There are 429 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by tankle104:
We have multiple QBs with those traits,...and actually there is something to "mess with",...as the last guy he named a season's starter is Trey Lance.

So he'll have to officially change his mind publicly/before the team on that decision, for the 2nd year straight.

Or,...he could, as you suggested,...."not mess with" anything and pick things up where they left off pre-injury with Lance as the starter.

And stay with it so as to not seem like he's playing musical chairs until he's fully convinced that he's currently given up on Lance being/developing as our starting QB.

Soooo,...just correcting your vision on things and how they're really slated to play out.

Lmao okay. So in your mind, Lance is still QB1? Last time I checked - the person starting is QB1.

why the hell would shanahan say ANYTHING about next years starter while we are in the playoffs? How would that benefit the team? How would it help anything?

they'll talk internally with the QBs after the season is over and let them know what the plan is before announcing anything.

There is no "In my mind." I'm taking you through a factual timeline.

Jimmy was our starter throughout a full season of having his replacement right behind him. Eventually, Shanahan needed to name his starter for 2022, whether Jimmy's shoulder was still recovering or not.

If there is a new direction, he'll need to do the same for next season. Conversations need to be had and whether to the QB Room, the Locker Room, or to everyone,...he'll need to eventually say he's changed his mind on who the starter is, just like the year before. When there is a permanent switch that's not just due to injury, you eventually have to let people know.

Leaving things the same would be keeping the injured starter as your #1. I can't make it any clearer.

You're just trying to play some technicality game to be right. Lol which you aren't right.

But I really don't care. I'm not here to debate if Trey is still QB1 when he has started 4 games in 2 years. And 5 games in like 4 years.

if he earns it this off season, great. But there is no reason to give him the starting job anymore since we found what we were looking for at the position.

the only way Trey is starting on this team - is if he is gifted the job, again.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 17, 2023 at 4:08 PM ]
You're just trying to play some technicality game to be right.

Not at all. You're just not understanding and that's perfectly fine. Let's move on.

lol but he's still QB1 cause he was giving the job a year ago! Oh, and we know just as much today about him as we did 2 years ago when we drafted him.
You're just trying to play some technicality game to be right.

Not at all. You're just not understanding and that's perfectly fine. Let's move on.

I understand exactly what you're saying. I just think it's nonsense and a strange thing to try to debate with.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
We have multiple QBs with those traits,...and actually there is something to "mess with",...as the last guy he named a season's starter is Trey Lance.

So he'll have to officially change his mind publicly/before the team on that decision, for the 2nd year straight.

Or,...he could, as you suggested,...."not mess with" anything and pick things up where they left off pre-injury with Lance as the starter.

And stay with it so as to not seem like he's playing musical chairs until he's fully convinced that he's currently given up on Lance being/developing as our starting QB.

Soooo,...just correcting your vision on things and how they're really slated to play out.

Lmao okay. So in your mind, Lance is still QB1? Last time I checked - the person starting is QB1.

why the hell would shanahan say ANYTHING about next years starter while we are in the playoffs? How would that benefit the team? How would it help anything?

they'll talk internally with the QBs after the season is over and let them know what the plan is before announcing anything.

There is no "In my mind." I'm taking you through a factual timeline.

Jimmy was our starter throughout a full season of having his replacement right behind him. Eventually, Shanahan needed to name his starter for 2022, whether Jimmy's shoulder was still recovering or not.

If there is a new direction, he'll need to do the same for next season. Conversations need to be had and whether to the QB Room, the Locker Room, or to everyone,...he'll need to eventually say he's changed his mind on who the starter is, just like the year before. When there is a permanent switch that's not just due to injury, you eventually have to let people know.

Leaving things the same would be keeping the injured starter as your #1. I can't make it any clearer.

You're just trying to play some technicality game to be right. Lol which you aren't right.

But I really don't care. I'm not here to debate if Trey is still QB1 when he has started 4 games in 2 years. And 5 games in like 4 years.

if he earns it this off season, great. But there is no reason to give him the starting job anymore since we found what we were looking for at the position.

the only way Trey is starting on this team - is if he is gifted the job, again.

