Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by joeknows:
It's certainly true to say that draft pick doesn't matter any more. That happens eventually for all players, but it's happened real quick for Purdy.

But just as Lance can't be written-off after 4 games, Purdy can't be anointed after 7 games.
He's grabbing on to that starter spot with a tight grip for sure, but 'set for the next decade'? Too early for me.

too early for me too

lance still has a future here IMO

Holding a clipboard, sure.

Why's it gotta be negative

Why you gotta be... So Kold(o)

NFL is brutal... and so is life.

No idea why anyone other than our rivals would hope for this. If Trey pans out, there's a strong possibility we will have the next Young and Montana. On rookie contracts. That's what I'm hoping for.

I don't root for Lance to do poorly, but I only want to see him if Purdy goes down.
regarding your rookie contract thing - we've pretty much wasted lance's rookie contract. We have two more years of $10M and then the third year at $20+M. Still relatively cheap but seems like by the time he gets enough game experience to know what we have, he will be due for a new contract.

where we have 3 more years of Purdy at $800k or so.
like I said, both are still relatively cheap, but because Lance has been hurt or not playing - we've wasted a big part of it.

Cool. So at least 2 more years to see what we have in Trey, confirm that Purdy is for real. Love that!

It really shouldn't take a team that long to figure out what you have. If we wait that long, he loses all his trade value. The whole team loves playing with Purdy and are thriving with him. Makes no sense to even entertain the idea of having Lance take QB1 reps. At best, we use him in packages next year for trick plays or whatever.

i think keeping him is the best option for next year so we have a good backup at worst, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him to get some draft picks this year and next. We would be able to get some quality Oline picks in this draft.

i don't think Trey will be a bad qb in this league, I think Dak is his best case scenario - which I don't want at all. I may be wrong, and time will tell, maybe. Lol if he can stay healthy.

we have a qb who is mobile, accurate, high football IQ, leader, calm/poised etc. so we have found what we wanted. No reason to mess with it.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 17, 2023 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Damn! Some people are just super obsessed with Trey like some are also same with Jimmy. I hope you guys are still getting sleep time and normal life.

😆 Right! It's almost they can't be happy for the 49ers organization so they can be correct. 😂

People didn't think like that nearly as much as much before fantasy football.

They are deeply emotionally invested in a player who can't play. Versus a player who has shown star qualities already. It's super weird and irrational. They just got to be "right." Even if they are wrong.

its a religion now

It seems that way.
Lance takes a back seat to Purdy. With a deep run into the playoffs, Lance gets left by the side of the road. See Ya!
You know what's weird? Everyone I know who is a Niner fan (which is a lot - coming from Northern California) absolutely loves Purdy and is excited for him.

I've never met anyone in person who was actually excited and truly believed in Lance. Lol going back to when we drafted him. They're always how I am, optimistic, but not really expecting too much. Lol I only see it on here.

i hope both have great careers. I hope both never have injuries.

regardless, both will be super bowl champions - after Purdy leads us to the promise land after this year. 😈😈
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by joeknows:
It's certainly true to say that draft pick doesn't matter any more. That happens eventually for all players, but it's happened real quick for Purdy.

But just as Lance can't be written-off after 4 games, Purdy can't be anointed after 7 games.
He's grabbing on to that starter spot with a tight grip for sure, but 'set for the next decade'? Too early for me.

too early for me too

lance still has a future here IMO

Holding a clipboard, sure.

Why's it gotta be negative

Why you gotta be... So Kold(o)

NFL is brutal... and so is life.

No idea why anyone other than our rivals would hope for this. If Trey pans out, there's a strong possibility we will have the next Young and Montana. On rookie contracts. That's what I'm hoping for.

I don't root for Lance to do poorly, but I only want to see him if Purdy goes down.
regarding your rookie contract thing - we've pretty much wasted lance's rookie contract. We have two more years of $10M and then the third year at $20+M. Still relatively cheap but seems like by the time he gets enough game experience to know what we have, he will be due for a new contract.

where we have 3 more years of Purdy at $800k or so.
like I said, both are still relatively cheap, but because Lance has been hurt or not playing - we've wasted a big part of it.

Cool. So at least 2 more years to see what we have in Trey, confirm that Purdy is for real. Love that!

It really shouldn't take a team that long to figure out what you have. If we wait that long, he loses all his trade value. The whole team loves playing with Purdy and are thriving with him. Makes no sense to even entertain the idea of having Lance take QB1 reps. At best, we use him in packages next year for trick plays or whatever.

i think keeping him is the best option for next year so we have a good backup at worst, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him to get some draft picks this year and next. We would be able to get some quality Oline picks in this draft.

i don't think Trey will be a bad qb in this league, I think Dak is his best case scenario - which I don't want at all. I may be wrong, and time will tell, maybe. Lol if he can stay healthy.

we have a qb who is mobile, accurate, high football IQ, leader, calm/poised etc. so we have found what we wanted. No reason to mess with it.

It absolutely should. I love what I see from Purdy so far, but need to see it sustained in order to fully believe, and the reverse is true with Trey. I fell into that trap once before when we went all in with Jimmy. How long would you say it took to know exactly what we had in him?
You know what's weird? Everyone I know who is a Niner fan (which is a lot - coming from Northern California) absolutely loves Purdy and is excited for him.

I've never met anyone in person who was actually excited and truly believed in Lance. Lol going back to when we drafted him. They're always how I am, optimistic, but not really expecting too much. Lol I only see it on here.

i hope both have great careers. I hope both never have injuries.

regardless, both will be super bowl champions - after Purdy leads us to the promise land after this year. 😈😈

He was kind of a reach and inexperienced. Versus Purdy who was very experienced in College. If they wanted an athletic QB it was Fields. I never really understood how Lance is better than Fields? At what? I can't think of anything.
It absolutely should. I love what I see from Purdy so far, but need to see it sustained in order to fully believe, and the reverse is true with Trey. I fell into that trap once before when we went all in with Jimmy. How long would you say it took to know exactly what we had in him?

Purdy def needs to sustain his excellent level of play, that's true. As long as we don't suffer a ton of injuries to key players - he won't regress. This guy is literally improving half to half - he did that against Seattle. A play he couldn't hit in the first half, he crushed in the second. Extremely impressive.

we just don't have enough time to figure out what he can do anymore, not since we found someone to fill the need we had. Unless he's willing to resign for 5-8M as a backup when his contract expires, garbage time, or Purdy gets hurt - I don't think we see him again in the regular season.

the odds of him having a massive leap in his performance, especially since he is still on crutches and will miss the next several months of training, isn't very likely. I don't want to spend the next two seasons watching mediocre - good qb play with this roster - hoping he shows us something we haven't seen at all. I'll rock with the guy we know.

if Purdy gets hurt, you bet your ass I'll root and hope that Lance balls. He's a good kid from a good family. I don't have anything against him, I just doubt his potential.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 17, 2023 at 3:47 PM ]
He was kind of a reach and inexperienced. Versus Purdy who was very experienced in College. If they wanted an athletic QB it was Fields. I never really understood how Lance is better than Fields? At what? I can't think of anything.

Yeah, drafting him blew my mind. I'll never forget where I was. Lol it was this huge restaurant with a bunch of people and televisions. My buddy was crying on the ground laughing. Lol

i really wanted us to draft fields. That was my favorite guy in the group. Great arm, processes well, special athlete. Etc.

I've always kind of felt like me hoping Trey would be a superstar was similar to me hoping I'd win the lottery. Unlikely, but still optimistic. Lol
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 17, 2023 at 3:48 PM ]

We have multiple QBs with those traits,...and actually there is something to "mess with",...as the last guy he named a season's starter is Trey Lance.

So he'll have to officially change his mind publicly/before the team on that decision, for the 2nd year straight.

Or,...he could, as you suggested,...."not mess with" anything and pick things up where they left off pre-injury with Lance as the starter.

And stay with it so as to not seem like he's playing musical chairs until he's fully convinced that he's currently given up on Lance being/developing as our starting QB.

Soooo,...just correcting your vision on things and how they're really slated to play out.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 17, 2023 at 3:51 PM ]
Originally posted by father49er:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Good, pre-nap watch.

Nice video, but he calls BCB Bryce Purdy at the end of the video.

I thought I heard that! I didn't want to back it up to see, but was sure he said Bryce Purdy there. Glad I was hearing correctly. 🤣

• pdc20
  • Veteran

I don´t know, maybe working under center? Running something that looked like Shanahan´s offense? Not keeping too much the ball? Not taking unecessary sacks? And I would probably have choosen Fields if I was the Niners at that time.
But did you watch Fields with the Bears? I understand why Kyle was not interested and preferred Trey Lance and Mac Jones.
Jonny's breakdown of our playoff game. SIAP:

Originally posted by random49er:
We have multiple QBs with those traits,...and actually there is something to "mess with",...as the last guy he named a season's starter is Trey Lance.

So he'll have to officially change his mind publicly/before the team on that decision, for the 2nd year straight.

Or,...he could, as you suggested,...."not mess with" anything and pick things up where they left off pre-injury with Lance as the starter.

And stay with it so as to not seem like he's playing musical chairs until he's fully convinced that he's currently given up on Lance being/developing as our starting QB.

Soooo,...just correcting your vision on things and how they're really slated to play out.

Lmao okay. So in your mind, Lance is still QB1? Last time I checked - the person starting is QB1.

why the hell would shanahan say ANYTHING about next years starter while we are in the playoffs? How would that benefit the team? How would it help anything?
it's not "giving up" on Lance - giving up is when you don't think they're anything and move on. Lance has just been beat out and out performed for the spot. It took literally EVERYONE 1-3 games to realize that Purdy is better than Lance - similar starts.

just look at the play calling with purdy vs Lance. It's obvious who shanahan has more confidence in. Lance is busy trying to learn how to slide and be accurate with an outside coach.

they'll talk internally with the QBs after the season is over and let them know what the plan is before announcing anything. Which is when I anticipate Lance will request a trade, and id completely understand it. He's young and needs to play - id consider doing the same thing, depending on my options.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 17, 2023 at 4:03 PM ]
Originally posted by pdc20:

I don´t know, maybe working under center? Running something that looked like Shanahan´s offense? Not keeping too much the ball? Not taking unecessary sacks? And I would probably have choosen Fields if I was the Niners at that time.
But did you watch Fields with the Bears? I understand why Kyle was not interested and preferred Trey Lance and Mac Jones.

Fields is on a horrible team. Lol Lance is on arguably the best team in the league with a top coaching staff.

fiekds still won… by THROWING TO DANTE PETTIS.
Originally posted by random49er:

Lmao okay. So in your mind, Lance is still QB1? Last time I checked - the person starting is QB1.

why the hell would shanahan say ANYTHING about next years starter while we are in the playoffs? How would that benefit the team? How would it help anything?

they'll talk internally with the QBs after the season is over and let them know what the plan is before announcing anything.

There is no "In my mind." I'm taking you through a factual timeline.

Jimmy was our starter throughout a full season of having his replacement right behind him. Eventually, Shanahan needed to name his starter for 2022, whether Jimmy's shoulder was still recovering or not. And he did that,...you can go check.

If there is a new direction, he'll need to do the same for next season. Conversations need to be had and whether to the QB Room, the Locker Room, or to everyone,...he'll need to eventually say he's changed his mind on who the starter is, just like the year before. When there is a permanent switch that's not just due to injury, as a HC, you eventually have to let people know. You're not a HC of course, so this might kinda fly right by you.

But leaving things the same would be keeping the injured starter as your #1. I can't make it any clearer.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 17, 2023 at 4:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone