QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by joeknows:
It's certainly true to say that draft pick doesn't matter any more. That happens eventually for all players, but it's happened real quick for Purdy.

But just as Lance can't be written-off after 4 games, Purdy can't be anointed after 7 games.
He's grabbing on to that starter spot with a tight grip for sure, but 'set for the next decade'? Too early for me.

too early for me too

lance still has a future here IMO

Holding a clipboard, sure.

Why's it gotta be negative

Why you gotta be... So Kold(o)

NFL is brutal... and so is life.

No idea why anyone other than our rivals would hope for this. If Trey pans out, there's a strong possibility we will have the next Young and Montana. On rookie contracts. That's what I'm hoping for.

I don't root for Lance to do poorly, but I only want to see him if Purdy goes down.
regarding your rookie contract thing - we've pretty much wasted lance's rookie contract. We have two more years of $10M and then the third year at $20+M. Still relatively cheap but seems like by the time he gets enough game experience to know what we have, he will be due for a new contract.

where we have 3 more years of Purdy at $800k or so.
like I said, both are still relatively cheap, but because Lance has been hurt or not playing - we've wasted a big part of it.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 17, 2023 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
It's certainly true to say that draft pick doesn't matter any more. That happens eventually for all players, but it's happened real quick for Purdy.

But just as Lance can't be written-off after 4 games, Purdy can't be anointed after 7 games.
He's grabbing on to that starter spot with a tight grip for sure, but 'set for the next decade'? Too early for me.

too early for me too

No idea why anyone other than our rivals would hope for this. If Trey pans out, there's a strong possibility we will have the next Young and Montana. On rookie contracts. That's what I'm hoping for.

I don't root for Lance to do poorly, but I only want to see him if Purdy goes down.
regarding your rookie contract thing - we've pretty much wasted lance's rookie contract. We have two more years of $10M and then the third year at $20+M. Still relatively cheap but seems like by the time he gets enough game experience to know what we have, he will be due for a new contract.

like I said, both are still relatively cheap, but because Lance has been hurt or not playing - we've wasted a big part of it.

Cool. So at least 2 more years to see what we have in Trey, confirm that Purdy is for real. Love that!
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
He's had 8 million reps in college and boatloads of reps the past 7 games and hopefully 3 more games right?

And he looks pretty damn good right?

The reps that matter are reps in games.. ie regular season and playoff games. Brock beats Trey out in the offseason he will get damn near ALL the reps in the regular season practices and obv all the reps in the regular season games.

Open competition and may best man win - Brock looks to clearly have the edge at this point as he is playing magnificently and I couldn't be happier about it. However nothing he is doing are things Trey is not capable of. Obv Jimmy can't do at all what Brock can which is what we have been saying for YEARS to you people with an absurd infatuation with a limited qb and a severe playoff liability. Glad Brock can show you what a real QB looks like.

Trey hasn't done much to show he can do things that seem to come natural to Brock. I think Trey has massive potential that he can develop running the scout team and coming off the bench once a game is decided.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
That broken play to Aiyuk in the corner endzone, I'm pretty sure got Kyle stoked enough to where he'll design some scramble plays for Purdy in the future to take advantage of his athleticism.

I'm not sure that, by definition, you can design a scramble play. You can design a roll out or a read option or a QB run but scrambles happen when everything else breaks down.

Personally I would rather NOT see Kyle dial up any designed runs for Purdy. He's not a very big guy and that seems like a surefire way to get him hurt.

Sprint right option is a moving pocket type play that took advantage of Joe's mobility. I'm thinking of similar plays for Purdy.

The boot pass doesn't require a mobile QB, but it sure helps. So you already have seen a ton of naked boots by Brock, like the one to Deebo for that 70+ yard TD.

Scramble drills basically has rules as to where the recievers go based on where the QB is scrambling to. Mike Shanahan did a ton of those with Steve to great success.

Scramble drills is different than "designed" scramble plays. I agree with 49ers81, you can't exactly design plays like that. But yes, Purdy's sneaky athleticism and burst makes the bootlegs that much more effective.

The scramble option allows for the QB to use the scramble drill rules to adjust the WR routes on the fly. Joe would break pocket contain for an instant if he can adjust his WRs routs to get behind the defender (for example).

Basically the scramble drill rule would be (for example) if you see your QB in trouble, head to the sideline he's scrambling to. If you, as a WR is at the sideline your QB is scrambling to, then you go vertical.

Brock basically did this with Kittle on his back of the endzone TD, I think, with the Raiders. He was scrambling left and hit Kittle in the back of the endzone.

The one to Aiyuk that he dropped as well, is a good example.

too early for me too

Cool. So at least 2 more years to see what we have in Trey, confirm that Purdy is for real. Love that!

Realistically it is just 1 year

If Purdy plays next year and keeps doing what he is now with no injuries...Trey is traded after

If Purdy gets hurt then Trey gets a chance and everything is TBD and we end up with a Brees/Rivers situation in the final year
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Damn! Some people are just super obsessed with Trey like some are also same with Jimmy. I hope you guys are still getting sleep time and normal life.

😆 Right! It's almost they can't be happy for the 49ers organization so they can be correct. 😂

People didn't think like that nearly as much as much before fantasy football.

too early for me too

Trey will be nothing at San Fran except an increasingly expensive bench warmer. His future is at another team now.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
That broken play to Aiyuk in the corner endzone, I'm pretty sure got Kyle stoked enough to where he'll design some scramble plays for Purdy in the future to take advantage of his athleticism.

I'm not sure that, by definition, you can design a scramble play. You can design a roll out or a read option or a QB run but scrambles happen when everything else breaks down.

Personally I would rather NOT see Kyle dial up any designed runs for Purdy. He's not a very big guy and that seems like a surefire way to get him hurt.

Sprint right option is a moving pocket type play that took advantage of Joe's mobility. I'm thinking of similar plays for Purdy.

The boot pass doesn't require a mobile QB, but it sure helps. So you already have seen a ton of naked boots by Brock, like the one to Deebo for that 70+ yard TD.

Scramble drills basically has rules as to where the recievers go based on where the QB is scrambling to. Mike Shanahan did a ton of those with Steve to great success.

Scramble drills is different than "designed" scramble plays. I agree with 49ers81, you can't exactly design plays like that. But yes, Purdy's sneaky athleticism and burst makes the bootlegs that much more effective.

The scramble option allows for the QB to use the scramble drill rules to adjust the WR routes on the fly. Joe would break pocket contain for an instant if he can adjust his WRs routs to get behind the defender (for example).

Basically the scramble drill rule would be (for example) if you see your QB in trouble, head to the sideline he's scrambling to. If you, as a WR is at the sideline your QB is scrambling to, then you go vertical.

Brock basically did this with Kittle on his back of the endzone TD, I think, with the Raiders. He was scrambling left and hit Kittle in the back of the endzone.

The one to Aiyuk that he dropped as well, is a good example.

It was a shame Aiyuk dropped that, it was a very nice pass.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He's had 8 million reps in college and boatloads of reps the past 7 games and hopefully 3 more games right?

The reps that matter are reps in games.. ie regular season and playoff games. Brock beats Trey out in the offseason he will get damn near ALL the reps in the regular season practices and obv all the reps in the regular season games.

Open competition and may best man win - Brock looks to clearly have the edge at this point as he is playing magnificently and I couldn't be happier about it. However nothing he is doing are things Trey is not capable of. Obv Jimmy can't do at all what Brock can which is what we have been saying for YEARS to you people with an absurd infatuation with a limited qb and a severe playoff liability. Glad Brock can show you what a real QB looks like.

Trey hasn't done much to show he can do things that seem to come natural to Brock. I think Trey has massive potential that he can develop running the scout team and coming off the bench once a game is decided.

The concept that there will be a competition between QBs during the preseason is pure fantasy. Brock has done enough to secure QB1 already. It is nuts to think that Kyle is still trying to make his mind up about that. What the QB School video a couple of pages back if you don't believe me. The QB1 race is run and won.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

It's just crazy that Lance still has to develop and Brock looks to already be developed. Brock was the last pick in the draft, is undefeated, better stats than Jimmy's playoff career, going to play in a huge rival game this weekend, and could potentially win a SB. Brock and Lances salaries are low for the next few years so we ll be able to extend our key guys and sign other FA's. Reminds me when Wilson was on his rookie deal in SEA and for a couple years SEA was able to sign key guys.

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

too early for me too

Realistically it is just 1 year

If Purdy plays next year and keeps doing what he is now with no injuries...Trey is traded after

If Purdy gets hurt then Trey gets a chance and everything is TBD and we end up with a Brees/Rivers situation in the final year

This

Trey's 5th-year option must be exercised after next season.

Would you be willing to pay 20M+ for a backup QB who's still a work in progress?
This

Trey's 5th-year option must be exercised after next season.

Would you be willing to pay 20M+ for a backup QB who's still a work in progress?

We ain't there yet smokey..

If you had Brock is Montana on your 2022 bingo card good for you..

No one knows where TL will be at end of season 2023, maybe he gets a chance to play and has some historic games
what is mind blowing for me is that Big Cock Brock had no reps in practice as a starter, no NFL game experience, and came in from play #1 and balled out... that just doesn't happen for a rookie QB... he is special and will only get better
Damn! Some people are just super obsessed with Trey like some are also same with Jimmy. I hope you guys are still getting sleep time and normal life.

😆 Right! It's almost they can't be happy for the 49ers organization so they can be correct. 😂

They are deeply emotionally invested in a player who can't play. Versus a player who has shown star qualities already. It's super weird and irrational. They just got to be "right." Even if they are wrong.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

They are deeply emotionally invested in a player who can't play. Versus a player who has shown star qualities already. It's super weird and irrational. They just got to be "right." Even if they are wrong.

its a religion now
Share 49ersWebzone