He's holding on by a very thin thread, just let him have it lol.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He was kind of a reach and inexperienced. Versus Purdy who was very experienced in College. If they wanted an athletic QB it was Fields. I never really understood how Lance is better than Fields? At what? I can't think of anything.

I don´t know, maybe working under center? Running something that looked like Shanahan´s offense? Not keeping too much the ball? Not taking unecessary sacks? And I would probably have choosen Fields if I was the Niners at that time.
But did you watch Fields with the Bears? I understand why Kyle was not interested and preferred Trey Lance and Mac Jones.

Fields is on a horrible team. Lol Lance is on arguably the best team in the league with a top coaching staff.

fiekds still won… by THROWING TO DANTE PETTIS.

Watch the Bears draft Bryce Young. It will be hilarious and smart at the same time.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

lol but he's still QB1 cause he was giving the job a year ago! Oh, and we know just as much today about him as we did 2 years ago when we drafted him.

He was drafted really high and has a rocket arm, so... QB1.
Originally posted by Furlow:

This. And dont forget hes strong and built. Good athlete.
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He was kind of a reach and inexperienced. Versus Purdy who was very experienced in College. If they wanted an athletic QB it was Fields. I never really understood how Lance is better than Fields? At what? I can't think of anything.

I don´t know, maybe working under center? Running something that looked like Shanahan´s offense? Not keeping too much the ball? Not taking unecessary sacks? And I would probably have choosen Fields if I was the Niners at that time.
But did you watch Fields with the Bears? I understand why Kyle was not interested and preferred Trey Lance and Mac Jones.

Fields is on a horrible team. Lol Lance is on arguably the best team in the league with a top coaching staff.

fiekds still won… by THROWING TO DANTE PETTIS.

Idk if you paid attention to this team early in the season, but we were 3-4 at one point. We lose to some horrible teams when Lance was not the starter either.
You know what's weird? Everyone I know who is a Niner fan (which is a lot - coming from Northern California) absolutely loves Purdy and is excited for him.

I've never met anyone in person who was actually excited and truly believed in Lance. Lol going back to when we drafted him. They're always how I am, optimistic, but not really expecting too much. Lol I only see it on here.

i hope both have great careers. I hope both never have injuries.

regardless, both will be super bowl champions - after Purdy leads us to the promise land after this year. 😈😈

There were plenty of people on this forum who wanted Lance lol. I wanted Fields too, but just bc a couple of your buddies thought differently doesn't mean "no one"

I understand exactly what you're saying. I just think it's nonsense and a strange thing to try to debate with.

What debate? I simply told you that Kyle will eventually have to speak on it. There's nothing to debate,...it's just standard procedure.
Yeah, drafting him blew my mind. I'll never forget where I was. Lol it was this huge restaurant with a bunch of people and televisions. My buddy was crying on the ground laughing. Lol

i really wanted us to draft fields. That was my favorite guy in the group. Great arm, processes well, special athlete. Etc.

I've always kind of felt like me hoping Trey would be a superstar was similar to me hoping I'd win the lottery. Unlikely, but still optimistic. Lol

Processes well? Lmao. Now you are just making stuff up. His biggest knock was that he basically ran a 1-2 read option at OSU.

He supposedly wasn't ready and was just a very good athlete. Have you seen some of his games? He's been awful as a passer even in year 2. He's a solid RB though
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Jim Drukenmiller approves.

even though I understand why he wasn't going to win the award, I think it's insane that he isn't a finalist? What a joke. Lol

the awards in the nfl have become such a joke over the last 6-8 years.

Ironically, the rookie who actually played a big part helping his team get to the playoffs is the only one left out. The rest are sitting at home currently.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Jim Drukenmiller approves.

We still owe Jim Druckenmiller the opportunity to show what he has. We should have gave him reps for a season or two. He had potential to be one of the best QB ever to play the game. Jeff Garcia was good but he had noodle arms and was short.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Jan 17, 2023 at 4:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone