were far more highly recruited coming out of high school.

Purdy didn't got to a football factory like Mac did in high school so it affected the perception. No different than in the NFL draft.

Only thing Mac has on Purdy is 2 inches in height. Don't think that would've stopped Saban.

Damn, we owe Beathard for both Kittle and Purdy
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 17, 2023 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I guess Saban wanted to collect as much talent as he could at qb. Sent a recruiter telling Brock what he's not. Hoping he'll sign, sit, and learn on a good football university. It back fired badly lol

Did it? He ended up with Hurts, Tua, Jones and a Heisman winner in Bryce Young along with winning two national championships. They couldn't have possibly had better play at quarterback really. That's just the advantage of being Bama or Ohio State. Ohio State allowed Burrows to walk and still zero f**ks were given because they got tremendous QB performances from the guys they did have.

It used to be that the bigger schools got the most elite non-QBs and wound up with guys like Troy Smith, Joe Germaine and Jay Barker at quarterback, now they're getting elite everything. Even Hurts had to transfer out because Tua was balling so hard.

Purdy turned out to be the parting gift.

Did it? He ended up with Hurts, Tua, Jones and a Heisman winner in Bryce Young along with winning two national championships. They couldn't have possibly had better play at quarterback really. That's just the advantage of being Bama or Ohio State. Ohio State allowed Burrows to walk and still zero f**ks were given because they got tremendous QB performances from the guys they did have.

It used to be that the bigger schools got the most elite non-QBs and wound up with guys like Troy Smith, Joe Germaine and Jay Barker at quarterback, now they're getting elite everything. Even Hurts had to transfer out because Tua was balling so hard.

Wait, I was thinking just in term of not getting Brock to go to 'bama

• thl408
Purdy turned out to be the parting gift.

"You the real MVP"
Wait, I was thinking just in term of not getting Brock to go to 'bama

Saban didn't care then, doubt he cares now. At this point they've got 4 and 5 stars banging down the doors to go play at Bama, especially after Young goes #1 in the draft. Drake Maye as a freshman was one of the best QB's in the country at UNC this past season, Alabama could probably have had him but Saban didn't make much of an effort to recruit him while UNC went all out. Despite that, Bama is still loaded.

With Young leaving, their current QB room features four guys that were ranked top 20 in the entire country in their respective recruiting classes. Its an absolute embarrassment of riches. A couple of those guys will end up transferring out of Bama and the programs that get them will be thanking their lucky stars for it.
@dshearn, thanks, you're awesome! Also, great write up there:) Reading up on Gale, I guess he passed not long ago. Looks like he was an amazing player.

Yup pulling a Dwight Clark moment for Kittle and sucking bad enough to get us Purdy.
Share 49ersWebzone